It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
(female)

TerraT HB User
Tubal Ligation...scared

Anyone had this done? Is it painful? Ive never been put to sleep before and Im more worried about that than the pain.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Tubal Ligation...scared

Terra, I had it done the same time as having NovaSure ablation. Got to be honest, Ive regretted the ablation ever since, but the Tubal was NOTHING!! And, Ive never regretted that!!

I had mine done laproscopically...thru the belly button. Is that how you are having it done? Its scary. All surgery is scary, but its a very short procedure- and its really not that terrible. When you wake up, youll be sore. Just sore- not in screaming agony! Youll also be sore for a few days and will be given instructions not to lift anything or carry anything more then a few pounds for a few weeks. (got me out of vaccumming the house, too!) You will be able to walk around and do normal things for the most part. Youll also be told no sex for up to 6 weeks....no warm baths, hot showers are fine, but soaking in the tub is not a good idea for at least 2-3 weeks. It can bring on bleeding issues...

Since you have never had sugery before, this is even scarier for you. when you arrive at the outpatient unit, you will have a nurse who will prep you- get you changed, start the IV , etc...your family can be with you right up until they wheel you into surgery. The anesthesiologist will probably come see you either in the short stay unit, or when you get outside the Operating Room...your doctor will also come see you and talk to you. When they wheel you down to the OR, thats probably the scariest part. If you are prone to panic attacks, you can ask them to give you a valium or something to "take the edge off" which is always a good idea. It will make you sleepy!! One in the OR, you wont remember anything at all. Youll wake up in recovery, where a nurse will take your vital signs- within the hour be back in the short stay unit, where you will probably be asleep (dont remember the trip back!) and when I woke up again, my husband was sitting next to my bed (watching TV). The nurse made me drink some apple juice and crackers- and I had to pee before I could leave, but I think I was out of there 2 hours after I got there. It wasnt long at all!!!!! The ride home , I slept again. Anesthesia makes you loopy...youll drift in and out of sleep for the first 12 hours after surgery. (which is great!) Youll go into your house, hit the couch or your bed- and within a few hours start feeling better.

There isnt allot of bleeding, however you wil have packing (gauze) in your belly button with tape over it for a few days until your follow up. Leave it alone and ignore it. It doesnt hurt. My doc removed it a few days later at my follow up and that was the first time I could start feeling human again. But, the pain is minimal...only when you bend over do you really notice it. If you have this done vaginally, not thru the belly button, the same thing applies, but youll be packed, as if you have a huge tampon in!! They'll tell you to remove it twice a day and thats that.

Honestly, this is one of the easier surgeries Ive survived thru- and you will too...let us know how youre doing.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

TerraT HB User

Yes I believe they will do it thru the belly. Thank you for the walk thru that does ease the tension a little. Ive been debating this for the past year and after a scare figured its probably worth it. The only things Ive had are a c-section and a colonoscopy. Never been completely knocked out. Thanks again for all the info.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Good Luck Terra. Its going to be allot like the Colonoscopy, without the prep! As far as it being outpatient and all that...the only diffrence is you will really be asleep- not in a twilight.

Its not soo horrible- youll survive this and wonder why you were even afraid a few hours later. Promise!! Let us know how you are...
Nikki

Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

dakina HB User

i had a tubal done about 16 months ago. to be honest the surgery was a piece of cake. u cant even see my scar because they cut around the inside of my belly button. but now a warning... because of my tubal i think i am now premenopausal. hot flashes all the time, period every 2 weeks, mood swings. be prepared mentally for the changes your body will have after.

Closed Thread