It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Rachael2102 HB User
Beta-mannan for cervical dysplasia

Hi all! This is my first time here, but want to share my story as I'm finding out so many other women are also affected by HPV and cervical dysplasia. I'm a 27 year old, non-smoking, relatively healthy person. I was diagnosed with HPV in September of 2008. I was kind of in denial about the whole thing, and didn't follow up with the recommended colposcopy because frankly I was too scared to go through with it!!

A year later, I went in again for my pap, and prayed it would come back normal and HPV-free. I did not end up so lucky. The HPV was still there and my doctor again recommended I come back in for a colposcopy, which I did. I was SO nervous, but it wasn't bad at all!! The doctor took out 2 small biopsies which I literally could not feel at all. I know this feels different for everyone, but I honestly didn't feel a thing. The worse part was afterwards when the doctor was holding a swab with medicine on my cervix, and I felt a cramping sensation.

A week later I got the results - mild to moderate dysplasia. My heart sank! My doctor felt this was something that would most likely not go away on its own. I was so disappointed!! She said I should come in for a LEEP procedure sometime in the next few months. I made the appointment for the following month.

But, after doing some research online and reading forums just like this one, I decided to give the supplement Beta Mannan a try.

Its a little pricey. $29 a bottle, and the recommended dosage to reverse dysplasia is 3 bottles a month for 3 months, so about $260 total. To me, its so worth it. I just started taking the supplements two days ago. It says to take 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night (on an empty stomach), as well as 1 in the morning vaginally, and then again at night.

I called my doctor today to tell her I wanted to cancel my LEEP for now, and then come back in 90 days for a repeat pap to see if things have gotten better. My doctor has never heard of Beta-mannan and was extremely skeptical, but told me she saw no harm in waiting a few more months, as this is a somewhat slow-progressing disease.

After my pap in December, I will post my results. I'm REALLY hoping I hear good news that will completely shock my doctor. I don't want my doctor to have the satisfaction of being right about Beta-mannan not working!

Anyways, if anyone is reading this, I will keep you updated with my results!! Wish me luck!

~Rachael

Last edited by moderator2; 10-14-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

The following user gives a hug of support to Rachael2102:
apple orange 23 (11-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael2102 For This Useful Post:
Jacqueline0427 (09-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
(female)

Osophie HB User
Re: Beta-mannan for cervical dysplasia

Hi Rachael,

I read your comment and feeling same way not to have surgery/procedure and try some supplements/herbs. I had my leep done almost a month ago. then they wanted me do Cone procedure which is they gonna take more tissues from my cervix. I had an appointment for Cone procedure but I learned ( from online and book etc ) out so many different ways you could live dysplasia free.
I talked with my doctor about not having procedure and she told me to try what I think is best but within 3 months need to be given at least colposcopy/biopsy test done to make sure how I'm doing. So I started taking some herbal teas and lots of supplements which never would harm you at all, it's all good staff.

I wish you very best and let me know how is your treatment goin on
Thanks,
Sophia

Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

Rachael2102 HB User

Hi Sophia,

Thanks for your comment. I am still taking the Beta Mannan every day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. I'm not sure yet whether or not its helping, but I'm scheduled for a pap, and possibly another colposcopy, at the end of December. I'm really hoping the dysplasia is gone by then or has at least become less severe so that a procedure is not necessary.

What kind of tea are you drinking? Is it something to boost the immune system? I hope it helps, and that you don't have to go through with any more procedures. I will post another update after my pap results in December.

Good luck!

~Rachael

Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I wish you ladies both allot of luck- and I do not mean to sound skeptical in anyway, but please be careful. First of all, beta mannon is another "natural" source which is sold to treat everything from cervical dysplasia to high blood pressure, depending on what website you read....and secondly, its not all natural.
Herbs, and some supplements are not always good for you. Herbs, especially, are not FDA approved, and therfore, what is in them, is anybodies guess. Because they arent monitored by the government, quite a few articles pop up about the ingrediants which are actually in those supplements and herbs- and even more questions are asked about the manufacturing (who/ where) ...

So please be careful. Sounds like you both have every intention of following up with medical professionals, and I hope you do- on every corner of this earth there is a "snake oil salesman" willing to sell you a cure for just about every ailment. I have a chronic disease-one that over 400,000 people in the USA have. There are over 20,000 "cures' online- none of which will ever work. If they did, the person who invented it would be not only world famous, but a genius. I had to learn the hard way NOT to trust the internet for anything but "real life stories" and opinions...and that is all I offer you. I wish you both luck, but please do follow up with your doctors!

Best of the best..
nikki

Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
(female)

Osophie HB User

Hi Rachael,
thanks for you reply.

< edited >

Take care,
Sophia

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-20-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
(female)

Rachael2102 HB User

Hey Everyone -

Just wanted to let you know I have been on Beta Mannan to help my cervical dysplasia for 3 months now, and my repeat pap and possible colposcopy is scheduled for this afternoon!! I will post my results on here as soon as I get them. I'm really hoping it wasn't a mistake to cancel the LEEP procedure and put all my hope in Beta Mannan. Well I REALLY hope it helped!! We will find out soon.

~Rachael

UPDATE: I emailed Alotek, the suppliers of Beta-mannan, letting them know my doctor saw no change in my dysplasia. The next day, I received an email stating they would refund all of my money!! So to anyone out there who needs LEEP, I would say its definitely worth it to try using the Beta Mannan because if it doesn't work, you can always get your money back.

Last edited by Rachael2102; 12-29-2009 at 11:06 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rachael2102:
apple orange 23 (11-17-2011)
Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
(female)

Rachael2102 HB User

Ok, just got back from my appt. and my doctor still recommends I have the LEEP procedure done. She did a second colposcopy and said she didn't see much change. She said I can wait and see, but she said the likelihood of the moderate dysplasia going away on its own is very unlikely. So it seems like Beta Mannan did not work for me, but that doesn't mean it may not work for others with less severe dysplasia.

I'm pretty bummed, but I know the LEEP is not that big of a deal so I'm ok with it. I'm going to call the makers of Beta Mannan because I believe their website states there is a money-back guarantee. I hope that's true!!

Last edited by Rachael2102; 12-28-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread