It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

RaeShea HB User
Question Irregular periods- Should I see a doctor?

So, for the past six months or so I've been having really irregular periods (They've previously been very regular). At first, I would skip every other month and now, for the past two months, I haven't had a period at all. I'm 16 years old and I know that teenagers can have irregular periods, but this has never happened to me before. Should I see a doctor?

Last edited by RaeShea; 10-16-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: forgot age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

Perifedup HB User
Re: Irregular periods- Should I see a doctor?

At what age did you have your very first period ever?

In the first couple of years of getting periods, it may take some time for your body to settle into a regular "routine". That may mean, hit and miss with the regularity. It can mean still having irregular periods and can be quite normal. It's highly unlikely that you have anything wrong with you at all.

But, first things first. Are you sexually active? If so, have you been using birth control of one kind or another? If not, you really want to talk to a medical professional about the possibility of pregnancy just to be on the safe side.

Next, if the above doesn't apply in any way, have you been under stress lately? New school, exams, tough time in your life, stress with friends, home, family...or, any other big stress that has you upset?

Are you dieting or exercising a lot? These things, in extremes, can cause a wonky period schedule.

There's all kinds of reasons for it that are nothing to be concerned about. But, if any of these things are factors for you (as mentioned above), then I suggest that you talk it over with a professional that you feel comfortable talking to and if you feel comfortable talking with your parents or another family member, please do so. If not....we are here to talk to too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
(female)

RaeShea HB User
Re: Irregular periods- Should I see a doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifedup View Post
At what age did you have your very first period ever?

In the first couple of years of getting periods, it may take some time for your body to settle into a regular "routine". That may mean, hit and miss with the regularity. It can mean still having irregular periods and can be quite normal. It's highly unlikely that you have anything wrong with you at all.

But, first things first. Are you sexually active? If so, have you been using birth control of one kind or another? If not, you really want to talk to a medical professional about the possibility of pregnancy just to be on the safe side.

Next, if the above doesn't apply in any way, have you been under stress lately? New school, exams, tough time in your life, stress with friends, home, family...or, any other big stress that has you upset?

Are you dieting or exercising a lot? These things, in extremes, can cause a wonky period schedule.

There's all kinds of reasons for it that are nothing to be concerned about. But, if any of these things are factors for you (as mentioned above), then I suggest that you talk it over with a professional that you feel comfortable talking to and if you feel comfortable talking with your parents or another family member, please do so. If not....we are here to talk to too.

I got my first period when I was 11, so it's been 5..nearly 6 years of periods for me.And I am not sexually active or on birth control pills, and I've always been pretty active (soccer three times a week) and pretty stressed (home life), so no factors have really changed in my life that I can think of for me to link to the irregularities in my period. I've just become pretty worried lately because my period hasn't come at all for the last two months.
Thanks for the reply!

Closed Thread