It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Unhappy Confused/Don't get it at all/Period??

I am almost 42 yo. For the first time in my life, I have missed my period. This has never happened unless I was pregnant. First day of LMP was 09/14/09.My periods come like clockwork, and have never had any menstrual problems. Back in July I did a medication switch. Effexor XR to Wellbutrin 200 mg. August and September I spotted prior to my period, which did come on time and was normal. Saw GYN who did exam and pap, all normal. This month, I skipped altogether. My periods run 23-25 days faithfully. It is now 10/21. Still nothing. Went to Dr's last Thursday, he did another exam(normal), preg blood test(neg) and trans-vag U/S. The results of the U/S was normal. Although he did say I had a follicular cyst? He said that is what every woman gets every month. It opens and drops the egg. My endo lining was thickened like I was going to get my period. He could not tell if I ovulated or not.
My questions are these: Do you think the med switch could have caused this? I am currently being weaned off of Wellbutrin as I am not sure if that is it.

I also took 2nd preg test. Again, negative. I have had cramps for three days, yet no period. I have never had cramps for 3 days. Actually, I hardly have cramping since I am on Librax for IBS, so it cuts my cramps way down. So cramps, but no period? How can that be?

He wants me to wait another 2-3 weeks. If nothing, he said he will then do an endo biopsy to rule out Uterine Cancer???(why?) And send me for bloodwork to test thyroid and hormones. He does NOT believe I am perimenopausal, and he is not thoroughly convinced it was my med switch either. He thinks it was just a fluke thing. He also said he would give me something to jump start my period.I am assuming Provera, as I cannot take BC pills due to my age, I am a smoker, and borderline hypertensive.

I know is is "normal" for many women not to get their periods one month. But it is not "normal" for me. And because I have cramps, I do not get why I do not have it??

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
(male)

lappy HB User
Re: Confused/Don't get it at all/Period??

you are probably in menopause. you ARE 42

Old 10-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lappy View Post
you are probably in menopause. you ARE 42
GYN says no, I am to young. And it doesnt make any sense that I have cramps???.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

paulcindy88: Just because your doctor says you're not in perimenopause doesn't mean your not starting it. Women can start having perimenopause symptoms as early as 30 years old. Are you under any type of stress? Stress can mess your cycles up. I started getting problems when I was 43 and it turned out that I am estrogen dominant. My ovaries are shutting down and not making enough progesterone and my cycles are all messed up. I'm a few years older than you but I'm just saying that this all started around your age for me. Young girls are getting their periods earlier these days and women are entering menopause earlier as well. Being a smoker doesn't help matters either I suppose. Your meds could be a factor but I'd definitely get the hormones tested. See an endocrinologist if you have to. You say this is not normal for you - well this COULD be the NEW NORMAL for you. Don't let is stress you out. Just get the tests done and see where your levels are at. Be thankful you're not pregnant at 42!!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

LOL...I am REALLY glad I am not pregnant...!!

It is just weird to have cramps and not get my period. I am supposed to wait 2 weeks. If nothing, go back and see GYN, and then he said he would do blood work. If my levels are to low, then it could be a good indicator as to why I did not ovulate this month(or due to meds who knows).

And I did get my period at 12. And I am a smoker. I do think it could be perimenopause or my meds. Or both. Who knows.

Pregnant? AACK!

Thank you

Closed Thread