It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

Wheresrunt HB User
Uterine prolapse

Hello All
I am 36 and was recently diagnosed with a third degree uterine prolapse. My doctor has me going to physical therapy. So far it is not working. I've been married for almost 17 years and have no desire to have more children.(my youngest is 13)My periods last about nine days and i'm quite tired of dealing with them. I am considering just having a hysterectomy. Uterus only and then I don't have to deal with any of it. My doctor says i'm too young and she wants me to continue with therapy. I was looking for feedback from anyone who has had a prolapse and or a hysterectomy. I'm just not happy with the overall situation or paying for a treatment that just isn't working.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Uterine prolapse

Ask your doctor at what point will she be satisfied that the therapy is not working and what other non invasive procedures does she have to offer. If she is unable to give you a satisfactory answer, than tell her that you respect her opinion, however, since you are the patient and you are the one who is suffering the symptoms which is causing a major life style change for you, than you would like her to consider the situation that you are in and to please respect your feelings and grant your request for a hysterectomy. If she still refuses than seek out other opinions. Who knows maybe you will come across a doctor who is able to give you some options you can think about or a doctor who will take your feeling into consideration and perform the surgery.

Last edited by shisslak; 07-13-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Uterine prolapse

I have lived with a prolapse for many years, decades! Recently I had a new symptom to add to the list, and went to the doctor expecting I would have a hysterectomy. She said we just don't do as many hysterectomies as in earlier years, because it has been proved that the uterus being gone does not relieve symptoms but adds new ones. I had a rectocele repair, and am now OK again, and still have my uterus at age 70!

I was in a way lucky that I just decided to live with my various complaints years ago - because having the uterus removed at an early age leads down the road to cystocele, bladder prolapse, rectocele (rectal bulge into the vagina) and more.

I also had heavy periods, but at age 48 they stopped altogether, and there was one less symptom to deal with.

I keep lower back pain at bay with a series of floor exercises I do lying down, every morning , taking about 20 minutes, and the slight urinary incontinence is dealt with by kegel exercises and a daily panty liner.

It is not as if taking the uterus out miraculously heals all your problems.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 07-14-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Closed Thread