It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

pinkrobot HB User
is it reasonable to ask to see a DOCTOR?

Okay, a quick background: for almost 2 years I've had the symptoms of a vaginal infection (heavy yellow discharge and lots of irritation), yet tests for EVERYTHING have come back negative. I've been seeing my doctor for almost a year about this problem, and she's been trying various treatments to make it go away. So far, nothing has worked. I also saw a couple of other doctors at my college clinic last year about this problem.

Problem is, every "doctor" I've seen regarding the problem is a CRNP, not an actual ob/gyn. So...I'm wanting to call my gyno's office to request to be seen again because the latest treatment she gave me isn't helping. But is it reasonable for me to request to see an actual doctor rather than a nurse practitioner? I've seen the CRNP now about 7 times and she just keeps shooting in the dark, and I'm ready to see an actual doctor. But I don't want to make a fuss over it if I'm just wasting her time. My CRNP hasn't ever offered to refer me to one of the doctors in the office, she just keeps telling me, "Come back and see me if this doesn't work." Would an ob/gyn be more likely to be able to help me than a nurse practitioner? I don't know how much more "expertise" they have, so I'm not sure what good it will do. But I'm tired of being told my problem is a mystery and having trial-and-error treatments...

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: is it reasonable to ask to see a DOCTOR?

ABSOLUTELY!!! Girlfriend, march your butt into that office and in your sweetest most professional voice, REQUEST to make an appt with the doctor. If the nurse practitioner tries to give you the run-around, keep at it - it's your body and you've been at this for TOO long.

If you feel like you're getting no where, then you are - go to a different clinic/office. Remember that you are in charge of you and your health! Doctors are a dime/dozen...it's your money and your time too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A friend of mine had an infection that wouldn't go away like this. It was finally determined that it was a staph infection! Once treated with the correct antibiotic (and they disinfected their hot tub which turned out to be the source), she was fine. Tell the receptionist that you want an appointment with the doctor, not the NP.....and make sure you get it.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
(female)

pinkrobot HB User

Thank you both! I called today and explained my situation and asked to see the doctor, and they were totally helpful and set me up with an appointment. Hopefully it will help!

Closed Thread