It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
(female)

worriedtoo HB User
cysts on cervix

Hello ...

i went for my smear test last week and the nurse told me i have cysts / blisters on my cervix. SHe referred me to the doctor and he said they are just "follicles" and don't look inflamed or angry at all.

i have read up a bit about it online and found info on nabothian cysts which i guess is what they are from what the doctor said.

The only thing is i am now worrying again about my smear result...3 years ago my smear was normal. This time last year i had a borderline smear... 6months later i had another nhs smear and at the same time a private one (couldnt wait the time for the nhs results!) and they both came back normal.

i am just worrying now about these cists and i am winding myself up thinking that it is going to be a bad smear result because of the cists...got to wait 8-12weeks for the results (although last time they onlyactually took 6weeks).

The doctor said i might have had these cists a while but when they do the smear the nurse is not doing a thorough examination so they might not have been noticed at my last smears.However if they have happened in the last 6 months then surely the smear will detect changes and therefore have a negative result???

My mum was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 34 and died 18 months later.He mum also died young of cervical cancer so i guess i am just really worried about that too ( I am now 34).

just wondered if anyone has also been told they had these cists and then had prefectlly normal smears?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Re: cysts on cervix

I have had these cysts for years. Sometimes there are several, sometimes just one or two. They are simply formed when mucus glands on the cervix get plugged up, kind of like a pimple. They are completely harmless and benign and, unless there are tons of them, will not interfere with your pap. If they do interfere with the pap, they can be removed. No big deal, really.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
(female)

worriedtoo HB User
Re: cysts on cervix

thanks jrose1358 - thats reassuring to hear..i rand the lab yesterday to see if they can speed things up with the result at all and a very nice girl there checked and said i should have my results within a week! she said they can turn the results around much quicker now! so at least not too long to wait and hopefully it will all be ok.thanks for your reply x x x

Closed Thread