It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

lpaquette HB User
Symptoms and Negative Result

Hey!
Im 20 years old, and i am approximately 5 days overdue for my period. I am getting some odd pains (more uncomfertable than painful) in my lower abdomain(somewhat in my groin area). I also have some uncomfertable lower back pain(again more uncomfortable than sharp and painful). Breast tenderness, i am also a little more sensitive to smells which gives me a nausea feeling. I am also a smoker, and when i smoke i also get a nausea feeling...:S I took a clearblue Pregnancy test this morning, and it came back negative...can anyone help me out...im so confused..

Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Symptoms and Negative Result

Well there is the possibility that the test is correct, in which case you may not be pregnant and you are experiencing a delayed cycle for some other reason. Or the other scenario of course is that you are pregnant and that you experienced a false negetive. Now for me, and I have been pregnant 4 times, The clear blue tests never showed up positive until a little later. Even the ones that say you can test up to 5 days early. And the digital tests were allways the last to show up positive for me. It all depends on how sensitive the test is and when you actually conceived. If you ovulate late in your cycle, then it is possible that you dont have quite enough hcg in your urine yet to show a positive. You can wait a couple days and retest, or go to the doctor and get a blood test, or if your like me, by 100 different tests and get ready to start peeing like crazy! lol. I can tell you that this past time I became pregnant, I started testing early and the test that showed a positive sign first was a 5 day early test from the dollar store. The next to show positive was one of the pink ones......I think first response....the 5 day early one. Then finally the clear blue tests showed positive. And guess what, I went to the doc after like 10 pos tests at home, they did two urine tests.....both were neg. So I went home, took a couple more tests and they were all pos. Even the digitals turned pos. Went back to the doc a week later and tested pos. What I learned is that all of the tests operate on a basic scale of sensetivity. But what the box says the sensitivity level is, is actually the LEAST sensitive that particular test will be. So you may actually purchase one that is even more sensitive. It's kind of accidental in nature and all comes from the manufacturing of the test, but very possible to get a more sensitive test just the same. For example, you could buy a package that contains 5 tests. They all come from the same company and are even contained in the same box. And lets say that the sensitivity is rated 25 mlU/mL. Now, the least sensetive that one of those tests will be is 25 mlU/mL, but one or more or even all of them may be even more sensitive for instance say 18 mlu/mL. So pee in a cup, and dip all of them in the same urine, and 3 show up neg, and two pos. Well the likelyhood of a false pos is far less then that of a false neg. Soooooooooo, this would allow you to conclude that the two pos tests were just more sensitive then the two neg tests and you are in fact preggers.

I hope that didnt confuse you. As a side not, it is a widely accepted theory that in fact, the cheapy dolloar store tests are more sensitive then their more expensive, store brand counterparts. So you might want to give that a try, or like I said, you can wait a while and just see what happens, or go to the doc and take a blood test. Best of luck to you!

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

lpaquette HB User

Thank You SOOOO much for that...ill have to take a run to the dollar store and give it a try. I was so confused, i usually never get any signs for my period other than cramping which is what made me start to think. so i will def. take ur advice. I called my doc. and they said to wait a week and if my period hadn't started to go back in for a blood test... a week seems long when your sitting in these shoes...i hate not knowing!.lol But again thank you greatly for your reply it was much appreciated!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

Well I hope you get the result you are looking for! I did want to add just one more thing. I have only ever missed my period a total of 6 times in my life. 4 of the times have been due to pregnancy. The other two times, I was not pregnant, just about 8 days late both times. It was a hormonal change the doc said, and I was told it is very normal, that most women will go through it at least once, and that everything will straighten back out on its own. I never did test positive on a pregnancy test either of those times, however i had lower back pain, light cramping, bloating, and nausea. It was really weird......all the signs were there. I was sure I was pregnant, but I wasnt. Then when my period finally did come, it was really light and didnt last but about 3 days which added to my anxiety. however, in the end, the following month, my cycle came on schedule, it was normal, and I of course was not pregnant. So this is also a possibility. Again....Good luck!
Melissa

Closed Thread