It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

darkewolfe HB User
I haven't had a period in over a year.

But it's a little more complicated then that, I suppose. I'm mostly posting here because doctors don't have any answers for me, and neither does anyone I've ever talked to about this.

I got my first period when I was about 11, and my period was very regular (coming once a month, on the same day) for about two years. Then all of a sudden, it because extremely irregular. When I hadn't gotten my period for four months, my mom took me to the doctor for the first time. They took some tests, and couldn't find anything wrong with me. They suggested I go on birth control, but I had no desire to, if the irregularity wasn't hurting me.

I haven't had a regular period since. Most of the time, my period will disappear for about three months, and then I'll get one. Sometimes it stays away longer. To be clear, I don't feel any pain, even cramp pain. Sometimes around my 'time of the month', I'll have one day where tiny cramps come and go, but it's nothing at all serious. In fact, my cramps used to be downright lethal when my period was regular; when they became irregular, the pain greatly lessened.

Well, it's officially been over a year since my last period. Still no pain, and nothing else unusual at all. Just a lack of period. But a week ago or so, I started noticing trace amounts of blood on toilet paper when I wiped myself after urinating. At first I wondered if I was sick or something, but then I realized that may have been my period trying to come through... There was no blood in my underwear, only when I wiped. Then a couple of days later, suddenly this thick, brown mucus was found in my underwear. That happened for a couple of days, and now that's gone too.

I'm currently 22 years old, 5'6, and around 165 pounds. I'm not skinny, but I'm not overweight, either. I'm pretty medium sized. I'm active, but I'm not 'athletic'. My diet could be better, I don't eat very regularly, and sometimes I'm only eating one meal a day. I haven't recently lost or gained weight, (although lately I may have lost a little weight, but it wouldn't have been a huge loss, something like a couple of pounds...) and I don't have any notable medical conditions.
I've never been pregnant, and I never plan on being pregnant. I'm also not on any sort of birth control, or any other medications.

I would really like someone's help with this. It's been driving me crazy, and no doctor seems to be able to give me any answers. I would at least like to know what's going on with my body, and if perhaps there are others like me... I would also like to know if I'm sick or not.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by darkewolfe; 10-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: I haven't had a period in over a year.

darke: This is a toughie!! It's not normal. The first thing that came to my mind was the diet issue. Women that are known to be anorexic tend to have problems with their periods because your body needs fat to be able to function right. What kind of doctors have your seen? If you haven't seen an endocrinologist then I would suggest that. They can draw blood and get the hormone levels in you checked. What have the other doctors done for you? Have you had any ultrasounds to see what is or is not in there?
Someone needs to do a scan to see what's going on. It's not normal. The brown mucus
is probably what was built up on the uterus over time and then it finally shed and flushed out. It's not healthy to have that in there. You could end up with uterine cancer. It's possible that you might need to get a D&C and maybe even end up having a hysterectomy (sad to say) so you don't end up with more problems. Don't say you don't want to have kids. You never know what the future holds. You could always adopt anyway. Try the endocrinologist first and then find another gyno that will give you a thorough exam. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

darkewolfe HB User

I don't believe I have, or have ever had, cysts on my ovaries. I literally feel no pain. Not cramp pain, not unusual pain. Nothing.

I'm beginning to believe that this irregularity is caused by my extremely poor diet. After all, if my body isn't getting any of the nutrients it need to function, wouldn't that just make sense?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
(female)

overthinker HB User

hi there, i realized this post is a month old now but if you still read it here is my input.

i had a similar situation except that i was never regular to begin with. i would get it for regular for 2 months, then nothing for 2, then again, then nothing, etc. Until one day i didnt get it, and didnt get it for a year after that. i am very surprised you cant find a doctor with answers...this isnt so uncommon. I was told i have PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome, except without the cycts. the problem with this diagnosis is that it was a process of elimination...basically i didnt have anything else so its probably this. they have me a pill that induces the period...i think its like a one time pill or maybe a couple days i dont remember anymore. wow, the waterfall that erupted after 1 year was nuts haha. i had my period big time and it was still trickling almost until the next one. in any case they put me on the birth control as a result and i have been regular since then. this was 6 yrs ago now. i tried going off of it once but i jsut went back to not having it. if you dont want to be on BC, maybe u should consider taking this pill that induces a period. it is not healthy to not get one because when u have a period it releases hormones that you need like estrogen. i was told if u dont get it your body starts to become like that of a post menopausal woman. this is really not good, and i am surprised no doctor has said that u need to get it. please consider it!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

NYScared HB User

I had my six months check up yesterday and i was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I am 26 years old. I have the cysts on my ovary. I was treated with Loestrin birthcontrol that have statred today. I was on the patch for four years this June. I was taken off because I had pain in my foot during my sleep. I was sent to get a sonogram of the foot. The results came back alright. From June till now has been crazy. My period was thrown off track I guess because I came off the patch. I had no period in October and had it twice a week apart in November. I hate the pill because I dont want to gain weight but it seems I have no choice. I checked the syndrome and the only one I have is acne.

Closed Thread