It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

LemC HB User
Is it safe for a girl to take birth control pills if her mother had breast cancer?

I have a friend who is interested in taking the pill to prevent pregnancy. She is 25 years old and is in very good health. However, her mother had breast cancer when she was 50. Thanks to chemo, her mother has since fully recovered and his now in good health (it was a rather mild case). Will a very low does pill like YAZ or Triphasil be safe for my friend? She'll probably only be using it for a few years.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Is it safe for a girl to take birth control pills if her mother had breast cancer

anytime there is a history of breast cancer, the doctor and patient have to talk about risks....there ARE risks to taking YAZ and any other birth control drug. I think its best to let your friend discuss this with a trusted GYN who can explain to her what those risks are.

My mother had breast cancer, and I was on the pill for many years- turned out to be a really bad idea for me; however I had other risk factors. Make sure your friend is going to get regular Mamograms (even though the general age factor is 40, she should start NOW with a mother who had breast cancer) and she talks to her doctor about all of this.

N

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
(male)

LemC HB User
Re: Is it safe for a girl to take birth control pills if her mother had breast cancer

Would a patch or ring be safer?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

As the other poster said, that needs to be discussed with her gyno. There are different kinds of breast cancer and the doctor will need all the details so that they can make an informed decision. And your friend needs to know that as well...and be tested for the gene if that is indicated.

Closed Thread