It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

lauri446 HB User
Possible reasons for getting period every 18 -20 days

I am 38 years old. Have been regular my whole life.
All of a sudden I am getting my past 3 periods like every 18-20 days or so.
Lasta about 4-5 days as they usually do.
Anyone else go through this before I'd like to know what you came up with.
My mother had a hyst. at 49 for pre-cancerous conditions.
I had a scraping done around age 18 for pre-cancerous cells after a pap.
Did fertility treatments for 2 of my 3 pregnancies.
Pretty much healthy and now quite concerned.
Anything I google points to cancer....of course.
I have no other symptoms.
Looking for some reassurance that it's probably nothing
I have an appt. next Tuesday to see my gyn.
Thanks.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

karensk HB User
Re: POssible reasons for getting period every 18 -20 days

Lauri, I'd be interested in finding out what your GYN says. In the meantime, don't sweat it please! I found that after children and, especially during breastfeeding as I got older, my periods were doing just as yours, getting closer together. It was a real drag.

I had the usual types of evaluations and everything was completely fine. In the meantime, I went on birth control pills to space out my periods to every 28 days because I was just sick and tired of dealing with the more frequent periods.

Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

destiny dawn HB Userdestiny dawn HB User

the exact same thing is happening to me, for three months, they have been five days earlier than the last each time. i just had a LEEP for CIN3 a few months ago. the margins were unclear, meaning they couldn't determine whether they got all the 'precancerous cells'. so I also am getting worried. to top it off for me, i'm having issues with enlarged lymph nodes around my groin, one which is hard and fixed and scheduled for removal in two weeks! best wishes to you. my doc has mentioned cancer as a possible cause but even with all of these recent problems says it's not too likely so we'll see. I'll keep you posted if it all turns out to be relevant

Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

lauri446 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny dawn View Post
the exact same thing is happening to me, for three months, they have been five days earlier than the last each time. i just had a LEEP for CIN3 a few months ago. the margins were unclear, meaning they couldn't determine whether they got all the 'precancerous cells'. so I also am getting worried. to top it off for me, i'm having issues with enlarged lymph nodes around my groin, one which is hard and fixed and scheduled for removal in two weeks! best wishes to you. my doc has mentioned cancer as a possible cause but even with all of these recent problems says it's not too likely so we'll see. I'll keep you posted if it all turns out to be relevant
I have no idea what a LEEP for CIN3 is.
I have been regular up until 3 periods ago. I had 2 in October & now the 3rd in November. Seems to be about 19 days or so apart.
I am just one of those people who turn to the internet and always seem to come across the worst case scenarios. I do like to be informed and know what questions to ask when I do go in, though.
I am just curious how aggressive my doc. will be.
I can't take BC. I get sooooo sick.
Had hyperemesis with my pregnancies...IV and all for months.
Good luck to you.....

Old 11-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Possible reasons for getting period every 18 -20 days

I would guess it's hormonal, not cancerous. Cancer might cause bleeding, but not a change in your cycle which is what yours sounds like. When I got a huge fibroid (not a cancer) my cycles got shorter too, but also a lot heavier.

Your doc will at least want blood work to see what's up with your hormones.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
(female)

lauri
forgive me! a LEEP is the procedure they used to remove the CIN3 which is precancer of the cervix. they couldn't determine whether it was all removed so what I'm saying is that i'm worried the change in my period isn't a result of remaining cells progressing! I am the same as you. If something funky is going on in my body I want to know what I'm talking about before I go in too. My doctor sometimes asks me if I'm sure I don't want to switch chairs with him while I'm in his office lol. many of my close friends have complained of funny menstrual cycles for years so it's not unreasonable to assume you're fine unless, like thisby says, the bleeding seems unrelated to actual menstruation. i haven't been on BC for about a year since my husband had a vasectomy and I'm wondering if that's not helping facilitate these weird cycles since i was BC for 6 years before that. in any case, i wish you the very best and hope it all turns out in your favor.

-destiny

Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

Aimz20 HB User

i bleed none stop not heavy but when i do eventually come off its only for 3 days an then back on again. ive had my hormoanes checked now just waitin on a scan. gud luck if u get checked out x

Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
(female)

lauri446 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri446 View Post
I am 38 years old. Have been regular my whole life.
All of a sudden I am getting my past 3 periods like every 18-20 days or so.
Lasta about 4-5 days as they usually do.
Anyone else go through this before I'd like to know what you came up with.
My mother had a hyst. at 49 for pre-cancerous conditions.
I had a scraping done around age 18 for pre-cancerous cells after a pap.
Did fertility treatments for 2 of my 3 pregnancies.
Pretty much healthy and now quite concerned.
Anything I google points to cancer....of course.
Looking for some reassurance that it's probably nothing
I have an appt. next Tuesday to see my gyn.
Thanks.....
UPDATE...
Saw the doctor yesterday. Did an endo. biopsy in the office. He said that he got a very small amount and although they are looking for cancer (pre-c cells) he doesn't believe it will be that. He also ordered a sono that I will be having next Wednesday. Blood work as well.
Keeping my fingers crossed it's nothing or nothing too serious.
I have to meet with him in about 3 weeks to go over everything.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
(female)

well lauri i'm glad to hear you got in and started that ball rolling. i hope it's all good news that gets back to you. be sure to let us know! good luck!

Closed Thread