It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

shejac08 HB User
TVH with cystocele and rectocele repair

Hello, this is my first time posting on this site. I have however been reading a lot of similar posts and I am scared!! I am having surgery of August 26. Vaginal hysterectomy with cystocele and rectocele repair. I am keeping my one healthy ovary. I just want to know if there is any positive outcome in having this surgery? My husband and I have been married for less than a year and sex is an important part of our life. Also we are very active people ( exercise, bike riding). I feel like I'm not getting a straight answer when I question my doctors, except to say it might be different. Also what is the average time out of work? I do most of my work at a desk but do have to carry heavy file and walk a lot during the day also. My cystocele is worst than my rectocele. My uterus is prolapse about half way down my vagina. My life is not unbearable now. I feel like I will make my quality of life worse having this procedure. But on the other hand, not having it could only result in a worsening problem. Anything positive out there?? Only hearing negative!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: TVH with cystocele and rectocele repair

I had rectocele surgery less than a week ago. I also have a small cystocele but this was not, in the doctor's opinion, bad enough to need surgery.

The operation was not bad at all; I was surprised how little pain I had. I did not have my uterus removed, however.

I was walking the same day, the catheter came out the next day also, and I went home on the 3rd day. Then I had to go back yesterday (Day 5) because my vaginal bleeding suddenly increased. Yet nothing had to be done, it stopped while at the emergency room, and seems to be OK now - a small amount of discharge is normal for up to 6 weeks, but not heavy bleeding which I had from 5 AM to around noon yesterday.

The ER doctor was not able to discern the cause, but since it was stopping, he sent me home.

I am generally quite happy with the results; I have very lttle pain, the stitches inside will dissolve and I think the other stiches taken in the perineal area may fall out or the doc may have to remvve them, I forgot to ask!

If you have a lot of trouble because of your multiple conditions, go ahead and have it done, just make sure your doctor has a lot of experience and you feel safe and comfortable with her/him.

Good luck,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

shejac08 HB User

Thanks for writing. I haven't seen many posts with all three problems. I'm just not sure about the damage that will be done to my vagina as a result of having these procedures done. The mesh that they will be using in the repairing of the cystocele can make sex painful for a long time. And no one is sure if I will enjoy sex again. Did you have mesh repair for your rectocele?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

No, just stiches in the vagina and around the area between the anus and the vagina. This narrows the whole area and strengthens the tissues so that they can hold in place instead of beng so loose and saggy that parts of the rectum or bladder can bulge into it. Going by how easy it is now to have a BM in spite of so recently having surgery, it worked. There is definitely no bulge there now. Just many stitches that have to heal fully. Meanwhile I must not strain, lift anything heavy, or get too exhausted.

Love,

Martha

Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

shejac

Why such a long wait for the surgery? Are you having it done in Boston? I am assuming that you have researched all of your options. I guess I am concerned about your remark that you are not getting a straight answer to all of your questions. Well you must be completely comfortable with your surgeon to the extent that ALL of your questions are answered to your satisfaction. What type of surgeon is doing the procedure (general or urogyn)? Well you have plenty of time to check out all of your options and get opinions from other medical providers. You need to go into this surgery knowing that you have exhausted all the other options that may be available to you. After all--you have only been married for one year and bed time play is a very important to a relationship.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
(female)

helenm55 HB User

Hi,
I have had my bladder repaired (suspened in a sling of mesh) 14 years ago through the abdomen though not the vagina,I also had a hysterectomy 12 years ago through the abdomen, I have 20 days ago now had my urethra straightened and a enterocele, rectocele, my vagina has also been lifted and fully pelvic floor repair done through the vagina, it was surposed to be done through the abdomen but from my other surgries I had too many adhesions so he had to close me up and do it from the vagina. My surgen told me that the bladder repair was still strong after 14 years I too am worried about painful sex after having vaginal surgery and it is too soon to try but my surgen does assure me everything will be alright. You will not be able to feel the mesh at all, my vagina is now strengthened both sides and the top with mesh and my surgen says it will not be felt at all You need to voice your concerns to your surgen so that he can reasure you. I hope it all goes well for you
Helen x x x

Last edited by helenm55; 06-22-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: adding additional information

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I never thought I would say this, but perhaps being 70 and not having a sexual partner (separated from long term husband 9 years ago) is making life EASIER for me at the moment ....

Love,

Martha

Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
(female)

shejac08 HB User

I have a lot going on over the summer. Just had a wedding in the family and my oldest is getting married in July. Also because I was stubborn and would only see a female urologist/surgeon, that was a convenient date for everyone. My gynecologist is doing the tvh and rectocele repair, the urologist is taking care of the cystocele. I guess the reason I said that my questions were not being answered is because my gynecologist is like " don't worry, I'll take good care of you." Also when she told me I needed to have surgery, she was so matter-of-fact about it. Done having kids so take it all out. I should mention however that my husband and I have an appt. today to discuss my concerns. Thanks you all for the posts. Sheri

Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
(female)

shejac08 HB User

Hi Martha, I am having the rectocele done with only stitches. That is the smallest problem. The cystocele is being done with mesh. I guess it's the mesh horror stories I am worried about. Erosion is a big concern. And I've read that sex can be uncomfortable for man too. I never thought sex would seem so important. I kind of wish I could put it off until both my husband and I don't care as much anymore. He says he's not worried. I don't think he fully understands my feelings though. Thanks for writing, Sheri

Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
(female)

shejac08 HB User

Hi Just had a talk with a physician's assistant at my gynecology office. After listening to my concerns, she advised me to see a urogynecologist at a hospital in Boston. A doctor that she's very familiar with specializes in the type of surgery I need. She said if she was in my position, she would want the best, and from what she says he is. I have to call for an appointment and at least see him for a consult. I feel a little more in control now than I did. I want to come out of this thing whole!! So, for the time being I may have to put of the surgery date.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
(female)

Calleigh HB User

I had exactly the same things done last April 2008: TVH, cystocele and rectocele repair and a Monarc sling (TOT) put in for stress incontinence.
I wish I could say that everything worked out well and is going fine. Unfortunately, I can't. A couple months after surgery, I felt the 'bulge' starting again. Sure enough, when I returned to the doctor, she told me that the cystocele was reforming. I was also having extreme difficulty urinating---the TOT sling was too tight. So I ended up back in the OR in August 2008....first to remove the sling and second, to again fix the cystocele.
I came out of the hospital with high hopes, even though I knew the stress incontinence would return. But I was willing to live with urinating on myself when I laughed, coughed, etc if only the cystocele would remain fixed.
Fast forward to January 2008---I'm not kidding, the dang cystocele just won't stay put!! I returned to my doctor in March 2009 who not only confirmed it was back, but now the rectocele has too!!! GRRRRRR!!! I simply don't know what else to do. I know I can't afford to keep returning to the OR every 4-6 months.
The doctor has agreed to yet another surgery. With it being almost July 2009, I know you must be wondering why I haven't had surgery yet. Unfortunately, I had to put it off for a couple of months due to an unrelated accident that forced me to have surgery on my knee. I'm now recovering from that. But as soon as I'm able to, I plan on going back in for more surgery down below. We've discussed it at great length and the doctor told me that she was going to talk to some colleagues and figure out a better plan of action than what we've chosen previously. Hopefully it will work out this time.
So YES I am in full agreement. See someone who specializes in this sort of work---it certainly isn't foolproof nor failure-proof. A urogynecologist will be the way to go as they've had more training in these areas. Good luck with everything!! I hope your's works out much simpler than mine has...as I'm sure it will.

~Calleigh~

Old 06-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Gosh, Calleigh, what a horrible year for you it has been. I do hope they finally get it right. It is scary to think it can go wrong that badly. I wish you luck in the upcoming surgery and HOPE they get it right this time.

As for me, I have decided that no matter what happens, I will not go back for more surgery! I hope the rectocele does not come back, and now, one week post op, it definitely has not, because I can go to the bathroom ever so much more easily than before surgery, in spite of all the stitches that are only begining to heal. But if it did go bad, I think I would learn to live with the situation before I would return for more of the same surgery ....

Love,

Martha

Old 06-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #13
(female)

shejac08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleigh View Post
I had exactly the same things done last April 2008: TVH, cystocele and rectocele repair and a Monarc sling (TOT) put in for stress incontinence.
I wish I could say that everything worked out well and is going fine. Unfortunately, I can't. A couple months after surgery, I felt the 'bulge' starting again. Sure enough, when I returned to the doctor, she told me that the cystocele was reforming. I was also having extreme difficulty urinating---the TOT sling was too tight. So I ended up back in the OR in August 2008....first to remove the sling and second, to again fix the cystocele.
I came out of the hospital with high hopes, even though I knew the stress incontinence would return. But I was willing to live with urinating on myself when I laughed, coughed, etc if only the cystocele would remain fixed.
Fast forward to January 2008---I'm not kidding, the dang cystocele just won't stay put!! I returned to my doctor in March 2009 who not only confirmed it was back, but now the rectocele has too!!! GRRRRRR!!! I simply don't know what else to do. I know I can't afford to keep returning to the OR every 4-6 months.
The doctor has agreed to yet another surgery. With it being almost July 2009, I know you must be wondering why I haven't had surgery yet. Unfortunately, I had to put it off for a couple of months due to an unrelated accident that forced me to have surgery on my knee. I'm now recovering from that. But as soon as I'm able to, I plan on going back in for more surgery down below. We've discussed it at great length and the doctor told me that she was going to talk to some colleagues and figure out a better plan of action than what we've chosen previously. Hopefully it will work out this time.
So YES I am in full agreement. See someone who specializes in this sort of work---it certainly isn't foolproof nor failure-proof. A urogynecologist will be the way to go as they've had more training in these areas. Good luck with everything!! I hope your's works out much simpler than mine has...as I'm sure it will.

~Calleigh~
Calleigh, I think I feel better seeing someone who specializes in this field too. I want to try to avoid what's happened to you. Please let me know how you make out. Sheri

Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
(female)

Mo Mom HB User

Sheri, I came to this forum for the same reason you did... looking for information about rectocele and cystocele repair. I had surgery 11 weeks ago. My experience hasn't been as pleasant as Martha's. Honestly, it was a very difficult and painful recovery. I am feeling good now, but still have some discomfort from time to time, and still have not been released to have intercourse. I do think my doctor will say it is ok to try having sex at 12 weeks, but he has been upfront with me that it will be very painful for a while. He does reassure me that it will get better with time and in the long run the surgery was the right thing to do. As far as my recovery, my doctor's rules were no work for 6-8 weeks, lifting limited to a gallon of milk for 6 weeks, then 15-20 pounds for a while, and rest, rest, rest. Sitting was near impossible for weeks as it felt like I was sitting on a rod. One post I read said they felt like they had been kicked in the crotch by a mule... perfect description! A lot of this can be tempered by ice (worked for me) and pain pills. I had mesh put in place to hold up the rectum and bladder, and also the urethra. I had a suprapubic catheter placed which I had to take home from the hospital. I was in the hospital for 5 days, and the catheter was removed the following week. I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago because of a prolapsed uterus. Would I do it again? Yes, because knowing that my rectum was coming out of my vagina was just... ugh... gross. I know there are medical reasons, but really, that's just not right! I didn't enjoy having to wear pads because of incontinence either (BTW, I'm 42, married, w/3 active kids). But I did wait a full year to have the surgery until it fit better into my schedule and I could mentally prepare for it (I even cancelled once and rescheduled to several months later). It also gave my husband time to prepare since he had to take time off from work to be with me.

I hope this helps and that I wasn't too blunt. I wish I'd had a little more knowledge about the recovery period, but 11 weeks later all is well.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
(female)

jill60 HB User

I had a LAVH with cystocele & rectocele repairs. I did have a urologist in with the gyn dr. that perfomed the cystocele surgery.
I felt like I had a baby, all stitched up!

When my husband had intercourse for the first time, it was like, this will not fit!! I did not have pain but you really have to use lots of lubricants. This was at the advice of my urologist. It really did help.

Jill

Closed Thread