It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

lewje95a HB User
Pouch of Douglas?

I had an ultrasound scan and the sonographer told me that my pouch of douglas was full of blood. This is all she said. Is this normal or abnormal?

I know the pouch of douglas is the cul de sac area outside of the cervix in the pelvic area. Is it normal to have a lot of blood accumulate here?

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

McRegnal87 HB User
Re: Pouch of Douglas?

No, this is not normal. Are you in pain? what led you to have an ultrasound scan in the first place? blood collecting in the Pouch of Douglas can be a sign of ruptured follicular cyst or ectopic pregnancy or probably other conditions too which I don't know about. I think you need to see a gynaecologist urgently. Are you seeing one soon? let us know and keep us updated on what happens- hope you're okay- sorry if this frightens you but you really need to get this sorted out asap
Mc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
(female)

lewje95a HB User

I have always suffered with really painful periods which are irregular. They are getting worse and worse to the point where I faint and am sick with the pain. No pain medication seems to work and I have recently taken some time off work and feel like this is interfering with my day to day life.

My mum had endemetriosis, fibroids, two ovarian cysts and polyps, further to which she has just had to have a hysterectomy to remove it all.

I felt it was time to go and see my GP to get checked out in case I was also suffering with similar problems to my mum.

After seeing my GP, she recommended that I have a blood test and an ultrasound to try and find out what the problems were.

I had my blood test three weeks ago and phoned up for the results. I was told by the receptionist that all of the blood tests (thyroid, blood glucose and anaemia) were normal. I was thrilled, however I recieved a telephone call from the surgery last week to tell me that they were not normal and the doctor had requested that I have a repeat blood test because there was a hormone imbalance.

Last week I had another blood test taken and I am still awaiting the results of this re-test.

However the appointment date for my ultrasound was on Friday and I attended. I sat on the couch and the sonographer placed the hand held device on my body. She had a student with her so was explaining out loud what she could see. She was showing her all of the major parts of the uterus and ovaries. She said that she could see one follicle on one side and three follicles on the other. Then she pointed out my Pouch of Douglas and said that it was full of blood. I had never heard of this part of the body before but have researched it since. Once she had finished, she said that everything looked fine and that the report would be sent to my GP in a weeks time.

I was concerned about this blood as there is no information on the internet about it in the pouch of douglas.

I know it definately cannot be an eptopic pregnancy as I have been single for 2 years and have had no sexual encounters.

I have an appointment with my GP a week Wednesday to go through the report, and I will phone up to get my blood test results tomorrow.

I am really worried about it and am hoping it is nothing too serious.

Thankyou for your reply and I will keep you posted how things go.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

darkwater HB User

This sounds suspiciously like endometriosis to me. Especially since you have been having painful periods. I was diagnosed with endo when I was 24 after having a laparoscopy and one of the areas outside the uterus they found bloody deposits of endometrial tissue was the cul-de-sac. If only I had known that this stuff messes with your uterus and ovaries to the extent that you could have problems with infertility, I would have taken it more seriously. It is not life-threatening in any way, but can threaten your plans for a family later, besides the pain. Please take care of yourself and follow-up on your diagnosis.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

A couple of years ago i was told i had "fluids" in the pouch of douglas but it stated that this could be normal depending on the time of the month. I didn't have painful periods, no endometriosis, but did have one fibroid growing which wasn't a surprise as i have excess estrogen and fibroids love that type of environment. I also found out later that i really did have a thyroid problem after all, after being told for 9 years that i didn't and that my thyroid results were normal. I was also told my iron stores were normal, but they were bottom of the normal range and later i slipped into anemia and i never knew it.

Be VERY careful with lab tests and being told all is "normal". ALWAYS get copies of ALL lab reports so you can take them for a second opinion with a new doctor or on the boards here. With thyroid testing they should do TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and Thyroid Antibodies.

I ended up getting help from a good thyroid doctor in the end and before i found him i also found a good naturopath. Both are helping me with my hormones and the naturopath has me on a great herbal mix which has helped make my monthly cycles normal and they have a herb in there to help balance my estrogen and thereby shrink the firbroid. With all the problems i've had, gyno's have only ever pushed me to go on birth control or look at other very invasive treatments and i'm sure hysterectomy wouldn't have been far off. I'm glad i found this healthboard a few years ago and got a few tips which led me to finding the good doctors i have, even though it was 9 years later!!

It's good you are researching all of this now. It's good to be informed about things as unfortunately not all doctors know much about their own profession. You need to look after yourself as it's the only body you get. Cant trade it in for a new one. Take care

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

lewje95a HB User

I telephoned the surgery for my blood test results and again I was told that they were normal. But now I must wait to see the doctor on wednesday for the results of the ultrasound.

I am slightly concerned, but I don't want the doctor to say that the ultrasound was normal and the blood tests were normal and for my periods to still be excrutiating. My mum sufferered for long enough and I'm not going to suffer at all. Surely they shouldn't be that bad and be normal?

Its interesting to hear that it depends on the time of the month, whether you have blood in the Pouch of Douglas. It has almost been two months since my last period, so could mean that there is just a lot of blood inside.

The sonographer did ask whether I was regular and I told her no, but she said she couldn't see any reason why I wouldn't be regular. I am all over the place when it comes to my periods.

I will definately follow it through further if everything comes out normal.

Thanks for the advice and I will keep you posted.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User

I don't think blood in the pouch of Douglas is normal.

Depending on where you are in your cycle, you can have clear fluid there, but not blood. The fluid is what comes out of the follicle when it ovulates (besides the ovum). And while the egg travels into and through the tube, the fluid gets into the pouch of Douglas, from where it is reabsorbed by your body within several days/week.

"It has almost been two months since my last period, so could mean that there is just a lot of blood inside."

It could mean that you might have a lot of blood inside your uterus not in the Douglas. I'm not sure about endometriosis, but blood in the Douglas could be of a hemorrhagic or ruptured ovarian cyst (in case of ruptured, I think it should've had blood inside, in the 1st place).

Hope you find answers soon!

Last edited by peace4health; 08-20-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

peace4health - thanks for that clarification . I simply "assumed" that fluid and blood were same in regards to collecting in that area.

lewje95a - having messed up cycles like that is NOT normal and definitely indicates that something is going wrong with your hormones. You should obtain a copy of ALL your results. You can get help interpreting the results by posting on the relevant sections of the Healthboards. I was constantly told that all my tests were normal for a whole 9 years. Only when i found a decent doctor did i find out what was going on and that i definitely hadn't been 'normal' all those years.

Hope you are able to get help with this matter

Closed Thread