It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

seen444 HB User
Glitter on Underwear-Help I can't Sleep

Here is my story; The doctor sends me for MRI because of my back pain. I do the MRI test and was wearing this underwear with a glittering design on it. Doc calls me after a few days to say that they found a fibroid uterus -around the same are were the design is- The report states the the mass measures at least 20 cm in the greatest dimension.
I have no symptoms and I am very healthy. I am freaking out but calm myself down by thinking it is a misdiagnose and that this image is just because of the design on the underwear. Could that be possible? Can they misdiagnose these things with MRI? My appointment with Gy won't be due till 2 weeks from today. Any experience, thoughts?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Glitter on Underwear-Help I can't Sleep

Seen

Well I guess the underwear could cause some artifact on the film to look like some type of fibroid, however, I really do not think that is the case. Radiologist typically can tell when a finding may be artifact, so I suggest to be on the safe side, when you visit the gyn request that they perform a pelvic ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound. This way you will have a definate answer if this fibroid is really there or if your underwear gave the radiologist a false impression. You should also request a copy of the MRI Report, so that you can read what the radiologist wrote.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Yes, I believe the glitter could cause a problem. The glitter is a metalic thread that could throw off the machine. Next time, better wear the granny panties..ha ha

Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
(female)

seen444 HB User

I am scheduled for a Gy visit on the first day of October. Maybe the doctor will be able to confirm either posatively or -vely. I might need to re do the MRI. I don't that at all!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Let me know how it goes, Ok?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I don't think the underwear have anything to do with it or the person doing the procedure would have said something?

For pelvic issues, it's always best to get an internal and external ultrasound done.

If it is a fibroid, i would strongly advise your doctor to do a full hormone check up. Fibroids love growing in an excess estrogen environment. Excess estrogen or estrogen which is not balanced with your progesterone is not healthy.

If you are on birth control, i'd also be speaking to your doctor about what type of BC pill you are on. If it's a high estrogen or total estrogen pill then in view of having a fibroid they ought to be putting you on something else or discontinuing birth control pills.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I agree that the person who did your MRI would have picked up on this while viewing the films and made mention.

I do not agree that fibroids are always caused by excess estrogen. I have a fibroid which they have been watching (by ultrasound, both internal and external) for over three years- its growing slowly. I am not on B/C and my estrogen and progestrone levels are both normal....for some people, fibroids just happen. They are usually genetic, if your mother had them, you are more likely to develope them too. For five generations in my family, all the women have had hysterectomies due to fibroids...Im probably next!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I'm just cautious, as my problem was constantly being told for years that my hormones and my thyroid were normal. It took 9 years to find out they were not. It all depends on the doctor and the type of test, time of day and time of cycle the test is done.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
(female)

seen444 HB User

writeleft,
I had my visit with the OB/Gyn and he confirmed that I have multiple fibroid. I had an ultrasound done 3 years and was written in my report that had it, but the GP never told me!! I obtained a copy of the report from the lab same day I had my Gyn test.
They Gyn just said it flat; I need a Hysterectomy He couldn't see any of my ovaries on the ultrasound image. He said its a complete mess inside. I have no symptoms so far other than bloating and some back pain. My period started to get irregular( I was told; it because of my age 45ys)
I guess all docs make decisions based on a woman age. I am still a woman and don't want to lose my uterus, ovaries and cervix under the knife.
I just need to make sure that there is no cancerous growth.

Closed Thread