It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
ruptured hemorrhagic ovarian cyst

I recently had surgery on my colon. 3 weeks after surgery I developed severe pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. Finally they did a CT scan that showed a hemorrhagic cyst on my ovary that had ruptured. I also had developed 2 cysts on my spleen. None of these were seen on a scan just one month earlier. I have still having a lot of pain. I was just released from the hospital. I was wondering if anyone has advice as to how long I should expect this to continue? The doctors said it would be painful because of the bleeding in the tissues. But I dont know how long to expect this and at what point I need to be concerned and go back to the doctor. It has been a week and still have just as bad as pain. Any advise would be grateful.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: ruptured hemorrhagic ovarian cyst

Hi Sam,

If the pain is not subsiding at all, I would give the surgeon a call, just to be on the safe side. Pain from surgery does take a while to go away but usually healing takes place on a curve and after a week, you should be feeling a difference. You don't want to have a pelvic infection or something that goes untreated. Give the surgeon a call ... it's his or her job to followup on patients.

Take good care and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Regards,

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

I have nothing related to my surgery. I had surgery on my colon and this has nothing to do with that surgery. I did not have surgery on the ruptured cyst. Sorry I guess that was a bit confusing. They say this should all go away without surgery. They said to expect pain because the bleeding went into my tissues, but they did not give me any indication as to how long to expect to feel this pain. Any clues

Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would call the doctor and let him or her know.

The problem may also be related to your surgery so do not discount this. Three weeks post surgery is not a long time. Does your attending surgeon for the colon surgery know of this recent development and your trip to the doctor ? It not, perhaps he should, just in case.

Also, CT scans are not the best tools for diagnosing and identifying ovarian cysts, the ultrasound is. You may wish to go back to the doc and request an ultrasound in order to confirm the first diagnosis.

In light of your persistent pain and your recent surgery, this would not be a bad idea.

Take care.

Estria

Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

yes my surgeon does know.. He was the one that admitted me to the hospital for presumed complications from my colon surgery. It wasnt until we did the CT scan that they were able to see the cyst. It was the Right ovary... so opposite side of body from where they did sigmoid colectomy. They said they were able to tell that the cyst had just recently burst. I will have to go back to my regular doctor as the surgeon doesnt want to have anything to do with this as it is obviously not related to his surgery. Unfortunately I have multiples problems that are fueling the pain and trying to figure out at what point it should have healed or if it just needs more time.. is getting hard to figure out. At this point I know they do NOT want to do any more imaging unless absolutely necessarily.. WHihc mean I play the waiting game.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

An update... still have no answers. So I am at a loss here. It has been 2 weeks since this cyst ruptured. I still have pretty bad pain. It hurts on my right side and into my right pelvis side. I was in the ER on saturday due to the pain and because I needed some IV fluids (stomach isnt working very well and cant keep myself hydrated - not a new problem should have nothing to do with what is going on). They did do another CT scan which shows that the fluid is resolving in my pelvis. They saw no new bleeding. They did not even see the cyst. The pain is in the same location that I had with the cyst pain. I am not sexually active. I am stooling normally (well constipated from pain meds but still stooling every day). This is totally opposite side that I had pain when things when wrong with my colon. The CT scan was essentially normal. I went to my doctor today who is sending me to a gyn doctor. My surgeon assures me this is nothing related to my colon surgery. Anyone have any ideas??? Dr said I shouldnt still be having this much pain from the cyst.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sam,

If what you had was a hemmorhagic cyst that ruptured, this means that it was blood that was released into the abdomen. Blood is much more painful than serous fluid and I have heard many ladies on these boards say that when a hemmorhagic ovarian cyst ruptured, they had to have surgery to "clean out" the blood. When a normal fluid filled cyst ruptures, the body can usually absorb the fluid and the pain goes away. However, when a hemmoraghic cyst bursts, it releases blood into the abdomen and I am not sure that the body can absorb this very quickly. This may be why you are in pain. I think that the referral to the gyne is an excellent idea. Just be sure to tell them everything, including the fact that you had surgery on your colon. This will help the doc to consider everything. For example, scar tissue can cause a lot of pain and if you had a cyst rupture event shortly after colon surgery, you may have scar tissue playing a part in this as well.

I hope your appointment is soon so that you can get some help with this quickly.

Estria

Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

I am pretty sure she is gonna SEE what happened to my colon when she sees the big HUGE scar on my belly (not that I am bit bitter about the scar or anything <wink>). The thing that gets me is the CT scan I just had shows that the blood is gone and there is only a tiny amount of fluid still in there. I did happen to finally start my period today so maybe that is it. Who knows.. we will see I guess

Closed Thread