It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

xixilia HB User
the mysterious yeast infection... that wasn't

Hi all, I'm just writing to vent and see if there's anyone out there who's going through what I am now!

I get chronic UTIs, which I normally dose with cephaloxin and the antibiotic, of course, gives me a yeast infection every time. But starting nine months to 1 year ago, I developed these strange symptoms - heavier discharge, severe itching on the front wall of my vagina (always the front wall) which leads to urinary frequency and urgency. It started off very mild, so although my initial attack with Canesten didn't seem do do any good, I more or less forgot about it and got on with my life. Recently, though, it started making its presence felt in a very unpleasant way, and then my outer woman parts started itching a little too.

So I thought, classic yeast infection, right? My GP and gynae thought so too. I've shoved Neo-Penotran, Canesten, Albothyl, Gyno-Trosyd and one other medication into myself. I've swallowed Diflucan and Itracon. Not much difference, if any.

So I requested a pap smear, I'm all clean except for "acute inflammation", or so it says on the paper - how helpful. I did a further yeast culture, and surprise! The results come back negative.

By this point I'm half-panicking because my GP has given up on me and told me to see a urologist, and both he and the gynae are tossing about the dreaded name of interstitial cystitis. The ultrasounds say my bladder wall is really thin, probably from my history of chronic UTIs, and anyway the front of my vagina is more or less the back of my bladder, so how can I really tell where exactly the feeling is coming from? The urologist, however, had the decency to add that IC seems unlikely given that my complaint is severe itching (to the point of almost-pain), not outright agony, but wants a cystoscopy. The procedure will set me back $1500, which needless to say is a tidy sum.

I don't know what to do - whether to go ahead with the cystoscopy or get another opinion from a second gynae, and possibly another culture done. I might add that I recently got another UTI from shoving all those pessaries in me - go figure - and now that I'm on antibiotics again the feeling is getting worse, which sort of supports my Super Sneaky Ninja Yeast Infection theory.

All I can say is... heeeeeeeeeellllllllppppp!!!

Hugs to any in the same boat as me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

xixilia HB User
Re: the mysterious yeast infection... that wasn't

Oh, and at one point I was trying natural yeast infection cures.

Yogurt applied internally only makes it itch/burn MORE. Is that normal?

Washing the outside with vinegar diluted in water feels quite pointless.

Garlic oil capsules lower my blood pressure and make me dizzy when consumed orally.

I have a bottle of probiotic pills containing much the same bacteria as the yogurt did, but after the fiesta of itching and burning the yogurt douche provided I stopped consuming them, reasoning that maybe my body just plain didn't like the bacteria at all. Mistake?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

This doesnt sound at all like a yeast infection, sorry. If it was, it would have reacted (positively) to all the things you have tried.
It does sound like you should consider the cytoscopy. I cant imagine why it would cost you so much money? No insurance? Not covered by your insurance? Talk to your doctor....normally, if its that expensive, they will work out something with you. I had one done not long ago, and with my insuarance, the co-pay was 25$. I realize Im fortunate to have insurance, but I also know the importance of having tests done....
This isnt something you want to leave alone....and it truly doesnt sound fungal...have you had everything else ruled out? Bacteriosis? All the more common female problems??
wishing you well.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Get the cystoscopy done.

I drove myself crazy for two years thinking I had chronic yeast infections and/or bacterial vaginosis...I did not.

However, the symptoms of interstitial cystitis can mimic the above very closely. I pray for your sake you do not have this - I do.

Get yourself checked out by a reputable urologist. FYI - most don't have a great bedside manner - this is only what I have found.

If you don't have insurance, you can always try to apply for medical assistance.

Best of luck to you - and don't drink cranberry juice. It will only exacerbate the condition.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

I've been fighting the itching on my outer labia and my around my skin including my anus, since March, and it is driving me nuts. Back to the Dr tomorrow, like you I've tried everything, Probotics, yogurt, and everytime I take diflucan it comes back worse then ever. I'm at my wits end.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
(female)

xixilia HB User

MSNik - No, the doctor/gynae did not suggest it might be any of the other female problems. As a last ditch attempt I will ask if I can be put on a course of Flagyl, because metronidazole is a main ingredient of Neo-Penotran, which was the only thing that made a significant difference to my condition. If that doesn't work out, I'm afraid it's the cystoscopy as you suggested.

LauraLu - Thank you for your wishes, and I'm sending warm healing thoughts to you!

Alexa - That sounds horrible. I hope the Dr is of some help tomorrow when you see him, it's ridiculous that nothing he prescribed has helped!

In other news, I have absolutely had it with natural cures.

I have a yeast infection after the antibiotics as per usual, and thought I'd try the garlic remedy. Popped two capsules of garlic oil into myself last night, the kind with a dissolvable gelatin coating. This morning my entire room smells, and to add injury to insult when I went questing in myself for any capsule remnants, it appears I am full (I apologize for the gross-out) of a soft, semi-solid grayish substance. I've tried to get as much out as I could because I've got a faint, pressure type of headache and dry eyes, and do not want to find I've given myself Toxic Shock Syndrome on top of everything else.

As with the yogurt therapy, my vagina is swollen and burning slightly. And still itchy. And reeks very, very strongly of garlic.

I am on the verge of aiming a firehose at my crotch and turning it on full blast.

Or, more pragmatically, sliding in an Albothyl pessary, because it's meant to encourage vaginal secretions and will hopefully 'wash' me out.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

XI,

I think we are both at our wits end, and home remedies are as useless as prescriptions or over the counter cures, at least for some of us. I doubt there is much research into this problem, as women often fall to the side if you know what I mean. Because I have Lupus and am on all kinds of meds my immune system is so wacky. I've gone as far as aiming a fan at my vagina to keep it dry, maybe I'll try some ice cubes to freeze the suckers out!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

Xi,

The probotics seem to have helped some, and the Dr. prescribed a 7 day vaginal injection, it's called Teconazole cream, so far I've had two days without itching and burning. It seems to be working, but I'm not going to get excited until after the 7 days. Hopefully it won't rebound even worse. I'll let everyone know and those that have been had long battles with the yeast infection can ask their own Dr's about it.

I miss my partner, if you know what I mean, even us lesbians can't get around the dreaded YI.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
(female)

xixilia HB User

Alexa,

That is great news! Fingers crossed, here's hoping it continues to work. It's bad enough that the itching and burning makes it harder to enjoy life, but the infection stops us from enjoying other people as well. We have needs too!

I foolishly drank alcohol a couple nights ago and have been paying the price ever since. I'm having my period now so no pessaries, but I'm watching my diet closely and using probiotics. Wonder if a daily multivitamin will help boost my body's natural defenses as well?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
(female)

Era Phoenix HB User

Dear xixilia,

I feel your pain and I completely sympathize with you in your situation. As much as it would hurt your pocket I believe you should go ahead with the procedure. After years of repeatedly going to doctors and being told nothing is wrong with you, if they even have an inkling you should trust them. Go to another doctor to see what they think if you want but that is more time to deal with your symptoms and more time to fret over them.

What I would do is make a list of all the symptoms you have, and then make another list, the pros and cons of getting it done now or waiting to get a second opinion first, and of course the money implications, which can hurt. I myself do not have insurance and find myself suffering everyday for it. It's a hard road and support is important. Ask people close to you, see what they think. Check your lists and look them over, sometimes it's hard to sort through the stress of everything in your head - seeing it all in front of you can be helpful and writing them down could make you think of things you hadn't considered.

I wish you the best of luck.

"I am reborn from the ashes that continuously bring me down, it'll take more than fire to destroy me."

Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

XI,

I'm still doing better, and I haven't itched for several days; tonight is the last night of the treatment, so keep your fingers crossed that it lasts. I'd like to plan a romantic evening for my partner; she has been so supportive.

Yes, alcohol does make it worse, but I quit drinking years ago because I've been on pain meds and they don't mix! Sorry things are worse. Are the tests still coming up negative for yeast?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
(female)

xixilia HB User

Dear Era,

Thank you for your message and the reasoned approach to things you suggested. I'm checking on my insurance and not liking what I see, but what has to be done has to be done.

At the moment though I'm on a course of medication now which is alleviating the symptoms some, which gives me hope... and a few days of clear-headedness to plan my next step in case things take a turn for the worse.

Dear Alexa,

I hope the injection has done the trick and your discomfort is a thing of the past. And also that you had that lovely romantic evening with your partner!

Yesterday I went to the doctor to collect test results for the UTI I was having. I'm familiar with UTI symptoms, they went away after antibiotics, we'd done a dip stick test in the doctor's office with the very same sample which showed a fairly large amount of blood, BUT the test results came back negative for everything! No blood, no white cells, no bacteria! I have lost all faith in this particular pathology lab. I wonder if a similar situation occurred with my yeast culture results.

Right now I'm on Flagyl which is helping a fair amount. No swelling, less urgency. My only fear is that I will run out of pills before the itching goes away completely, as Flagyl is not a medication one can take long-term. But we'll see when the course is over.

Closed Thread