It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

mlynn123 HB User
Complex Ovarian Cyst

I'm 22 years old and was recently diagnosed with a complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary that measures 4x4X4 (?) that has "a lot of blood flow." I have always experienced "female issues"--painful and heavy periods, irregular periods even on the pill, etc. I had a benign breast tumor removed a little over a year ago. I've had cysts before but they were never "complex" and I never ended up following up on any of them. I also just had a colp. done and was diagnosed with mild dysplasia. I switched to the nuvaring a few months ago and have had no problems with it. I did both of these tests (colp and ultrasound) in the same appointment. When I called the doctor back the next day asking questions about the cyst he was short and basically acted like I was retarded for being concerned.

I have had urinary urgency for about 3 months now, along with severe lower back pain that comes and goes, and digestive issues including diarrhea, constipation, and heartburn. Sometimes I go literally 7-8 times a day and it is usually painful.

Could these symptoms be caused by the cyst? What does "a lot of blood flow" mean in a complex ovarian cyst?

I'm following up with another ultrasound in a few weeks, but would like any input I can get until then.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Complex Ovarian Cyst

Hi mlynn,

If you can, try to get a copy of the report and see exactly what it says. At the bottom of the report, it should give the doctor's impression of what you are dealing with.

I assume that if it said that the cyst had "a lot of blood flow" that you had an internal ultrasound with a doppler flow analysis. The doppler is supposed to be able to see if there is blood flowing to the cyst. I think it looks at the blood pressure both inside and outside of the cyst to see if there is any activity within the cyst. This test is controversial and will not necessarily be able to tell you if the cyst is dangerous or not (benign ovarian cysts can have blood flow too).

Is the cyst described at all ? Sometimes complex cysts can be hemmorrhagic (containing blood) or be seen as dermoid cysts (with hair and teeth inside). Some complex cysts do go away on their own and I assume this is why they want the followup ultrasound. If the cyst persists and if you keep experiencing symptoms, you may want to seriously consider having them removing it and getting a biopsy so that you can put your mind at rest.

Keep in mind that 90% of complex ovarian cysts are benign. I don't know if your doctor has mentioned the CA-125 test to you. This blood test looks for the amount of a specific cancer antigen present with ovarian cancer. Anything under 35 is considered normal. HOWEVER, this test can be notoriously inaccurate and sometimes shows elevated when no cancer is present. It also may miss early stage cancer. It is more accurate in post menopausal women and less accurate in pre menopausal women. You may want to ask your doctor what he thinks about this. I know my doctors wanted me to have this test when I had an 8 cm simple cyst (that was eventually removed with my ovary and tube). I was pretty nervous because I knew this test could screw me up mentally but I went ahead and I had a level of 6 (before my surgery they tested me again and it was 5). You will have to decide if you want this test and be ready for the results.

I hope I have managed to inform you further. Get a copy of the report and read the details on it. 4x4x4 is in cms and as far as cysts go, this is not a very large cyst so this is very encouraging. Don't let your doctor put you off, ask him what you need to ask him.

Here's hoping that your next ultrasound will show the cyst gone.

All the best.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

baiely HB User
Re: Complex Ovarian Cyst

I was diagnosed with a simple cyst and continued to do ultra sound. On June 24 I was told that that i now have a complext cyst. I am so miserable with pains, especially when I am close to getting my period. I ev en feel nausea, headaches bloating and pressure. I was even told that that uterus shifted to the right.

Closed Thread