It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Posts: 40
Sisterwayne HB UserSisterwayne HB User
Failed hysteroscopy

So I have an endometrial polyp that was discovered back in March. I have no symptoms at all. I am 62 years old and way post-menopausal. Endometrial biopsy in March was negative and all of my PAP smears have been fine for many years. For all we know, this polyp has been present for many years. They found it because of a test for a test for a test.

Anyway, today I had a hysteroscopy in my OB-GYN office and she couldn't get the polyp. The pain was too so excruciating for me that the doctor actually decided to stop the procedure. This is the 2nd time they tried to get this polyp. One by endometrial biopsy. The 2nd with this hysteroscopy.

So now they are telling me I need to go to ther surgical center to have it removed. They'll give me Versed and Fentanyl. Honsetly, at this point I am really reluctant to do this since these polyps are usually benign, especially since I have ansolutely no symptoms. This may be a case where the cure is worse than the cause.

Any thoughts?

 
Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Needham,MA
Posts: 861
shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Failed hysteroscopy

Sisterwayne,

A hysterscope in the OFFICE!!!! What kind of monsters practice in Wayne PA? I had my hysterscope done in the operating room under general sedation. The procedure took just about an hour because I also had a d&c done. My doctor went up with the scope, found my polyp within the unterine lining, took the scope out and went up with the polyp forcep and out came the polyp. I of course was having some pain, and my endometrial lining was found to be quite thick on ultasound, which is why my doctor did the hysterscope. How was your endometrial polyp discover? Typically, you can not see the polyps, they just assume there is one there when they see some strange pathology on an ultasound. I also can not believe they tried to get a polyp via an endometrial biopsy procedure. That procedure is just a blind shot in the dark, with a doctor simply inserting the cath tube into your uterine canel and sucking out some tissue.

If you were not having any symptoms, what is their reasoning to put you through all this agony? You are right, 90% of the polyps are benign, is there a chance that you may be in the 10% that has a cancerous polyp? If they think such thoughts, than I think they should have discussed there thoughts with you. My guess is that you are not in the 10%range. Are you fond of this doctor? Do you think he/she is really thinking about you as a patient and is really concerned for your wellbeing?
Maybe you should think of getting another opinion?

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Last edited by shisslak; 09-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Posts: 40
Sisterwayne HB UserSisterwayne HB User
Re: Failed hysteroscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisslak View Post
Sisterwayne,

A hysterscope in the OFFICE!!!! What kind of monsters practice in Wayne PA? I had my hysterscope done in the operating room under general sedation. The procedure took just about an hour because I also had a d&c done. My doctor went up with the scope, found my polyp within the unterine lining, took the scope out and went up with the polyp forcep and out came the polyp. I of course was having some pain, and my endometrial lining was found to be quite thick on ultasound, which is why my doctor did the hysterscope. How was your endometrial polyp discover? Typically, you can not see the polyps, they just assume there is one there when they see some strange pathology on an ultasound. I also can not believe they tried to get a polyp via an endometrial biopsy procedure. That procedure is just a blind shot in the dark, with a doctor simply inserting the cath tube into your uterine canel and sucking out some tissue.

If you were not having any symptoms, what is their reasoning to put you through all this agony? You are right, 90% of the polyps are benign, is there a chance that you may be in the 10% that has a cancerous polyp? If they think such thoughts, than I think they should have discussed there thoughts with you. My guess is that you are not in the 10%range. Are you fond of this doctor? Do you think he/she is really thinking about you as a patient and is really concerned for your wellbeing?
Maybe you should think of getting another opinion?

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Thanks for the support. The polyp was found with a transvaginal ultrasound. I have NO symptoms whatsoever and I am post-menopausal. So the lining of my uterus is actually quite thin.

This was actually my third opinion as to whether it should be removed or nor. The consensus thinking among all three doctors has been that even though the odds are high that this is not cancerous. And they are high that this polyp has been there for quite some time ..... there is risk the polyp could become cancerous. This is an abundance of caution because I have endometrial cancer in my family history (both sisters and 1 grandmother).

I've also done research on the procedure and have found that it is quite common to do this in the office with local anesthesia (which I got). However, there was no sedation.

I am still considering my options and leaning towards watchful waiting. My fear is that if this polyp goes bad, insurance will not cover any surgery because they will see this as a pre-existing condition.

Gotta love this insurance reform craziness.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Hysteroscopy?? CDB2426 Infertility 3 02-09-2007 04:33 AM
diagnostic hysteroscopy- give it to me straight adh621 Infertility 5 09-08-2006 08:06 AM
hysteroscopy? Queenslander Women's Health 10 10-28-2005 01:51 AM
Menopause and Hysteroscopy nornie Menopause 13 09-28-2005 11:55 AM
HSG & hysteroscopy serendipity1984 Infertility 2 10-30-2004 05:50 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Alesse
Diflucan
Flagyl
Ibuprofen
Motrin
  Naproxen
Provera
Tylenol
Vicodin Yasmin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



STLouisgal (52), Kszan (41), Titchou (35), twohands (23), Seraph (16), solofelix (15), janewhite1 (14), sjb (12), ladybud (12), Vanilla Kiss (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!