It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Increased pmy symptoms since laprascopy

Has anyone else whose had a laprascopy done found that there pmt symptoms have increased? I had lapra done in Sept had one period since and boy did l suffer before it l do anyhow but this was much worse my mood swings were horrendous and l could of cried at the drop of a hat. I thought it was a one off but periods due again and lm turning into a monster l feel awful lm screaming at those l shouldnt be and l feel so down l could could cry for ever at moment is this normal? I had the lapra done to remove a 4 inch ovarian cyst. I dont know what else they done until l go to my catch up appointment mid november l suspect they did soemthign else as l had 2 cuts above the bikini line instead of 1 and also the belly button one too/ Thanks all x

Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Increased pmy symptoms since laprascopy

Hi Niecsey,

Didn't the surgeon come to see you after the lap in order to discuss what was seen ? This is what my doctor did.

As for the incisions, I was supposed to have a bellybutton one, one just above the pubic bone and two above (one on either side) ... just like you have. However, in my case, she managed to do it with one less incision so I just have one side incision and not two of them. A cystectomy is a bit more complicated to do than the entire removal of the ovary and tube (like I had .. due to a 9 cm cyst) so perhaps the four incisions were necessary in your case.

Your first few menstruations after surgery will be a bit screwy. During the surgery they put an instrument into your uterus in order to move it out of the way during the surgery. This will undoubtedly affect the first few periods. I know in my case it did and I had all kinds of clots and stuff coming out. Things settled down after the first few cycles though.

Your body has been through a bit of a traumatic experience so you have to be patient with it and take good care so that things will come back to normal. Eat wisely, get enough exercise, take a good multivitamin (or take a 500 mg vitamin C supplement, everyday) and try to reduce the stress as much as possible. I am sure that things will get back to normal very soon. You should definitely mention this to your doctor at your followup though along with any other issues you may be having post surgically.

Take care.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there thank you so much for your kind reply it was very helpful and reassuring thank you so much x The surgeon came to see me before hand but nothing was said other than we will go in look around and bust the cyst,afterwards it was like a factory process there was 6 of us and we all went down one after the other then we were woken up giving toast and tea made to see if we could wee then sent home! Honestly your post has really ressured me l am so thankful to you. Well l got my period bang on time makes a change as they had started to come every 7/8 weeks up until l had this done, the main difference l have noticed is l am not needing to wee all the time the cyst must of been really pressing on my bladder. I havnt got my usual pmt boil type spot either this time on my chin. As for pain etc thats a bit hard due to the face lve just found out l have arthiritis of the spine including a straight lower spine, fibromyalgia and a few other little things so fingers crossed over the next few months l will notice less symptoms of some description. I guess l will have to wait till mid Nov to see what happened l see this as a good sign that l have not heard anything earlier otherwise they would of been in touch. I hope your feeling lots better now l will keep in touch and let you know what happened when l see the gyny. I think my post confused you a little l had 3 cuts altogether l in belly button and 2 side by side at the top of the bikini line. After l pulled the stitches out after nearly 4 weeks l felt so much more comfy they were meant to disolve but were taking some doing lol Good luck with your health thanks again xxx

Last edited by niecsey; 10-30-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi Niecsey,

Well, sheesh that doesn't sound too informative of the surgeon to say we're going to in and look around and pop the cyst ! Did he remove it or didn't he ? I am sure that he did. They don't actually "bust" the cyst. They aspirate the fluid and then they pry it out of the ovary. With a cystectomy they have to open the ovary, pry the cyst out and then sew up the ovary again. In my case, my surgeon simply snipped out the entire ovary and the tube. The doctor explained what she was going to do in detail before the surgery and she came to see me after the surgery to let me know that everything looked good and the ovary was not adhered to anything so it was an easier surgery.

My surgery was way back in April so I am fine now. Unfortunately for me, I still have some bladder problems which are slowly going away. My doctor tells me that it may take another 4-5 months for them to disappear completely and I have to take potassium citrate in order to make the urine less acidic (I take K-Citra). They are not sure why this occurs with the bladder after surgery (I basically have painful bladder spasms at the end of urination but not always .. it comes and goes). Just my luck I guess. At least it is improving so that's good.

Sorry to hear about your other problems. With all of that, you really don't need additional post surgical issues. Hang in there and I am sure that things will regulate themselves. The human body is a wonderfully resilient organism.

Take care.

Estria

Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there x l love your name by the way Im hoping he got rid of the cyst lol l guess l will just have to wait until my follow up appointment to find out what happened! Not a good day today got my period pain really bad infact l have stomach pain in the right hand side around my side which comes and goes and if l try to bend it hurts my stomach so much l also noticed a connection with sternum area pain before and during my period maybe thats inflammation off the arthiritis? Im fed up of been left in the dark l just want to get myself well again and everything l know now has been a struggle to get too ( finidng out what is wrong with me etc) if l had money l would go private and try and get the whole lot of me sorted out...nooone told me it takes a while for your body to sort itself out after lapra or what to expect l might as well been going for haircut! You mentioned bladder spasms what do they feel like? I have some toilet issues whilst havign period like towards the end of a wee my stomach hurts so bad sort of shooting pain? Im going to make a list to take with me to the gyny and get somethings cleared up! Im going to have to start been more pushy me thinks otherwise l feel lm going to be left to rot! Thanks again for your help and lm so glad your feeling better than you did take care l will let ou know what happens xx

Closed Thread