It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

tag0927 HB User
Abnormal Ultrasound -- what does this all mean?

Greetings all -- any help in interpreting this report is greatly appreciated.

I went in to my pcp for an annual routine physical -- she discovered tenderness in my lower left abdomen and ordered ultra sound. Had that yesterday and received call with my results and her urging additional follow-up including CA-125 test and appointment with ob/gyn. This is what the report said (the negative stuff any way). Doesn't sound all that bad to me, but my doctor's reaction kinda threw me for a loop. I do have a family history of Ovarian Cancer. Any help with this "foreign" language is greatly appreciated.

"Left ovary is enlarged measuring 7.5 x 5.8 x 7.5 cm. Left ovary contains
a large cyst measuring 6.3 x 5.5 x 6.1 cm. There are distinct internal
echoes. There are also linear internal echoes which represent
septations. There is acoustic enhancement. No significant internal
vascularity is noted with color Doppler exam. No free fluid is noted.
IMPRESSION:

6.3 cm a complex left ovarian cyst. Size and complexity makes this suspicious for neoplasm."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Re: Abnormal Ultrasound -- what does this all mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag0927 View Post
Greetings all -- any help in interpreting this report is greatly appreciated.

I went in to my pcp for an annual routine physical -- she discovered tenderness in my lower left abdomen and ordered ultra sound. Had that yesterday and received call with my results and her urging additional follow-up including CA-125 test and appointment with ob/gyn. This is what the report said (the negative stuff any way). Doesn't sound all that bad to me, but my doctor's reaction kinda threw me for a loop. I do have a family history of Ovarian Cancer. Any help with this "foreign" language is greatly appreciated.

"Left ovary is enlarged measuring 7.5 x 5.8 x 7.5 cm. Left ovary contains
a large cyst measuring 6.3 x 5.5 x 6.1 cm. There are distinct internal
echoes. There are also linear internal echoes which represent
septations. There is acoustic enhancement. No significant internal
vascularity is noted with color Doppler exam. No free fluid is noted.
IMPRESSION:

6.3 cm a complex left ovarian cyst. Size and complexity makes this suspicious for neoplasm."

Well, the difinition of Neoplasm is this :neoplasm (NEE-oh-PLA-zum)

An abnormal mass of tissue that results when cells divide more than they should or do not die when they should. Neoplasms may be benign (not cancer), or malignant (cancer). Also called tumor.

So the Pathology report is claiming it might possibly be a tumor. Which is why you need to have a follow up. Your Path report is also saying it is not fluid filled, meaning it is a solid growth.

I wish you the best with your follow up. Chances are good, it is probably just benign.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

PaulCindy is right, a neoplasm just means new growth. On the ovary they say this in order to differentiate the growth from a normal functional ovarian cyst which we all grow on our ovaries every month. A new ovarian growth is most likely benign as these are very common. However, due to your family history, I am sure that your doctor wants to be on the safe side and ensure that everything is OK. The fact that you have no vascularity and no free fluid bodes positively for you (although the vascularity thing is controversial). The CA-125 will give them more information although sometimes this silly test can have false positives and false negatives.

Your doctor will either recommend a follow up ultrasound in about 10 weeks time, in addition to the CA-125, or she will recommend that you have it removed with surgery (most likely a laparoscopy if the surgeon is comfortable with this). In order to be 100% certain, you will have to have it removed, otherwise, watching it and doing the CA-125 will give you a reasonable amount of certainty but not 100%. These cysts can be a real nuisance and I urge you not to jump to any conclusions until you have more information.

Come back and ask more questions if you need to. Many of us have had these things so you are not alone.

Best,

Estria

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
(female)

tag0927 HB User

I just need to let off some anxiety and get this off my chest even if it is just as a post. So I called on Friday to make my four week follow-up appointment following my surgery. While doing that I asked to talk with the nurse to see if my pathology results came back yet. she was very nice and told me the pelvic wash report as back and indicated that there was no evidence of maligant cells -- great news. Don't really know what the cells are, but just happy that they are not malignant -- that was enough for me. She told me to call on Monday and she should have the pathology of the mass they removed. Great. So I waited until today to call.

I get the same nurse and she calls up my results and reads to me again the pelvic wash report -- good. Then obviously she was looking at the pathology of the mass and said is "there a best number that Dr. Z can reach you at?" I gave her my cell phone. her words again, "I'm certain Dr. Z. has not seen this yet and she will need to call you."

What does that mean? I know that Dr. Z most likely never saw the pelvic washing results as she does surgeries on Friday and that's when the result was received. Yet the nurse shared with me. I know I am probably looking way too much into this....but I am a little freaked out.

Okay now I feel a bit better -- get this out. More waiting!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Tag

Did Dr. Z every call you back? Is everything alright?

Closed Thread