It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

birdsedge HB User
Cancer terror

I am terrified my results from a hysteroscopy will be cancer. had a scan showed thickened womb lining and possible polyp. Have had flooding episodes of bleeding for two years. Could it possibly not be cancer? Terrified?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
(female)

Perifedup HB User
Re: Cancer terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsedge View Post
I am terrified my results from a hysteroscopy will be cancer. had a scan showed thickened womb lining and possible polyp. Have had flooding episodes of bleeding for two years. Could it possibly not be cancer? Terrified?
Of course it could possibly NOT be cancer!!! Cancer is usually the least likely and the lower possibility of reasons for heavier bleeding during perimenopause/premenopause.

My bet is that the thickened endometrial lining could and probably is normal proliferative build up and the excessive bleeding could be from the polyp. Actually, the most common cause of excessive bleeding is polyps and fibroids.

Don't forget that our uterus isn't this hollow pear like they show in diagrams. The sides are often flattened against each other which flattens down a polyp and can create the illusion of a thickened endometrial lining. Polyps usually hang on "stalks" and they rub against endometrial tissues, baring little veins and causing irritation, which in turn, leads to heavier bleeding.

Another fact that I hope puts your mind at ease. Endometrial/Uterine cancer is most often diagnosed in post menopausal women. It takes approximately 10 years for it to form and it's usually because the lining has not been shed fully. In your case, you are getting periods still. Lastly, they are likely going in to do the hysteroscopy to see what is going on in there...ie: polyps or fibroids to determine what it is that's causing the heavier bleeds. They can remove polyps during hysteroscopy so, if that's the cause, it's taken care of. Of course, they always biopsy as routine measures but, it's the least likely of the possible causes of your bleeding. It just has to be ruled out as a routine precaution. In other words, they're more likely doing the hysteroscopy for reasons other than looking for cancer. The cancer idea is just one of many things that they are looking at when viewing your uterus.

So, relax! I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about and it's more than likely polyps or fibroids as the cause of your bleeding and the thickened lining. It's just another step in trying to help you.

Keep us updated or talk more if you want to!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread