It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

mathgrrl HB User
vaginal pain, leg pain, abdominal pain

I don't have insurance, but even when I did I could never get my doctors to even listen about my menstrual pains, which are getting progressively worse. I was wondering if anyone has had these symptoms and what it was:

I'm 33, overweight, smoker until three months ago, not sexually active since 2003, had an ovarian cyst at 14 and had my right ovary removed

Symptoms

Before period
  • General abdominal discomfort for about a week before
  • Depression, anxiety, confusion
  • I'm in school right now and if I have a test during the week before my period I always do much worse than I do normally. As in, I normally get high As in most of my classes but during this time I can barely pull out a low B.
  • Cystic acne
  • Insomnia
  • Sharp twisting pains in my left side (flank pain).

During period
  • Extremely heavy bleeding the first day and night (an "ultra" tampon every hour)
  • Severe general abdominal pain
  • Around day 4 very severe localized pain on the right side associated with very fast flowing bleeding that is thin, watery and bright orange
  • Vertigo
  • Leg weakness
  • Nausea
  • Every once in a while vomiting and I've passed out a couple of times.

After period
  • About a week after my period I have vaginal pain that starts out like pinching and then feels kind of crampy, the pain sometimes shoots down the inside of my thigh and feels like I have something hot being pushed into my lower inside of my thigh. This lasts for 4 - 5 days.
  • Ribbons of fresh blood in cervical mucous during the same time.

My last pap was in 2002.

I hope to have insurance when I transfer to university at the beginning of next year. I'm afraid to go to see a doctor now because if I am diagnosed with something it won't be covered when I do get insurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: vaginal pain, leg pain, abdominal pain

part of it could be anemia from blood loss I think you might want to get checked out asap

Old 06-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

Karen128 HB User

Congrats on quitting smoking!! Keep it up.

You've got to go in for a pap and general exam now. That's too long to wait even though you're not sexually active it's worth having the check up because they'll feel your abdomen, check for cancer, and do a general check up and see if they can help with your problems. Try to find a low cost clinic because it's way better to find out if there's a problem now than waiting for it to get worse.

The only thing that helped my Cystic acne was the pill. It may be really worth taking for the side effects as it will help period cramping a lot too. It helped my PMS too. You may have to try a couple different pills to find the right one. But if there's nothing serious going on, you may find a lot of relief from it. I had severe cramps and fainted from them when I was in my late teens/early 20s and I wish I had taken the pill back then!

My DH had unexplained lower abdominal pain (not severe, but uncomfortable) and the Dr said he should drink more water to help his digestion. And it seems to have helped.

I hope you have luck and at least get a pap/check up.

PS: Consider taking up walking or light jogging to help you feel better too. I used to be obese and finally decided to change my lifestyle. I've been normal weight for a number of years now by jogging and changing what and how much I eat. I don't have the pain in the hips I used to and I feel a lot more self confidence.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

mathgrrl HB User

Thanks for the thoughts, ladies. I have decided to wait on getting any kind of exam until I have insurance. It does me no good to get diagnosed with something now when I can't afford treatment anyway. All that would do is make it impossible for me to get treatment once I do have insurance (at the beginning of next year). I've had these symptoms for about 5 years, so I feel like it can't be anything too bad like cancer, or I would already be dead or grossly ill.

Closed Thread