It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Question Spotting before period??? Not normal for me

I will be {{gack}}, 42 years old in November. I have never in my whole life had any trouble with my periods. Never.

I was on an anti-depressent, Effexor XR, for about 3 years. I decided to come off of it, due to the horrific things I read about it. Withdrawals were very bad. I was tapered off slowly then placed on another anti-depressent, Wellbutrin, at the same time.

The medication switch was done at the end of July. After my period that month.

My cycles run pretty much in sync. I got my period on July 20th, then I should have gotten my period on August 15th(It usually starts 5 days from the first day I got my last period). I started spotting around the 13th of August, not alot, just enough for a small pantyliner, and had my typical "going to start my period cramps" .So I thought I had my period.Then it just stopped. Then nothing, nothing, nothing. Now it is the 20th and I am in a panic. My Psych Dr sent me for a blood test to make sure I wasn't pregnant. Negative. Funny, I then get my period that evening.And it was a normal period like always.

Now here were are this month. Got it on August 20th last month, so I SHOULD get it on the 15th of this month. I started spotting yet AGAIN Thursday. Just enough for a little pantyliner, brown in color. It is real small. Sometimes I only notice it when I wipe, and then it looks bright red.
Again, it is that "going to get my period" cramps. Today(Saturday) it has stopped. I am due to get my period in a few days.

UGGHHHH.

Okay, I got my last pap in December of 2006. Yea, yea, I know. Should go every year. Looked up what this could be. Well I have ruled out cervical cancer(I am scared of cancer, but I am also scared of Dr's). And it says that Cervical Cancer takes a minimum of 8-10 years to grow. All my paps every year have been normal. I even had an internal U/S done in Dec of 2006, for undiagnosed stomach pains. (It was IBS, I am on meds for that and not a symptom of it since).

It seems coincidental that my cycle problems started as I came off one med, and started the other.

Wellbutrin(Buproprion is what I take, the generic) does list "menstrual irregularities" as a side effect. But it is not listed in the "common" side effects. Only in the "less common".

I have also had some huge stress going on, but I have had BIGGER stress then this a few years ago and never effected my cycle.

So, as I understand it, spotting is "never" normal? It is not breakthrough bleeding, just "spotting".

And again, I did get my period, lasted the same 5 days as always, same flow, same everything. It is just the spotting prior that has me concerned, and it not coming on time like it used to.

What else could be the cause of this, if not the meds or stress?

I am calling Monday to get in for an annual. But I am on anxiety meds, just for this reason. I have a huge, huge, huge fear of Dr's and tests.

So, maybe some of you can calm my fears and tell me this is nothing
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Re: Spotting before period??? Not normal for me

My experience with spotting has been due to excessive endometrial thickening (hyperplasia is the medical term), which can be caused by hormonal imbalance, most probably estrogen dominance.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User

How do they test you for a hormonal imbalance? Blood test? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User

Saliva test for hormones is better. And it's not only whether your hormones are within the lab range, their ratio is more important in diagnosing Estrogen Dominance.

The thickening of the endometrium can be easily seen in an ultrasound exam.

Hope you find out soon what's up with you!

Closed Thread