It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
(female)

mentalcompass HB User
Lorazepam (ativan) yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone. My period was due yesterday, I took about six pregnancy tests, the lines are so faint, they all show in the test time but they're so faint, I just can't determine if I'm right or not - all the tests did the same thing, except the first two last night were pretty obvious.

I am still unsure, I will wait.

HOWEVER, I'd be 3 weeks now. I take Ativan .5 mg three times a day, sometimes 2 times, depending on the severity of my panic attacks. I just found out it's a Class D drug.

I've taken it every single day.

Anyone know more about this than I do ? I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Traci

Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User
Re: Lorazepam (ativan) yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

False negatives are more common than false positives, especially as many as you showed as "positive", even faint lines. I would say you are pregnant.

Call your Dr. (the one who has you on Ativan) right now and tell him you believe you are pregnant and what should you do about your Ativan use until your OB/GYN confirms the pregnancy. They should be able to give you an alternative drug or better explain Ativan's potential impact, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

First of all, you are pregnant. ANY LINE, no matter how light, is conformation of pregnancy and if you have 6.....your pregnant. As far as the anti depresants, nobody here can tell you what to do. It's best to consult it with a doctor. However, I will tell you my experience with it. When I was a kid, I used to have a lot of nightmares, dont know why, it just happened. The lack of sleep led to crabby days so I went to the doc. to help find a solution. They figured I was probably depressed so they gave me a sleeping pill and paxil for the day. I was on it for about a year and then met my husband and became pregnant. When I first found out, I was very nervouse about the paxil so I went back to my doc. and told them I was going to discontinue. My doc WAS NOT supportive of this. She was very concerned the nightmares would return, I would be too stressed, have a lot of anxiety, and potentially harm the baby or myself. But I just felt like taking these drugs wasn't the right thing for me while pregnant. So I didnt. And I was just fine, and so was my baby. Now today, and this is almost 10 years later, look at all of the birthdefects, and health problems during pregnancy that paxil has been linked to. And my doc at the time told me it was perfectly safe. I remember they said the same thing about phen phen at one time. So you have to be careful, I think the doctors mean well, but I also believe that they do not have a crystal ball and they cannot allways predict what will be safe and what will not. Only you know your body and if you feel like being off of the medication is something that you can safely handle, then by all means give it a shot. But make sure you tell your loved ones so they can help keep an eye on you and warn you of any triggers. Also, the only thing that was a problem, and was a prob in my other two pregnancies as well, was post partum depression.......REALLY BAD! I didn't know what it was the first time, I just couldn't stop crying.......,for two months! And I had no motivation anymore to cook or clean. Somewhere in there Brooke Shields came out with her story and I had my big AHAH moment. So with my second, I told my o.b.. They wanted to give me a couple weeks afterward, just to see if I would go through the same, of course i did, so they put me on zoloft for 90 days. After the first 3 I felt better....not great....but better. After a week I was back to my old self. My third pregnancy, they started me on it 2 weeks before delivery and there was no problem what so ever. So after pregnancy, if you feel at all out of sorts, and it just doesn't seem to go away, make sure you tell somebody and get help. Other then that, I never did go back on med's. I ended up so tired after having children that the nightmares never returned......just blissful much needed sleep! Hope that helps you some.
Melissa

Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

Hi there,
First off try not to stress out.. Faint lines are still positives. I usually am on alprazolam for anxiety and celexa for depression but once I found out I was pregnant my Dr had me slowly get off of them so I wouldn't have any of the major freak outs as getting off them cold turkey. I have G.A.D. and O.C.D. and depression, yeah I'm a ball of fun fun fun off my meds, however I will tell you that so far that being off my meds has been challenging but with therapy and support I've done fine. My Dr. will be putting me on Zoloft at 34 weeks so that I can hopefully bypass the postpartum depression and still be able to breast feed. I still have anxiety/panic attacks but have found ways to cope with them until I can be medicated again. I think a good support group is key to being able to keep yourself "sane" during your pregnancy. My doctor did say if things get really bad then we would go back on the meds but so far so good. It's been a wacky roller coaster but I seem to stay on top of it and not let my crazy out too often.
I was on my meds til I was about 6 or 7 weeks.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

mentalcompass HB User

Thanks for the great feedback. I did a digital test (had to take the stupidity out of it) and it's positive. On Monday I'll call the doctor about my anxiety meds. I haven't taken them in two days now, I had a few close calls but talked myself back. For me, it's a weird rush of negative thoughts and worry, if I jump in the river, I'm in the river, if you know what I mean. If I can keep myself on shore, it passes for the moment, most of the time. Now i know I can't take the anxiety meds, I've tried hard these last two days not to "go there" in the my head. Maybe there's an alternative in case I do, I'd have to have a full-blown anxiety attack. But, I'd rather do this without anything for the anxiety. I had the baby blues after my daughter was born in 05, no one ever talked to me about this. In fact, I had no idea why I was so unhappy. This time around, I'll ask for assistance long ahead of the delivery. My daughter wasn't a healthy infant and we nearly lost her, that experience (as my only experience) heightens the value of a stress-free pregnancy this time around. I missed out on a lot. I think I can do this without the meds.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer me. I so appreciate that.

Closed Thread