It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM  
(female)

dayandage HB User
What could cause bloating/constipation AFTER period?

For the past few months or so, the last day of my period has brought me only extreme pain. When I am usual I usually have 2-3 BM a day but for about a week after my TOM I cannot have 1 single BM. It causes immense pain and really uncomfortable pressure. It has been going on a few months but does not occur every cycle. This cycle I was in so much pain I contemplated on going to the ER (I am in college and the student health center and the last time I went to the SHC's GYN she told me it was just hormones and refused an ultrasound)

What concerns me is that I have been menstruating for 5 years, and these abdominal symptoms are just presenting now which makes me think it could be an ovarian cyst or cancer. I have always been irregular (my cycle varies from 14-25 days long usually) I looked up ovarian cancer symptoms/testimonials from survivors and saw a few stories very similar to mine, even at my age. I know I am probably freaking myself out and it might just be psychosomatic, but I am really desperate. Please tell me someone else has had the same experience with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: What could cause bloating/constipation AFTER period?

dayandage: What's your diet like? Are you eating enough fiber? Fiber helps move your bowels along. Also, magnesium will help. Don't rely on whoever told you it's just hormones. You need to get an exam. You could have endometriosis which could cause scar tissue, cysts, IBS, anything. Do you ever have abnormal bleeding? Find a doctor that will listen to you. It's probably hard being away at school. What does your mom say? You can't go on with this pain. It's going to interfere with your learning and studies. It's possible that if you've got irregular periods that a gyno would recommend the BCP to help regulate it. Have you ever had a papsmear? Don't think the worst yet. Get a good exam - and demand it - to you can rest your mind. Good luck, call today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: What could cause bloating/constipation AFTER period?

Hello,

I agree with the previous post. Look at your diet first and foremost. How long have you been in college ? Does this coincide with when the problem started ? If so, then I am sure that your diet changes are to blame. Here are some steps to take in order to help reduce the bloating and constipation:

- drink mint tea and / or cammomile tea (this is a wonderful aid for bloating)
- take a Metamucil tablet every morning (this is just psillium fibre and non habit
forming so you don't have to worry about taking it long term)
- take a regular probiotic either in yoghurt or tablet form (to balance bacteria in your
colon .. this is very important for absorption)
- get regular daily exercise (a brisk 40 minute walk is best and easiest)
- increase veggies like leafy greens (perhaps a salad with lunch)
- drink plenty of water to stay hydrated (this helps stool transit time and prevents the
stool from becoming dry and hard to pass)
- don't stress over this and definitely don't try to force yourself to have a BM ..
stressing will prevent you from relaxing your pelvic floor muscles and will make
things even worse

In regards to ovarian cancer, if you are having these symptoms only at the end of your period and not during other times then it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be something like this. Ovarian cancer symptoms do not come and go. They are persistent and get progressively worse.

Make an appointment for a visit with a gynecologist and make sure you are up to date on your pap smear and pelvic examination. Mention this to him or her and say that this is starting to worry you as it is very painful. See what they say. As the previous posting has mentioned, they may put you on the birth control pill to regulate your periods and hormone levels. Make sure that you are OK with this. Read all of the benefits and risks that being on the pill involve. You may also decide to go on oral contraceptives temporarily until the problem resolves and your period regulates itself. Five years is not a long time to be on your period so your body may still be in the process of stabilizing.

Take care of yourself and make sure you get enough sleep (this is also extremely important).

Regards,

Estria