It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

hopeless42 HB User
Exclamation Vaginal Infections- Please Help

Hi Everyone. I am writing on this message board as a last resort. For the past 4 years, I have been suffering from frequent vaginal yeast and bacterial infections. I have been to the gynecologist multiple times. The first time the symptoms started (Itching and Abnormal Discharge), I went to the gyno. She did a pap smear, regular exam, and cultures of the discharge. All results were normal and she said I had allergies. The allergies could be from soap, detergent, etc. Taking benadryl helped with the itching, but the abnormal discharge never went away. It varies from thick pale yellow to thick white and sometimes it is thin clear/white. Most of the time when I go to the doctor I get diagnosed with a yeast and bacterial infection, other times just yeast. I have been tested for all STD's, the discharge has been cultured, I have gotten yearly pap smears, and still everything comes back normal. The itching and discharge never really improves and the severity varies on a day to day basis. One good thing though is that there is no unusual odor. I do have minor pain during sex but it usually only lasts the first 2 minutes or so, so I do not know if that is related to the vaginal problems. There is never a large amount of discharge, but always enough to notice that something is not right. I started taking acidophilus capsules a little over two months ago. The symptoms seem to have improved, however I still have some itching and discharge. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like this is taking over my life. I have no one to talk to about this as it is an embarrassing problem. My doctor doesn't seem to care that I am getting these infections all the time. And it is effecting my relationship with my boyfriend. I have done a lot of research online, but a lot of products seem like scams. I have also read about a hydrogen peroxide treatment but I am too scared to try it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and it would be nice to hear from others with the same problem. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Vaginal Infections- Please Help

I can't believe your doc won't do anything for you. I would change doctors. There are several products on the market you can try, they are OTC. Go to your drug store and ask the pharmacist which one is best. If that doesn't work, find a new doctor. They can give you a prescription for a infection whether it be yeast or bacterial, I had one and the doc gave me a prescription without even looking, I took one pill and it was gone.

Sunny

Old 06-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

jana83 HB User

There is a sticky topic posted by a BV (ex?)sufferer on this forum, describing how the hydrogen peroxide works. From what I have read, it could also help to dip a tampon into probiotic yoghurt and insert it into the vagina for a few hours OR dilute a probiotic yoghurt with warm water and use that as a douche. I have tried both - actually, I filled a large syringe (without the needle) with the yoghurt solution and injected it, then lay down for half an hour with a cushion beneath my butt. It worked for me.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

Zelda 44 HB User

I would first and foremost consider another doctor.Second opinions are a good thing.

In addition it is possible that you may have a fibroid that is pushing on your other organs such as bladder,intestines and that is creating discomfort and pain during sex.It can also create infections.

Good Luck

Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

Is there some product that might be triggering this in you, such as bubble bath, the soap you wash with, etc?
I agree with getting another opinion from a different doctor. Be sure to get copies of your test results to bring them, and give them your full history of symptoms.

Other thoughts: trying using (NON-spermicidal) condoms for awhile, to see if this is triggered by exposure to your boyfriend's semen (which can affect vaginal pH) or abstain from sex entirely for awhile. If you stop being exposed to his semen and it gets better, well at least you know the cause, and you can use condoms to avoid it. (Unless you want to get pregnant, then I'm not sure the best route to take.)

If your birth control method involves spermicide (like spermicidal condoms or a diaphragm), that would probably be the cause. Spermicides trigger vaginal infections.

If you use a hormonal method of birth control (pill, novaring, etc.) ask the doctor whether trying a different type might make possibly resolve your problem, or if the hormones might be making it worse.

Other things to try: wearing only 100% cotton undies and none at night while you sleep, take only showers (no baths, hot-tubs, etc.), don't wash your genitals with any kind of soap, avoid shaving down there (so you don't transfer bacteria there from the razor), stop using tampons for a few months (pads only), buying all natural T.P. that doesn't contain dyes or fragrances... maybe trying some of these things will make a difference.

Also, if you haven't been tested for diabetes, that's a good idea if you have had multiple yeast infections.

Good luck!

Last edited by plasva; 06-28-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Closed Thread