It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
(female)

aimaom HB User
Question sudden irregular and long periods

my periods have always been irregular on and off but always lasted 5 or 6 days. for about the last 3 periods though i have been having them about every other month and they have been very long (and mostly slow). i am going to the gynocologist but am wondering beforehand what could cause this? i am definately not pregnant. i haven't had a cervical smear for 7 years so i hope it is not serious.

thanks for your suggestions.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
(female)

chongo HB User
Re: sudden irregular and long periods

it could be an overactive thyroid gland. (in your throat). This controls your periods by releasing the hormones required to start periods. Dont hold me to this though, i would have suggested pregnancy but you stated that you definetly wasn't. Other than this i'd definetly get a smear test booked as this can be a sign of cervical cancer.

Im sure you'll be fine but i hope everything goes well for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

aimaom HB User

ok, now i am worried...!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
(female)

chongo HB User

Oh no i didnt mean to worry you. Other signs of Cervical cancer is pain, discomfort during sex, bleeding after sex. Dont worry. It is more likely to be the underactive thyroid gland.

Sorry =[.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
(female)

aimaom HB User

it's ok! it's my fault for not going to the doctor earlier for a check up!
i don't really think i have cancer as the blood loss has to major, whereas mine is the same but over a longer time. anyway, will go and sort it out!
thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
(female)

Inquizative HB User

You don't say how old you are? I was the same way, and so is my daughter with irregular periods. We are both skinny and very active. These both contribute to irregular periods, via our doctors opinions. My daughter is still a virgin. When I began birth control, my periods were regulated to every month like clock work, until I developed these weird red dots in the formation of a circle under one of my breasts and was told by my Dr. to get off the pill. My periods remained regular. But now they have ended !! Hooray !!! LOL Both my daughter and I have noted that when we are in sports we don't have periods, or at least only a few. I remember for 9 months of cheerleading in HS, I didn't have a period that entire time, and I was a virgin, so no worry. When the season ended, I had a period. Do you find this true for you ?
A lot of my lady friends have or had irregular periods. I think it's pretty normal.
At the end of my final periods, I had gone without one for 6-8 months in a row, then I had a doozy ! It lasted for over 14 days and was fairly heavy the entire time !
That did scare me. Dr. said I was just fine. But I guess, it was just the "last" hooray of the period saga. I did find out that I was producing too much estrogen, womanopause related, and had fibroids, which I was told feeds on too much estrogen. Progesterone makes me pass out on the job.......but I can take it at home. I fly for a living.
Unless you are having other symptoms, just enjoy NOT having periods. It was wonderful being young and and in top shape !!!! So I hope that's your excuse too.
And don't freak out by what anyone on here says to you. They are only "guessing",
listen to your own body and make a rational decision on whether or not you NEED to get a Doctor involved. They are the only ones who can eliminate the possibilities.
If you don't get a resolve, keep pushing forward til you GET an answer. Mayo always is the final say........one of the best in our nation, and the one we contact in the air !!! K?

Closed Thread