It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

JMYHNY HB User
Question Yeast Infection meds....question!

I was put on FLUCONAZOLE 150MG - ORAL yesterday. I received a total of 2 pills. Is the 2 pills normal or should you have more???
Also, does anyone know how long it should start to take affect? I took my first pill about 4pm yesterday (9-29-09).

Thank you!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Yeast Infection meds....question!

The acutal dose is only one pill; however for me - One never is enough. i wind up taking 2 pills, one a day for two days.
Takes about 24-48 hours to start feeling better....you can buy OTC itch cream to soothe and prevent rubing and use it too- but dont use the OTC treatment, just the itch cream. They also make a cleansing wipe which will help you with discomfort.

Never heard of needing to take more then two doses, but if things dont improve within 48 hours, you might want to call your doctor back. They might add another day, or ask to see you again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

JMYHNY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
The acutal dose is only one pill; however for me - One never is enough. i wind up taking 2 pills, one a day for two days.
Takes about 24-48 hours to start feeling better....you can buy OTC itch cream to soothe and prevent rubing and use it too- but dont use the OTC treatment, just the itch cream. They also make a cleansing wipe which will help you with discomfort.

Never heard of needing to take more then two doses, but if things dont improve within 48 hours, you might want to call your doctor back. They might add another day, or ask to see you again.
what would be the best kind of cream?
well, the pills I have to take said, "Take 1 tablet by mouth now then repeat second pill in 3 to 4 days"

Old 09-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Your doctor may be spreading out the doses...which is alright. I have taken them 24 hours apart, but still only taken 2 pills total....either way, if it doesnt start to clear up, call your doctor for either another prescription or for another checkup. YOu were checked when this was prescribed for you? Or, did they call it in without testing you?
The reason I ask is if it isnt yeast- then this wont work..it could be bacterial...the only way to know is from a culture, which can be instantly done in any doctors office.

The cream I refer to is Monistat anti-itch cream. NOT MONISTAT ANTIFUNGAL CREAM. In the area where you buy tampons, youll find all sorts of feminine itch products....wipes, creams, etc. Some are to TREAT yeast infections, you dont want that, since you are already taking it orally. Some are for the itching and burning that accompany yeast infections- those are fine to use. Do not douche- do not use anything you have to insert into you- just something to help you be more comfortable. If you go to the store, youll see what Im referring to...many companies make things that basically say for feminine itch- any of those are fine.

IN order to prevent this from happening again, dont have sex, for at least a week after the symptoms stop- or you will give it to your partner and keep giving it back and forth... you might want to either start eating Yogurt with Active Cultures (says this on the package) or taking a probiotic supplement or acidiphilus, (also a probiotic) these are things which encourage the good bacteria in your body....you can find the pills in any vitamin shoppe or health food store, you can buy the yogurt in any supermarket.

Dont worry- yeast happens to all of us at one time or another...tight jeans, wet bikinis, antibiotics and extreme heat and humidity can make yeast grow in that particular place and this happens...treating it is easy, but dealing with it can be really awful! You should be feeling better by tomorrow....if at least 36 hours have gone by and you havent taken the second pill yet (and the symtoms arent any better) take it...and see if that doesnt clear it up. I always need a second dose before Im better.

Hang in there.
Nikki

Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

JMYHNY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Your doctor may be spreading out the doses...which is alright. I have taken them 24 hours apart, but still only taken 2 pills total....either way, if it doesnt start to clear up, call your doctor for either another prescription or for another checkup. YOu were checked when this was prescribed for you? Or, did they call it in without testing you?
The reason I ask is if it isnt yeast- then this wont work..it could be bacterial...the only way to know is from a culture, which can be instantly done in any doctors office.

The cream I refer to is Monistat anti-itch cream. NOT MONISTAT ANTIFUNGAL CREAM. In the area where you buy tampons, youll find all sorts of feminine itch products....wipes, creams, etc. Some are to TREAT yeast infections, you dont want that, since you are already taking it orally. Some are for the itching and burning that accompany yeast infections- those are fine to use. Do not douche- do not use anything you have to insert into you- just something to help you be more comfortable. If you go to the store, youll see what Im referring to...many companies make things that basically say for feminine itch- any of those are fine.

IN order to prevent this from happening again, dont have sex, for at least a week after the symptoms stop- or you will give it to your partner and keep giving it back and forth... you might want to either start eating Yogurt with Active Cultures (says this on the package) or taking a probiotic supplement or acidiphilus, (also a probiotic) these are things which encourage the good bacteria in your body....you can find the pills in any vitamin shoppe or health food store, you can buy the yogurt in any supermarket.

Dont worry- yeast happens to all of us at one time or another...tight jeans, wet bikinis, antibiotics and extreme heat and humidity can make yeast grow in that particular place and this happens...treating it is easy, but dealing with it can be really awful! You should be feeling better by tomorrow....if at least 36 hours have gone by and you havent taken the second pill yet (and the symtoms arent any better) take it...and see if that doesnt clear it up. I always need a second dose before Im better.

Hang in there.
Nikki
Thank you!
I didn't go to the doctor for this, he just called the prescription in for me. If I have to go to the doctor for this, I surely am not going to him.....I will find me a female doctor for OBGYN (which I have never been to one before also).
I just hope all of this clears up soon......It is soooooo annoying.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

why would a doctor call in a yeast prescription if you have never been to that doctor and they dont know that you have yeast infection? That doesnt make sense. Have you ever been checked and determined to have a yeast infection before?
If you havent- you should NOT be taking Diflucan..

There is a real possiblity that this isnt yeast and it wont help...witout having had it cultured, there is no way to tell..

Dont wait to see a doctor if this isnt helping in 48 hours- bacterial infections, left untreated can leave you sterile and can cause other more serious problems! Yeast is one thing...but if it isnt yeast, you need to be treated accordingly.
Nikki

Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

I've been fighting yeast infection since March, my Dr told me I could take a pill once every 7 days. It didn't help, the more I took the worse it got. I tried eating yogurt 1-2 times a day. Not helping, so now I am trying Probotics. It's frustrating and I itch so bad a times that my skin is bleeding on my outer lips and around my anus. I'm going back to the Dr's in 10 days, we shall see if the Probotics helps.

Closed Thread