It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

sillymonkey HB User
Cyst Removal near Clitoris Safe?

Hello! I wrote a few months back about this,

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=698721

Basically I have had all doctors tell me this bump is nothing to worry about. All of them have told me I don't need to have it removed unless it is bothering me. Finally one of them actually stuck a needle in it to make sure it didn't have fluid she could drain. It is solid. This obviously does bother me, but only for "cosmetic" reasons, not wanting to have to explain it to anyone down the line. I think I have finally found a doctor that seems to understand the precarious location of this bump, and am pretty confident she will do a good job removing it.

I have an appointment and a presciption for a Valium to relax my nerves as they shoot some local anesthetic there. She seems to think it will not be a problem.

I still can't help but wonder if I am putting myself and that region in any type of danger unnecessarily though. I won't have health insurance much longer, so I figure I should take care of this while I can, but what if I cause worse problems? I can't seem to find any information about people's experience with something like this.

Can you please offer your advice/thoughts?

Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
(female)

Serenity81 HB User
Re: Cyst Removal near Clitoris Safe?

I actually had a similar surgery done at the end of August. I had what my OB/GYN thought was an infected Bartholin's gland. We went in intending to do a marsupilization (sp?) and once she was started, she realized it wasn't an infected gland at all. It ended up being a mass (quite large in fact).. luckily, they put me under at an outpatient surgery center and I don't recall anything until I woke up in recovery...

Luckily, the pathology results came back normal, they classified it as a benign leiomyoma. I did have more bleeding during the surgery than she'd anticipated, but that's normal as that area is very vascular.

Ultimately, the first week post-op was pretty uncomfortable, but it's been well worth it. It'd been causing pain and discomfort for me in my daily life (not to mention my sexual relationship with my husband!).. I did freak out a bit the first time we were intimate after the doc cleared me to "return to normal activities" (LOL).. there had been some loss of sensation. However, it's all getting better every day. She said that it's normal and it's just that the tissues are inflamed and healing. She said permanent sensation loss is always a possibility but she's rarely ever seen that happen.

Overall it was very successful for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
(female)

sillymonkey HB User

Thanks for your information about your experience. I think she said mine is an inclusion cyst.

I am just nervous. It doesn't hurt at all, I just don't want it there, but what if I mess something up??

Was yours very deep? She didn't imply I would be really uncomfortable for long after, and only is giving me the valium to calm my nerves when she numbs me.

Should I just leave it be???

Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

Serenity81 HB User

I went back and forth as well, deciding if it was the right thing to do. If it's bothering you and you want it gone, then I would say do it, for a few reasons: 1) it will be gone and they can test it to be absolutely sure it's nothing serious, 2) it would put your mind at ease regarding the aesthetic aspects, 3) if you let it go, there is always the possibility it could get larger and cause other problems later.. and like you said, you may not have insurance coverage..

Mine was quite deep the doc said. She told me at my post-op visit that she had to put in 4-5 layers of internal sutures and then the dermabond stuff on the surface (think superglue!), she used the dermabond to minimize scarring. Be prepared to be sore for a week or two.. I didn't totally feel 100% "me" again for about 3 - 3 & 1/2 weeks.. also, initially, because of all the swelling, I thought the scar was going to be horrific!! It definitely isn't. It's a very sensitive area, very vascular and it swelled a LOT, it seemed way worse the first week or so. Now, I can barely tell where the incision was and it's receded towards the interior of the labia. The pain was manageable with the pain medicine she gave me. Just be mindful of getting up and sitting down.. you don't realize just how much you use those muscles to do those things!!

Good luck making your decision and whatever you choose, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Closed Thread