It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

OlliesYaya HB User
Thumbs up VIN III/HPV/Disorders of the Vulva

I'm home now, into my 3d week of recovery from a vulvectomy due to something called VIN III w/HPV effect. When my saga started 2 months ago, I had no idea how little information there is about this sort of thing. I've spent God-knows how many hours on the web researching diseases of the vulva.

I had, what I thought was a hair bump that simply would not heal. When I asked my husband to look at it, he said I was starting to lose pigment along w/a lesion. A few weeks later, after getting no relief, he looked again & said it appeared to be getting larger.

My PCP thought I had lichen sclerosis but sent me to a GYN for a biopsy; 7 days later, I got a call while shopping to say that the biopsy wasn't clean and I needed to get in to see an oncologist who specialized in GYN cancers pronto. Three days later, she took a look at me and said, "I'm not convinced that you don't have cancer already but the only way to find out is surgery." THAT was a very sobering moment--my emotions kept veering from steely resolve to paralyzing fear!

I had surgery 2 weeks later. From her description, she made the procedure seem like a piece of cake...I honestly expected to be in and out of there in 2 hours! When I finally woke up, it was 6 1/2 hours later. Once she start cutting, she found a lot more diseased tissue which led us to believe that this "problem" started a lot sooner than 6-months ago which I thought. That part I don't understand because I have GYN exams like clockwork every year.

Even though I had to come home w/a catheter, the pain didn't really kick in until 2 days later--the sensation alternated between feeling as if my flesh was on fire and feeling like it had been thru a meat grinder. I took Percodan & anti-nausea meds every 4 hours like clockwork--we were sleep deprived & exhausted for several days--anyone who has an infant knows what I mean.

Thankfully we had sitz baths & disposable waterproof pads on-hand. The doc warned me that urinating was going to be painful, but using a spray bottle w/warm water and a warm, moist face-towel worked wonders. I slept on a waterproof pad with 1 bag of frozen vegetables (wrapped in a cotton diaper) under my public area & 1 on top. After every void, I let the area air-dry (I was stitched up both sides of my public area and half-way up my bottom) then my husband applied a mixture of lidocaine/Neosporin and sometimes A&D.

My stitches came out about 2 weeks later--agony! The upside is, the swelling has gone down; at its worst, it made walking very difficult and painful. I still can't stay on my feet for too long or else I'll start swelling and sitting on hard surfaces is a no-no.

Am not sure if this is likely to recur or if it makes me susceptible to other types of female cancers. That's probably my biggest fear. It took me 2 weeks to get up the courage to even look at the site. The doctor says I must have exams every 3 months for the next 2 years and then it'll go to every 6 months. My official diagnosis was something called carcinoma in situ.

For anyone who is going thru this or is scheduled to, you have my prayers and sympathy. It's a difficult thing to explain to others but for someone who is dealing with it...please know that you are not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to OlliesYaya:
Silentsam (08-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread