It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

nervous11 HB User
Exclamation Scared that it may be ovarian cancer.. Help please!

Greetings! I am 23 yrs old and have spent the past year feeling ill. It began with abdominal pain, gas, constipation or loose stools (depending on the day), and always feeling sick to my stomach. Doc's did tons of stomach blood tests, all came back clean. Sent me for an ultrasound (of my liver and other tummy areas), colonoscopy, and hida scan. Said my gallbladder was functioning at less than 1% and needed to be removed. Good..

Well, I had it out 6 months ago and things have not improved. My OB GYN found a breast lump - sent me for a mamo and ultrasound. Found nothing. Good..

Then she did a pelvic ultrasound and found a cyst and could not locate my left ovary which she said was normal. She sent me for a pelvic MRI (without contrast as I am allergic to iodine) and she seemed to have them focus on my uterus. She said my uterus is thin, how it should be, and everything was fine.

Well, for the past 9 months I have had spotting which I have NEVER had before, always the 2nd week of my period. Fine, she changed pills for me.

I live with constipation, gas, and bathroom problems almost every single day. When I have bathroom issues, I get sharp pains on my left pelvic area like a knife digging in. Constant indegestion or upset stomach, pain, and general discomfort. But my doc seems to think this is not related..

My sex drive is non-existant and I finally caved and tried to have sex with my husband however it was painful and burned.

Do you think this is all related? Could this be ovarian cancer? I have read it is called the "silent killer" and I feel like I have too many symptoms.... I go to the docs in 12 days and I need advice on how to address all of this to my doctor.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.. please respond!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Scared that it may be ovarian cancer.. Help please!

I'm not really sure as the symptoms of ovarian cancer are similar to other problems so its hard to diagnose.

Your symptoms are also similar to IBS, which is more common among women than men. Have you ever been checked out for IBS? You might want to look into it.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

I doubt that the cyst has anything to do with it. Women have functional cysts on their ovaries as a matter of course. However, since you are taking anti ovulants, you should not be ovulating and should therefore not have functional cysts. The pills they use today however, are not very strong and recent studies have found that women continue to ovulate despite the pill. The thing that keeps women from getting pregnant is the progesterone in the pill which keeps the lining of the womb very thin which in turn makes it impossible for the egg to become implanted.

I assume that they have done a pelvic ultrasound as well as the MRI ? Do you know what kind of cyst you have (simple, complex, hemmorraghic etc..) ? I would not worry too much about ovarian cancer. Not only is it EXTREMELY rare at your age but if you have had your symptoms for over a year, then it is unlikely to be this. Ovarian cancer is notoriously fast moving most of the time and moves from stage 1 to later stages in approximately 3-6 months.

Have they checked for things such as celiac disease, crohn's colitis, diverticulitis etc.. the last two should have been seen on the colonoscopy but celiac disease has to be specifically tested for. You may also try to see if perhaps you have some sort of food intolerance. Keep an hourly journal and write down everything you eat and exactly when you get sick and how (ie. nausea, loose stool etc..). In addition, you may want to instigate certain things such as starting to take probiotics (you can get these in pill form if you are lactose intolerant), drinking proper amounts of water, adding more fibre to your diet such as metamucil daily tablets (this is just psillium fibre), and increasing your exercise by taking a regular daily walk to help the bowels.

If it does turn out to be IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), a lot of these things will help for that too. I hope they get to the root of your problem soon. Living the way you are living is unacceptable and you are right to keep insisting until you find a cause so that you can also find a solution.

All the best for a speedy solution.

Estria

Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

smadie HB User

Hi. Sorry you are feeling so bad and have been dealing with this for so long. Have you considered stopping birth control pills? I was on the pill for 17 years and just stopped on October 1st. I had a lot of bathroom/digestion issues and just plain feeling lousy and tired all the time. Since stopping the pill, I feel like a new woman. I no longer am bloated, constipated and don't feel tired or lousy. Good luck finding the answers to your problem.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

beth67 HB User

I would get some blood tests done. You sound a lot like me. Stomach problems, gas, bloating, fatigue, pain. My sex drive was down and I hardly had sex and when I did I did like you and gave in just to do it and of course it hurt. Your not in the mood and so things are not flowing right. I was diagnosed with celiac disease last July which explained all of my symptoms. I highly recommend you take the test. Make sure you are eating gluten (wheat, rye, barley) before the test. I would also get an ELISA blood test to check for food allergies like wheat, dairy, egg, soy and nut. I would rule out those two things. Good luck.

Beth

Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
(female)

dennij HB User

My daughter has Celiac Disease she is only 30 was discovered a few years ago, have the test it will put your mind at rest.
When she was younger we put it down to lactose intolerance but as she got older it just gave her too much grief, she feels better knowing what it is and how to deal with it.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
(female)

nervous11 HB User

Thank you for all of your help! I have been tested for celiac and it came back negative. They have tried anxiety medication as well thinking that maybe I am just under a lot of stress inducing digestion issues. This too did not work...

I am finding that I have to urinate more frequent these past few days and there is a pretty constant girgle (sounds bizarre, I know) in my lower belly. I feel so puffy as if I am retaining water or something. Gas however it is only at night (I wonder why that is?) and still constipation or diah. but only in the morning. It is just so frustrating. The pain in my pelvic area is not constant however that is where the girgling occurs. I just don't get it....

Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
(female)

rooney5 HB User

i think ovarian cancer is a leap. i know when you get online and read things it becomes overwhelming and you just start linking symptoms to the scariest of things. i had three ovarian cysts in march. i had to have them removed actually because they were mass filled. but most ovarian cysts will, over a few months, kind of wash themselves out, for lack of better medical terms. so i would definitely relax about that, but i can appreciate someone else getting equally as freaked out about finding scary causes for their unexplained symptoms.

i've had all the same symptoms as yours, including the sharp pelvic pains, although mine changes sides, just depends on the day, and the lack of sex drive and have been struggling for years to find the answer to my problems. someone else mentioned giving in to having sex and that being the cause of it being painful, which i do think makes a lot of sense. for the other symptoms...i was told i had IBS after having many of the same tests you described. and the more i look into it, i just hate that as a medical description. it basically is saying we don't know what your problem is, but these are your symptoms...good luck.

more recently i have also been having chronic headaches and frequent migraines. and have been trying to maybe link all the things together. i do think that celiac's or some kind of food allergy could be the issue. it does make sense that your stomach and digestive system are having trouble with the kind of foods you are putting into your body. i am planning on talking to my doctor about these things the next time i go, which is in a week or so.

good luck. and let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread