It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

nycgal24 HB User
ruptured ovarian cyst

Hi

I had terrible stomach pain/cramps, a fever and felt nauseated for a day, then finally went to the ER. They diagnosed me with a ruptured ovarian cyst and said I have fluid in my abdomen from it. They discharged me with pain meds and an antibiotic, and said it would resolve on its own. I have a lot of pain. Is this normal? Is this normal procedure, that the cyst resolves on its own or should I be doing something else? Thanks for your help.

NYC

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: ruptured ovarian cyst

Hello,

Yes ruptured cysts usually resolve on their own and your body will absorb all of the fluid in your abdomen. You may feel bloated as a result so try to help yourself by drinking mint tea which helps to alleviate bloating. For the pain, you can use ibuprofen and a good heating pad will work wonders for you.

The antibiotics they gave you are to prevent a pelvic infection. Try to take a good probiotic yoghurt while taking them in order to maintain the balance of good bacteria in your colon. As to the pain meds, be careful as some pain meds may cause severe constipation. A strong ibuprofen is better for that type of pain (like Naproxen) .. although don't know if you can tolerate ibuprofen (some cannot).

If you see that the pain is getting worse or is not improving in the next day or so, go back to the ER as it may be something else. Hope all is well very soon.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

nycgal24 HB User

Thanks very much, Estria. I was also wondering, why bleeding with the ruptured cyst? If the cyst has fluid rather than blood, and the blood comes from the uterus rather than the ovary (I assume) what is causing the bleeding? I feel very stupid for asking this question...! Thanks.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

You did not mention any bleeding in your previous post. Where is the bleeding coming from ? The vagina, rectum or urinary tract ? You can check if it is coming from the vagina by gently inserting a small tampon into the opening and seeing if it contains blood. If it is coming from the urinary tract, you will usually see blood when you urinate. And if it is coming from the rectum, you may see blood on your stool or on the toilet paper when you wipe.

If the blood is indeed coming from the vagina and it is not time for your period, then you should make an appointment with your doctor so that the cause can be found. I assume that you are premenopausal, right ? Are you on any oral contraceptives by any chance ? If you are, then this is the most likely cause of your bleeding. A change of pill or going off the pill altogether will solve the problem (use another reliable form of birth control in this case as you don't want to compound one problem with another). If not, then your doctor will have to investigate to see why you are having irregular bleeding. Pregnancy, fibroids, a thickened uterus, an atrophied uterus and other things can all cause irregular bleeding.

If the blood is coming from either your rectum or your urinary tract then you should also see your doctor in order to see why this is happening. Possible causes are hemmorrhoids, a urinary tract infection etc.. but only a doctor will be able to diagnose you after doing a few simple tests.

Although I have seen blood listed as a symptom for ruptured ovarian cysts, I am quite sure it is not a common one. If a ruptured cyst does cause bleeding, I would assume that the blood is not blood from the cyst but rather blood from the lining of the uterus which was perhaps irritated or disturbed during the event.

I would schedule an appointment with your doctor, just to be sure that all of your bases are covered and that nothing more needs to be done. Hopefully you will start to feel more comfortable very soon.

All the best.

Estria

Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

It sounds more like a kidney stone. Kidney stones will cause blood in the urine and the type of pain that will cause nausea/vomiting and that will send you to the ER because it's that bad. The pain from a ruptured cyst is bad but not bad enough to send you to the ER or cause nausea but a kidney stone will most definitely do that AND cause blood in your urine. I think you should make an appointment with a urologist and get checked out for kidney stones.

Do you drink enough water? Kidney stones frequently happen to people who don't drink enough water.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
(female)

DiscoChick HB User

Hello. I am a woman that suffers ruptured cysts every other ovulation period. Only someone that hasn't had a ruptured cyst would say that the pain is not intense enough to drive you to go to the ER. The pain is breath-taking and body chilling. The first time it happened, I thought someone was ripping something from inside of me.It was like being pregnant without actually having a baby. There is nausea, sore breasts, belly button pain, dizziness, hunger, lethargy, mood swings, and stabbing pain on whatever side I happen to be suffering through this month. I have never had this happen on my left side. I think those are my months of rest. The pain is horrible. On a scale of one to ten, I always rate it a nine or more. It is that intense. And all the doctors will do is give aspirin and send me away.i have never had blood in my urine, and I am thankful for so. Your symptoms are similar to a ruptured cyst but very different. I have no idea. I've never had kidney stones either. I hope you get better.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Discochick,

I also have extremely painful ovulations although thankfully my pain only lasts for about 30 minutes to an hour so I know that if I hang on, it will pass. When I had a 9 cm ovarian cyst on my left ovary, a huge rupture event was a real possibility and I was told by my gyne to take ibuprofen at the very first sign of any pain. In other words, not to wait until I needed the medication but to take it proactively. It seems that this will reduce the intensity of the pain of a ruptured cyst. You may want to give this a try.

All premenopausal women grow cysts on their ovaries every month and at ovulation one will always rupture in order to release the egg into the fallopian tube. Some women feel this intensely and others feel absolutely nothing. Still others grow very large follicles or cysts which when they rupture release a lot more fluid into the abdomen than usual and so go through very intense pain. You must be in the last group. You may seriously want to consider taking an ibuprofen when you are ovulating, if you are able to pinpoint the time. If not, just be ready to pop a pill at the first inkling of pain and perhaps this will reduce the intensity of the episode.

Unfortunately, there is nothing doctors can do for this at the moment (unless you want to take drugs that shut down ovulation altogether). Be careful with both aspirin and ibuprofen as if you take too many over the long term, these can cause stomach issues.

As for the blood issue. I doubt that when blood is involved that it is due to an ovarian cyst and I am surprised that the emergency room did not consider this in their diagnosis of a ruptured ovarian cyst. All depends on where the blood is emanating from. If from the bladder then either a pelvic urinary tract infection or kidney stones as has already been suggested may be the culprit. If from the vagina then it MAY be due to the cyst or it may be something else (cervical or uterine related). Blood should definitely be taken seriously and a followup trip to the doctor's is certainly warranted in this case.

Anyway, that's my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Estria

Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Sorry but I've had ruptured ovarian cysts twice and kidney stones once. I can tell you without hesitation that the ruptured cysts, while yes very painful, was not enough to make me nauseated or to send me to the hospital. It was a completely different kind of pain localized in a different area and it wasn't nearly as bad as the kidney stone attack.

I'm speaking from personal experience here. I know what both of those feel like. And I remember very well how bad the hematuria was with the kidney stones which is why I think it's necessary to get checked out for that. Blood in the urine is a sure sign of some type of kidney issue but I doubt it's a UTI since that kind of pain is also not as bad as what would send someone to an ER.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
(female)

aldeur HB User

I had a similar experience 2 years ago. I was taken to the ER for a ruptured ovarian cyst and admitted overnight due to and elevated WBC and enlarged spleen. I was offered a morphine drip multiple times. I could barely talk and was in so much pain all I could do was curl up in a ball.

NYCgal24, if you aren't feeling better, please return to your physician. I'm surprised they didn't monitor you overnight, at the least. Free fluid in your abdomen can lead to a variety of other problems and possible infection, depending on the size of the cyst. Ruptured ovarian cysts can be potentially life threatening.

Bracelet, pain is an entirely subjective experience and differs from person to person. Someone may experience a 9/10 for a headache while you may only experience a 4/10 and view it as the worst pain you've ever had. There are multiple variables to consider when assessing pain - such as location and size of the cyst/stone. Please do not apply your experience to others... it is negligent.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
(female)

Swimmer18 HB User

AT THE BEINING OF DEC 09, I WAS SENT TO TEH ER FOR TEH SAME THING, AT FIRST I THOUGH OK THIS PAINS JUST STARTING AND LIKE USUAL WILL GO AWAY LIKE IT USUALLY DOES, BUT IT KEPT GETTING WORSE AND WORSE, AN IT STARTED TO BURN, I NEVER FELT ANYTHING TEAR, I HAVE A HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE BUT IT GO TO THE POINT WHERE I FINALLY WITH TO MY DR, AND THEN WAS SENT TO TEH ER FOR WAHT WAS THOUGH AT FIRST APPENDICITIS, BUT LATER AFTER 2 CT SCANES AND BLOOD WORK WAS A RUPTURED OVARIAN CYST, THEY FOUND FLUID IN MY PELIVES AND DOING SIMPLE THINGS SUCH AS TWISTING AROUND TO GET SOMETHIGN HURT. ITS BEEN OVER AN MONTH IV GONE THROUGH TWO CYCLES AND IM STILL IN PAIN AT TIMES IT GETS TO TEH POINT WHERE IT HURTS JUST TO STAND STRAIGHT, AND MOVING AROUND HURTS, IF I DONT MOVE AND STAY STILL IM OK , BUT WORKING AS A SWIM INSTRUCTOR IS KINDA HARD NOT TO MOVE TO KEEP UP WITH TEH KIDS. MY MOTHER SEEMS TO THINK ITS JUST BECAUSE IM GETTING OVER A CYCLE BUT THE PAIN IS THE SAME WITH OUT IT AND THE CRAMPS ADN PAIN ARE A THOUSAND TIMES WORSE WITH IT MY BOSS WANTS ME TO SEE A DR AGAIN BUT MY MOTHERS BEING A PAIN IN TEH *** ABOUT HOW ITS JUST BEAUCE OF A CYCLE.. ANYHELP?
I ALSO HAVNT EATTEN IN OVER A WEEK AND AT THE TIME WHEN I WENT TO TEH ER I WAS NAUSES AND SICK TO STOMACH BUT WASNT RUNNING A FEVER... WHERE NOW IM NOT HUNGRY AND SOMETHING JUST DOESNT FEEL RIGHT AND IT HURTS TO PRESS ADN LET GO OF LOWER RIGHT

Closed Thread