It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

SPORT46 HB User
Question Cystoscopy? Is it painful?

I have one scheduled on 1/29. Is this a painful procedure? or just uncomfortable? Please describe for me. I think they will give me local anes. Lidocaine? TIA!!!

I have very frequent urination especially noticable at night when i lay down, it is very frequent. No pain. Just the usual urinary bladder pressure feeling. I don't drink liquids after 7pm, no alcohol, no coffee after 9am.. No bacteria in urine, but there is hematuria.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Cystoscopy? Is it painful?

I wouldn't call it painful...it can be uncomfortable, especially when the cystoscope passes through the urinary sphincter, but once it's in, it's not all that uncomfortable any more.

So...a few seconds of discomfort, and that's about it. The entire exam only takes a few minutes.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

thank you Ruth, I appreciate your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
I wouldn't call it painful...it can be uncomfortable, especially when the cystoscope passes through the urinary sphincter, but once it's in, it's not all that uncomfortable any more.

So...a few seconds of discomfort, and that's about it. The entire exam only takes a few minutes.

Ruth

Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

ali2166 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT46 View Post
I have one scheduled on 1/29. Is this a painful procedure? or just uncomfortable? Please describe for me. I think they will give me local anes. Lidocaine? TIA!!!

I have very frequent urination especially noticable at night when i lay down, it is very frequent. No pain. Just the usual urinary bladder pressure feeling. I don't drink liquids after 7pm, no alcohol, no coffee after 9am.. No bacteria in urine, but there is hematuria.
hi have same symptoms as you and have had 2 cstoscopys with bladder hydroexpansion and ureathral dialatation the procedure was done under general anes as i refused to have a local and afterwards i was a bit sore but you really have to drink loads as the more you drink the less painful it is to pass urine .the doctors said that i would have to have this process repeated for the rest of my life about every 3 years as the problems do eventually come back i just wait until it is unbearable before returning good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

hi, what was the diagnosis? What is it called? I wonder if i have that. Did it help?

Last edited by SPORT46; 01-28-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
(female)

ali2166 HB User

no actual diagnosis was given.They said the bladder lining was inflamed but could find no reason for this as no infection was present .They also took biopsies which showed the same thing .And yes the procedure did help after about three weeks i noticed a big diference but about 3 years later the symptoms returned and i had to have it repeated and that was 2 years ago and now my symptoms have started to return so probably have to go back again .

Closed Thread