It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

pinkrobot HB User
vaginal discharge & irritation

For almost 2 years now, I've had a yellow discharge and on-and-off irritation. I've seen 3 different doctors now. I've been tested for yeast, BV, trich, and ALL std's, and all came back negative. In my most recent culture, all my vaginal flora came back perfectly fine and there was no yeast OR bacteria present. I've been treated for yeast, BV, and cervicitis. None of these treatments ever worked.

My current doctor is now convinced I have a ph imbalance, so she put me on boric acid--1 suppository a week for 3 months--despite the fact that I've tried boric acid before and it didn't relieve my symptoms. I've been doing this for 3 weeks now and have had no improvement at all.

If I don't have an infection, and I haven't responded to any treatment...what could this be???

Old 10-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
(female)

pinkpolkadots HB User
Re: vaginal discharge & irritation

I have had the same problem for the last two years also.

Fortunately, the irritation has disappeared thanks to taking fish oil capsules. I don't know whether it was a coincidence, but it's definitely worth a shot. Washing in sorbolene cream may also help.

I still have 3 doctors and a gyno stumped with my discharge though. Are you on birth control pills? I find that each pill makes my discharge very different.

I'm also using a product called Aci-Jel which restores your normal pH balance. Maybe worth a shot too?

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
(female)

pinkrobot HB User

Wow, except for the fish oil we're dealing with this almost identically!

I've noticed the change in my discharge with each phase of bc as well...I asked my doctor if I should stop taking the bc and see if that helps, and she told me it probably has nothing to do with it (doesn't make sense, if each pill makes my discharge a bit different)...I'm starting to wonder if she's actually going to be of any help, or if I should shop around for a new doc.

But, I've been using Aci-Jel as well! I've noticed it usually helps at least a little with the irritation, and overall it makes me feel a bit fresher...BUT, it does add to the discharge when it's leaking back out of me and that's just annoying. So I don't use a lot of it, just a tiny amount each day.

Thanks for the response, though! I'll go ahead and try fish oil, as I used it years ago for other reasons and it was helpful then, so it's worth a try for sure.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I can't give much help, but years ago when i used to get vaginal swabs done and sent away to pathology and got results back days later, they always came back 'normal'.

One day i had to visit a sexual health clinic as i was starting a new relationship and they tested everything, as they do, including yeast, BV and other more serious sexual STD's.

The difference with the sexual health clinic is that you wait about 5 minutes and they can tell you right away if it's BV or yeast.

So now when i get abnormal discharge i only go to the sexual health clinic as they for some reason have come back and said it's a slight case of BV or a full on case of BV and they give me the meds right away.

So how, when done through my GP or pathology, and waiting days is it always normal, yet through the sexual health clinic when it's done right away i was getting different results and better treatment??? I just dont understand this, unless the tests which get sent away somehow get ruined causing a false negative? With my GP or pathology they would take a swab, but at the sexual health clinic they'd smear it on a slide and take it right into the lab. Maybe that's the difference.

It could be your BC pills as they do affect your hormones. BV can also be brought on by change of hormones, especially prior to your period.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

pinkrobot HB User

Hmm, it's not really the time delay at gyno visits that's the problem...I've been treated for BV three times now, and yeast about 10 times, so if that was really the problem my symptoms would have at least somewhat improved at some point during any of those treatments... =/

And what's weird about the BC, is that the week prior to my period is when my symptoms are the least present. It's right *after* my period that the discharge is incredibly heavy and the irritation is really bad.

I'm starting to think it's desquamative inflammatory vaginitis...every single one of my symptoms matches, but my current doc has never heard of it so that doesn't do much good...

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hey, i just remembered something. When i had my pap test the nurse said it looked "angry". She also said that there are bacterial infections out there for which there are no meds available yet so they end up using meds from something else eg: BV and 'hope for the best'.

She also said that if you are sexually active, aside from you getting tested, your partner ought to have a smear taken of his urethral openning. I think it's called a wet gram stain test or just 'gram stain' test. It checks to see whether your partner has any bacterial nasties which are repeatedly passing onto you. Males wont always get physical symptoms and wouldn't even know anything was going on down there. Typical!! Us girls get it all.

So might be an idea to get your partner tested if you have one, just in case.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
(female)

pinkrobot HB User

My pap always comes back perfect. Honestly, the only indication there's ever anything wrong is that I have quite a few white blood cells on the cultures. Other than that, nothing. I *did* try a round of clindamycin recently that seemed to make the irritation die down, but it turns out I'm massively allergic and had to stop using it after 3 days.

Also, this has been going on for 2 years, so there have been several months in there where I was single and not even sexually active, while also being treated. With my boyfriend now, we've NEVER had sex without a condom...

Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
(female)

pinkpolkadots HB User

Just a question - is the irritation more *****ly or more itchy? I had both, and found the aci-jel the most effective - just put around the area. I also have dermatitis in my groin area to contend with also!

Unfortunatley, when you use aci-jel properly (inserted via one of those tubes) it leaks out like discharge does, so you fix one problem but the other problem worsens. How heavy is your discharge, if you don't mind me asking?

I have been off the pill for about two weeks, and I have noticed that my discharge isn't as heavy. Who knows what I am going to do for contraception in the future though as im guessing all hormone based contraception will have the same effect.

The gyno also said that the discharge could also be mucous on the cervix, which she could burn off if it got worse.

I'm the same as you -pap came back all clear, about 10 swabs that came back normal and internal ultrasound that came back normal....

Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
(female)

pinkrobot HB User

My irritation is more *****ly...in fact, it's hardly ever itchy.

Half the time, my discharge is somewhat light, but it's still yellow and it's definitely not normal. The other half of the time, it's really heavy and I find myself changing my pantyliner about 5 or 6 times a day. No matter what, I always have to wear pantyliners because of the amount of discharge.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
(female)

BVSufferer HB User
Lightbulb Re: vaginal discharge & irritation

Hi:
I'm new to the forum, and I sure wish I had known how common BV was when I was suffering from it. I too, had gone to gynos and been told everything was fine, but as a woman, you always know when something is a bit "off." I had battled with pH imbalances that attributed to my recurring condition, and even though it wasn't severe enough to be "detected" by my gyno, it still caused a bit of discomfort, not to mention embarrassment. I've since invested in an eBook titled: "The Ultimate Natural Guide to Bacterial Vaginosis Relief", and it has helped me tremendously in learning more about how various factors contribute to the recurrence of BV. I hope that helps.

Last edited by BVSufferer; 10-09-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BVsufferer -thanks for that tip.

pinkrobot - i'd 'guess' that having to change panty liners 5 or 6 times per day isn't normal. Some of us naturally have more discharge than others, but 5/6 liners sounds a bit too much. I've gone through my life being somewhat more 'wetter' down there than i'd say some women (eg; women who say they can get away without wearing underwear) and i like to wear a panty liner 'just in case'. I do notice more discharge as i get closer to my period. After my period i'm always more normal down there.

When i went for a pap smear once, the doctor said they could do a procedure on my cervix which would help 'dry' things more so, but then he said after menopause women dry up naturally down there due to insufficient estrogen levels. so i decided to leave things as they are as i dont want to end up as dry as the desert after menopause

Apparently the discharge is sloughed off dead skin cells, maybe some of us slough of more than others, but if the discharge is uncomfortable, stings, itches or smells plain awful then i'd agree, something is going on which isn't being detected.

Do you have a sexual health clinic in your city? As i mentioned before, i find them so much more thorough than ordinary doctors and pathology places. Never a problem with BV diagnosis since going to them. Always got a negative diagnosis when done by my doctor or pathology nurse, as i mentioned in my previous post.

Closed Thread