It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

kd40334 HB User
anyone had thermachoice? I really need some advice!

I see that many of you had novasure & it sounds as though the majority of people aren't happy with the outcome. I was wondering if anyone out there had the thermachoice ablation (balloon therapy)? If so, can you tell me your experiences. What were your symptoms before surgery? What was life like after surgery? Was it a success? Are you happy you did it? Would you do it over again or just get a hysterectomy instead?

I am in the process of seeing if I'm a candidate for this procedure. My periods aren't heavy but very irregular with a lot of cramping. I've been on nuva ring for a few years to try to manage it but needing to stop the nuvaring. Without nuvaring, I will bleed for a few days, stop, a few days later, start again & this will go on for over a week. Then anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks later, it all starts over again. most women will cramp for the first day or 2 but I cramp the whole entire time. I'm tired of this. So, I finally made this decision. I had to first rule out pregnancy. Then I had to have a biopsy of the uterus. Then I had to have an ultrasound. During the ultrasound a mass was found on my cervix & after 2 MRI appointments, found it to be a cyst. Dr wants to wait for 4 weeks to do another ultrasound & possible MRI to see if the cyst changed in any way. If it didn't, then she seems to think that it's ok to go forward with the ablation. I was all for the ablation until I found out about this cyst. Now I'm not so sure. Wondering if going for the hysterectomy is the better choice in the long run. I'm almost 40, am not having any more children, & I'm ready to fix this permamently, once & for all. I'm not wanting to do any experimental procedures just to end up having to have a hysterectomy in the end anyway. But, if the ablation works & this cyst does not cause any problems, that would be ideal.

I just wish I had a guarantee but there never is one. About 5 years ago a doctor believed I had a polyp in my uterus so I had a hysterscopy and a d&c just to find out there was NO POLYP. So, she tried all these different hormones on me & the side effects were awful & it wasn't working. She was making it worse! So, I feel as though I went thru all that for nothing. Needless to say I stopped going to that doctor but I have continued to have menstral problems. I trust my new doctor & feel comfortable with her. She really thinks this procedure will work for me but after what I've already been through, I have doubts! I am wanting to have a sound mind about this before I see her next month for my follow up.

Looking for any advice out there!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: anyone had thermachoice? I really need some advice!

hi. I didnt have thermachoice, but did have NovaSure. As you already know...

Just so that you know, all the reasons NOT to have NovaSure apply to any type of ablation. Youll never have another biopsy which is conclusive- the simple fact that you are prone to cysts and needing additional tests NOW would give me reason to go straight for the hysterectomy and skip the whole ablation thing. Youll solve alot more then one problem by doing so.

I do know one woman who had Thermachoice- and she wound up with a hyster the same year.

Seems that ablation is a short term solution for a long term problem, and inevitably, its not the best solution in many cases....if you are having any type of problems now, talk to your doctor about what happens if those problems return, post ablation. My doctor actually didnt give me "all" the info. The worst part was he knew uterine cancer ran in my family and didnt explain to me that its impossible to do a uterine biopsy once you have had ablation surgery. ANY KIND OF ABLATION SURGERY. I know this to be true now and am paying the price.

Just make sure that you have ALL the facts. See more then one GYN and double check what you are told. And, seriously consider Hyster now and skipping putting yourself thru this.

Best of luck to you.
N

Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

kd40334 HB User
Re: anyone had thermachoice? I really need some advice!

Hi Nik! Thank you so much for replying & giving me your opinion. I hope to hear from more people as I have a lot of thinking to do in the next 4 weeks!

Closed Thread