It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

RandomNumbers1 HB User
Unhappy Facial Hair??!

Hey there guys. I was just hoping you could maybe give me an idea if this is normal or what.

I've noticed recently... that I've been getting a few stray dark hairs under my chin, every month or so. I'm only 18, so I was really embarassed about it and I've just been plucking them out. There are only about 2 or 3 of them tops at any given time, but I can see them and thats more than enough.
I tend to find them shortly after or shortly before my period.. so do you think its maybe a hormonal thing?

I was just wondering if I should be worried because my mum had no idea what would cause that. She get a few stray hairs herself but she says thats only because she is in menopause. I actually get a few hairs around my breasts aswell, which is quite embarassing, they are very fine, but dark on my light skin tone. Is this unusual aswell?

Do you think I should go see my doctor about it?

P.s... I was thinking about going on the pill because I still have pretty bad spots, do you think that would sort out the extra hair, if it is a hormonal problem?

thanks

Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Facial Hair??!

I've had this problem my whole life, so has my mom and my sister. I believe it's hormonal. My mom's doctor prescribed her something called vaniqua which is supposed to take care of that. I'll have to ask her whether she thinks it's working because I'd like to get in on that, too. It's annoying but I've always had to deal with this. And I've found as I've gotten older, there are more than just 3 or 4 like it used to be. It's more like 8 or 9, so that's really annoying. Sigh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
(female)

RandomNumbers1 HB User

Hey thanks for your reply
the hair totally sucks doesn't it?
I was just hoping to get something incase further down the line I have a beard or something lol.
I think I'll deff ask my doctor about it.

Hopefully it can be sorted :/

Old 10-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Random: I heard a long time ago that this was caused by excess testosterone. Women and men have all the same hormones it's just that some are more prominent in the opposite sex. I have more hairs on my chin these days too. I'm hitting menopause. I just pluck them out. The breast area is a different issue. I wouldn't pluck them out there. I'd be afraid I'd end up with an infection and that wouldn't be nice in that sensitive area. You could always see an endocrinologist that could do a hormone study on you to see if you're more dominant in the testosterone area. Be careful. Don't shave the areas either. Shaving will make them grow in heavier.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It is perfectly OK to pluck the hairs on your nipple. But be careful...it can sting quite a bit! I've done it for years....and my docs have said it was fine/normal - just be careful.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

It could be hormonal and sometimes it's associated with PCOS. Having a full hormone test and internal/external ultrasound of the pelvic area can help to determine this too.

As there aren't too many hairs, why not simply get them removed via electrolysis. It's a very effective procedure and permanent.

There is nothing wrong with tweezing the hairs out, but often the hair shaft can become thicker or more course and you can also have multiple hairs growing out of the one shaft.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
(female)

patty kay HB User

Honey, it's normal. It's the hormones, especially that testosterone. Everybody has testosterone, even womene, we're just supposed to have less, but sometimes we have more than we're supposed to.I am only twenty and I get that, too. Luckily for me, i have red hair and very light facial hair, but I heard of this thing called threading, and I googled it. I do that sometimes, or I just use nair. Threading is preatty cool because it doesn't really hurt at all and it just uses thread and a mirror! It's kind of hard to explain, but I just googled threading hair removal, I heard thats how ancient egyptian women got rid of unsightly facial hairs! hope this helps :]
Patty Kay

Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
(female)

patty kay HB User

About going on the pill, I recommend an anti-testosterone such as yasmin, or the generic ocella or yaz, thats what I take, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and it really helps with a lot of my symptoms i.e. facial hair, weight gain, depression, irregular periods, and acne, stuff like that. I've been on yasmin since I was fourteen and for one month I had tried a different birth control, I gained about twenty pounds, acne was horrible, and I didn't even get a period that month, depressed like never before and I'm thankful my doctor put me on yasmin, it's the best for me. Just make sure you talk to your doctor about it before considering it. again, hope I helped!
Patty Kay

Old 10-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
(female)

RandomNumbers1 HB User

Hello.
Yeah I went to go see my doctor, thats what she wants to test me for PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. I'm going back next week to get my blood taken, and then she's going to decide what she should give me lol.

xx

Old 10-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
(female)

RandomNumbers1 HB User

My sister had the same sort of thing, so she was saying to me, but her irregular hair growth was like on the top of her back mainly.
She said when she was put on the pill that evened everything out.... the hair.. all her acne... cuz she had it really bad.

She didnt say she would put on Yasmin though... she said she was put on something else....I'm not sure what it was... started with a T, I think lol.

xx

Closed Thread