It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
missed period and Provera?

Hi, I just turned 42 and skipped my period for the first time ever(unless I was pregnant). I went to the GYN and exam and pap was normal. He sent me for an U/S(probably more to ease my mind), and it came out fine. He just said that I had a follicular cyst and my endo lining was thickened like "I was going to gt a period".

So he just said to wait two-three weeks and come back, and that he would do an endo biopsy and probably start me on provera to try and "jumps start" it.

I didn't realize that skipping one period was that worrisome, and that it constitutes a Endo Biopsy???

And has enyone been on Provera? If I take this, am I going to have heavy, heavy bleeding and cramps?(To the point where I feel like I cannot leave my house?)

And I will "assume" I didn't ovulate this month. Is it possible for me to ovulate on my own this month? And I do not understand if I skipped my period, "when" I might get another one, or "when" I might ovulate on my own? Would my period come around the time it was supposed to from the previous month?(So if I got my period on 09/14, skipped this month and on a 25 day cycle, I should get it around 11/3??)

I have ALWAYS been like clockwork. And have never, ever had any trouble with my cycles ever.

I do not understand if I really *need* to have endo biopsy? Or take the Provera if I do not get my periiod again this month.

BTW, I am not pregnant. Two negative blod tests.
Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: missed period and Provera?

I hate to say it but you could be at the beginning of perimenopause. You're not that young anymore. I'm a little older than you are but I missed a period for 3 months earlier this year and then they came for 2 months on time and now I'm at day 50 and still nothing. One of my doctors is prescribing Provera for me because I need to get a period so I can have another procedure done. I've never been on it so I don't know what to expect. Your ovulation times are going to change as you get further into peri. You may not ovulate at all sometimes. I guess I'd take the Provera instead of the biopsy. Less painful I'd say. I'd wait and see if it comes on it's own in another month. Have your hormone levels checked. That will tell if you're in peri or not. It can also tell you if you're ovulating. Take care.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

paulcindy88: I got the Provera yesterday and took one last night. It says that you should get a period within 3-7 days after you stop the meds. Side effects are: Nausea, bloating, breast tenderness, headache, change in vaginal discharge, mood swings, blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, weight gain/loss. That's the short list. It also says don't take it if you're allergic to peanuts or soy. I can already feel the effects of it. It says not to drive or use machinery until you know how it effects you. I don't know how it's going to feel after the 5 days. I'll let you know when I get there. I can't go anywhere anyway - I'm homebound to begin with. Long, ugly story that is the result of lovely menopause. Read some of my other posts if you want the details. I don't feel like typing it all out again. Have a good one.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paulcindy88: I did feel some of the side effects from the Provera today. I felt nauseated but when I had something to eat it subsided. I did feel more of a headache than I usually do and I did feel more dizzy and thought my vision was off more than usual. I just felt like lying down all day but I never was able to. Just staying in touch to let you know.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
(female)

phillyjules HB User

I've been on a ten day dose of Provera for the past 2 months to try to straighten out whatever the **** I have going on with my body.

I saw a doctor I trust and he said that the Provera could be contributing to the excessive bleeding I'm experiencing. I've had more bleeding & cramping in the days following when I stop the 10 day dosage of provera than anything I could imagine.

That could be due to my condition, whatever it happens to be, or not??

I think everyone probably reacts a little differently to it since it's hormonal.

-A.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User

Well, I have not heard to many good things about Provera. How is it going for you now?

I have not gotten my period yet. I have a GYN appt on Tuesday because it will be almost 60 days and no period. I have had terrible cramp though these past two days, and very litle brown spotting. Mainly when I wipe. I have no idea what this means? Dangerous or no?

I have been doing some reading on Progetins and see they are not healthy for you body at all. So I am not so sure about taking this stuff. I have done some reading on Crinone vaginal progesterone cream. It is a bio-identical hormone. Not a progestin. Less side effects from what I understand.

Sounds like I may have a thyroid issue which I am being tested for, or it is def hormonal, which case I am ito perimenopause at the young age of 41(42 in a week).

I am only worried about hyperplasia. Other then that, if there is no risk there, I am letting nature take it's course.

Let me know how the Provera is working out.

Closed Thread