It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
(female)

MamaQ HB User
Heavy bleeding - big clots - should I worry?

I have always had heavy periods. Heavier the first few days, lots of cramping, some small clots then tapering off toward days 5-6 of period. But the last few months I have had severe clotting and bleeding! My period is still on time, lasts the usual 5-6 days but the clots are huge! I won't give all the nasty details, but it makes me worried. This heavy first 2-3 days of bleeding requires using the super plus tampons plus an overnight pad, fear of leaving the home and passing a clot, because the tampon doesn't stop it. Wearing some firm support panties to keep pad in place so clot doesn't 'slip out'. Clots come out in uncontrollable gushes (sorry if TMI!). Cramps come in waves before clots pass. Of course I get anemic during this time. Very tired even get a little light headed and short of breath. Even need to go to bathroom in middle of night to allow clot to pass. I have decided to stop wearing the tampons because they are of no use. They don't stop the clots. The blood is very bright red, and not the typical mucousy menstration type blood. I also get a strange pressure type soreness in my vagina during my first few days of bleeding.

So my question is...what does this mean? I checked with my doctor and he just prescribed birth control pills and didn't want to check into hormone levels or not concerned about cysts (my mom has big history of cysts plus hysterectomy due to them). I am really concerned. I can't stand it but I'm not taking birth control when my tubes are tied. I wish I knew what causes this so I could stop it...not put a 'band-aid' on it (birth control pills). And who's to say this is normal anyway? I just don't think so! It can't be!

I have also been getting more intense sharp pains during ovulation these past few months too. Could that be related? I'm just venting here. Not sure who to talk to, since my doctor is no help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

silvercity09 HB Usersilvercity09 HB User
Re: Heavy bleeding - big clots - should I worry?

Ask your doctor to send you for a vaginal ultrasound...it will show if you have any fibroids...I wouldn't worry too much about it but I would definitely look into it.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

this can be a symptom of endometriosis,

my mom had similar symptoms before they diagnosed her.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

newsomeday HB User

I agree,this could be a symptom of endo. I too have large clots, have always had them, and yes, they can be scary. Some say it is normal, I do not thinkn they are, I would have this checked out. You coul be rupturing cycst, have endo, or just having heavy bleeds due to hormone changes. Let us know either way.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

mamaprince HB User

Ive had similar problems first I tried the birth control, then I had an ablation nothing works I am sick of dealing with the crippling pain and heavy bleeding. I am done having kids I just want them to take out my uterus is that crazy?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

I too have very heavy periods, and they last for eight days. I have had a vaginal ultrasound and i do have fibroids. I also pass a lot of clots, i feel them coming and they are sometimes the size of a golf ball. I, like you always have to be carefule if i stain my pants, i never wear tampons (it's just a choice i've made) i always wear about four maxi mama pads at a time, two in the front and two in the back. It is quite annoying but i have learned to live with it, this is just how it is with me. A couple of years ago i was out with my cousin, in a store and we had just gone out it's not like i was running around all day, i said tro my cousin oh! i feel like i'm bleeding, she said Oh my God! look down, the floor in the store was filled with blood, just to tell you how bad it gets. Because of all the bleeding i am anaemic, all the red blood counts are low. The doctors do advise that i remove my uterus but i've decided not to. For me, it'sjust a way of life
for yourself you can change it if you want to. Go see another doctor request a vaginal ultrasound and get some answers. There are procedures that can help your situation if you would like to do them. My cousin did have the ablation done and it was very successful for her, she swears to this day that it changed her life. Good luck

Closed Thread