It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User
Spotting between periods, really scared, please help!

I'm 31 years old, I have never had a child (hoping to in the next two years)

I have a 26 day cycle. It has always been a regular period.

Four years ago I started light brown spotting. I tracked my cycles and found it always occured 10 days before my period came. It typically lasts 1-3 days and stops.

A few months I didn't have it and a few months it lasted all the way until I got my period.

I went to my gynocologist and he said since I was in good health the first thing to try was birth control. This stopped the spotting but made me too emotional so I stopped taking it and the next month the spotting was back. He said that I didn't need further testing because b/c ruled our a polyp/cancer etc.

I ended up having half of my thyroid out this summer because of a benign growth on it. This surgery seemed to change my spotting. Now it's more like every other month. My annual visit was last week and my Dr suggested a saline ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy. I'm so scared. I thought that if it was at the same time each month (around ovulation) and controlled with the pill it was hormononal.

Now I am afraid I have had cancer for four years and it has spread. I'm very, very nervous. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Would I have worsening symptoms if it was cancer? My appointment is next Friday but I have been so scared.

Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeh13 For This Useful Post:
DrHappy (07-15-2012)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
(female)

halfpint830 HB User
Re: Spotting between periods, really scared, please help!

hi just to let you know your symptoms sound alot like mine..i have the spottting 10 days before my period is due and its brown and i have had it now for about 5 years i was scared to death to go and get it checked out but i finally did..my doctor had me have the vaginal ultrasound done witch didn't show much so she did a biopsy on my uterous and it shows polyops on my uterus so i am scheduled for a d & c on friday..i honestly think you will have about the same turn out as i do since we have the same symptoms good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Whenever I've had spotting between periods (and while not on birth control), I have gotten the saline ultrasound, which showed polyps in the uterus. I've had the polypectomy/D&C done 4 times since 2006 to remove polyps, which keep growing back. It's actually no big deal. I've gotten so used to all of it that I don't even get surprised anymore when they tell me it's time to go in and remove them again.

You said the doctor ruled out polyps, but you didn't say that you got a saline ultrasound done. That's the only way they can know for sure. If you only had a regular ultrasound, or none at all, that's not going to tell the doctor anything. You need to get the saline ultrasound to know for sure. That's no big deal either. If I can do it (and I'm truly the biggest baby about this stuff) then you should have no problem. I've had those done each time to check for polyp regrowth and it's been clear each time that they are there.

The procedure to remove them is nothing, also. You go in, they stick an IV in you (for me that's the worst part), you fall asleep and remember nothing, next thing you know, they're waking you up and you're done. I'm serious, that's how it goes! There's a little cramping afterwards and you take it easy for a few days, no heavy lifting for 10 days and that's it. No big deal, trust me. I'm a total pro at this and I have no reason to believe your experience would be any worse than what I've gone through to get rid of polyps.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User

Hi, Thanks for the response! Did you have regular cycles, how long were they? Were you on birth control? Did it help?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
Whenever I've had spotting between periods (and while not on birth control), I have gotten the saline ultrasound, which showed polyps in the uterus. I've had the polypectomy/D&C done 4 times since 2006 to remove polyps, which keep growing back. It's actually no big deal. I've gotten so used to all of it that I don't even get surprised anymore when they tell me it's time to go in and remove them again.

You said the doctor ruled out polyps, but you didn't say that you got a saline ultrasound done. That's the only way they can know for sure. If you only had a regular ultrasound, or none at all, that's not going to tell the doctor anything. You need to get the saline ultrasound to know for sure. That's no big deal either. If I can do it (and I'm truly the biggest baby about this stuff) then you should have no problem. I've had those done each time to check for polyp regrowth and it's been clear each time that they are there.

The procedure to remove them is nothing, also. You go in, they stick an IV in you (for me that's the worst part), you fall asleep and remember nothing, next thing you know, they're waking you up and you're done. I'm serious, that's how it goes! There's a little cramping afterwards and you take it easy for a few days, no heavy lifting for 10 days and that's it. No big deal, trust me. I'm a total pro at this and I have no reason to believe your experience would be any worse than what I've gone through to get rid of polyps.
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. My first doctor told me that if birth control stopped the spotting (which it did) than it couldn't be caused by polyps because that wouldn't work. Have you heard this? Do you have spotting while on birth control?

I'm a big baby too, I had a four hour thyroidectomy this summer and when they put the IV in my arm my heart started beating so fast it set of the alarm....lol....the nurse couldn't get it to alarm turn off and ended up ripping it from the wall....it was actually really funny!

What should I expect the ultrasound to show? Does a polyp look like a growth on the u/s? How do they differentiate between a polyp and cancer? Did your spotting occur at the same time each month? Do they do the D&C at the hospital or Dr's office?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeh13 View Post
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. My first doctor told me that if birth control stopped the spotting (which it did) than it couldn't be caused by polyps because that wouldn't work. Have you heard this? Do you have spotting while on birth control?
That is true. The reasons for spotting while on birth control are different than when you're not. When you're on birth control, spotting is caused by the pill because the dose isn't high enough to regulate your hormones to prevent it. When you're not on the pill, spotting can be due to polyps. That's why I said whenever I'm not on the pill and have spotting, I know it's because of the polyps.

Quote:
I'm a big baby too, I had a four hour thyroidectomy this summer and when they put the IV in my arm my heart started beating so fast it set of the alarm....lol....the nurse couldn't get it to alarm turn off and ended up ripping it from the wall....it was actually really funny!
For me it's always the IV that is the scariest part of any surgery, followed by getting sick from anesthesia. So, what I do is tell them to put in the IV as soon as possible after I get to the hospital so I can stop worrying about it and then I'm not nervous. Once I go into pre-op and talk to the anesthesiologist, I tell them that I'd better not wake up puking my guts out from the anesthesia or else they're in big trouble, so they load me up with a ton of anti-nausea stuff and it works.

Quote:
What should I expect the ultrasound to show? Does a polyp look like a growth on the u/s? How do they differentiate between a polyp and cancer? Did your spotting occur at the same time each month? Do they do the D&C at the hospital or Dr's office?
The ultrasound will show the polyp. I have looked at the screen while they were doing it and I can't really tell what they're looking at so I can't tell you exactly what it looks like. It all just looks like black and white shadows to me and I have no idea when they're pointing it out.

They do a pathology test on the polyp after they remove it to check for cancerous cells. But if you're under 50 and pre-menopausal, your chances of a polyp being cancerous are very slim to none, so I wouldn't worry about it. I used to be scared but I'm 35 and I am hopefully nowhere near menopause, so I don't worry about that anymore.

I honestly don't remember if the spotting happened at the same time every month. Sometimes I wouldn't have spotting but I'd have extremely heavy bleeding at my period which would also lead me to believe a polyp had grown back and I was right. So, it just depends.

The D&C and polypectomy are done in the hospital as a day surgery. You go home the same day. It's rare that this type of procedure causes any complications so it's highly unlikely they would keep you overnight. It's one of the easiest procedures to do and you're in and out pretty quick. Although I was pretty surprised when I had my gall bladder out, I arrived at 6am at the hospital and they were kicking me out before noon! I was still coming out of the anesthesia at the time! I was like, what? But whatever. I slept the rest of the day.

Anyway, for this procedure, the anesthesia is just a twilight sleep where you're still breathing on your own but not aware of anything going on. You still fall asleep and wake up gradually in the recovery unit. But because it's such a mild anesthesia, you're literally feeling fine the next day. For me, when I've had general anesthesia with the tube down my throat, it takes me like 4 days to get back to normal because my body gets really traumatized from being put in such a deep sleep. That's why I like the twilight better because I bounce back a lot faster.

The last time I had this done, the only thing I felt during the surgery was kind of like a sensation of being rocked back and forth, like in a hammock. I didn't feel anything else, just that weird rocking feeling. I think it must have been when they were done and trying to put me back on the gurney or something. But other than that, I was fine.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User

Kszan - I apprciate all of the information you have given me, it really put my mind at ease. I've prayed for everything to come back normal, now I just have to be patient. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Closed Thread