It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

worriedtoo HB User
Unhappy 2 borderlines, family history of cervical cancer

I have just got my smear results back and they are borderline - again....

I am 34. When my mum was my age she was diagnosed with cervical cancer and 18 months later she died. Her mother also died of cerical cancer in her 30's.

Hence why am a bit paranoid about my results.... here is my history:

june 2007 - normal result
april 2009 - borderline
oct 2009 - normal (nhs)
oct 2009 - normal (private)
april 2010 - borderline

whislt the most recent smear was being carried out the nurse noticed cysts on my cervix (never been diagnosed before now) and referred me to a doctor who had a look and said they are just follicles and nothing to worry about - not inflamed or aggresive looking.

ggggrrr - was really hoping this one would be normal as we want to try for another baby.

now i have just got to wait another 6 months and who knows it might just keep swapping and changing. I am relieved in a way that at least it is still only borderline - even after a year and a normal smear in the middle of that year..

but it worries me so much what with the history in my family...

any similar experiences or infor would be much appreciated.....

Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: 2 borderlines, family history of cervical cancer

I have a couple of thoughts to share with you. One, cervical cancer doesn't run in families. It is caused by the HPV virus, so a close relative having it doesn't mean you would have it too unless you have been exposed to the virus. Two, if I were you and were having borderline results, I would get on a good vitamin regimen and try and boost your immunity. A lot of times your own body can fight off this virus and it can go away without any treatment. I would try and get myself very healthy, eat right, and take a really good multivitamin with some extra vit. C, E, D3.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
(female)

worriedtoo HB User

hi there - thanks for that... yes i will definately take your advice about the vitamins. funnily enough when i had the 1st borderline i was on antibiotics and just getting over a "staph a" infection. Then when i had the "normal" results i was feeling quite healthy... but this most recent borderline i have definately had nasal symptoms similar to those when i had the staph a. Do you think these sort of infections could affect the results.

i know what you are saying about cervical cancer not being hereditary, but for it to have affected both my mum and her mum i can't help but wonder if there is a chance it could be... or maybe being susceptible to hpv could be inherited?

anyway - thanks for the advice... i am now off to do my fitness video and take some vitamins!

thanks again - it is nice to hear someone elses thoughts x x x

Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Maybe having those infections are decreasing your bodies defenses and lowering your immunity.

Maybe there is a familial component in how strong your immune system is and maybe you've inherited an immune system that needs a little help in fighting this off.

One thing is for certain, be vigilant in what the doctor wants you to do and always go to your follow up appointments. I wouldn't want you or anyone reading this to think you can pop a few vitamins and not need to do your follow ups and tests as directed by your doctor.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

worriedtoo HB User

hi... bit of an update today... i have still been worrying about my results and spoke to my dr surgery and i am going to see a female gynae doctor in a couple of weeks for a 2nd opinion on the cysts and because of family history and 2 borderlines in 12 months i may be able to be referred for a colposcopy. this is good news for me as i am hoping it will really put my mind at ease and allow us to start trying for another baby. If they do discover anything then i have been right to worry and they would be able to treat anything earlier than had i just waited for the next smear... In the meantime i am trying to get fit, lose weight and be healthy which is great preparation for trying to have a baby anyway. let's see what happens....

Old 04-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Good luck with everthing! I had several abnormal paps, a subsequent biopsy, colpo, and ended up with cryosurgery. This is what prompted me to have another baby. My oldest son was 11 and it scared me thinking I might not have another chance, so after all those things were over, I got pregnant and had my last son. That was 13 years ago and I haven't had another abnormal pap since then. I hope everything works out for you!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
(female)

worriedtoo HB User

ah what a positive story - i am so pleased for you... i can't wait to have another baby and it does get you thinking when there is the idea that there might be something wrong. I am 34 and half at the moment and i am really looking forward to having another one (or even 2!) children. I want to be absolutely sure that eveything is ok or be assured that it is fine to go ahead and try so i am really hoping this dr will be able to do that. From reading about other peoples experiences of borderline / normals then it could go on for some years before i get 3 normals in row... si it would be really nice to be able to start trying now! It is great to hear such positive stories as yours though... gives me confidence that if they do find anything wrong it can be fixed... it is just so hard after what happened to my mum, and her mum... but i keep telling myself that was a long time ago and they didn't have the technology they do these days (she died 21 years ago). so anyway i will let you know how i get on - the appointment is in a couple of weeks. take care and thanks for your messages x x x x

Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
(female)

worriedtoo HB User

just a quick update - went to see my doctor today and she was fantastic... due to family history and also beacuse of my worrying about the borderline results and cysts she is referring me for a colposcopy - she said that they might actually say no and decline a colposcopy, but that if they do then that would be a good indication (from the experts)that there is time to have a baby before anything else could develop...

if they agree to do the colp then they will either be able to say 100% it is ok go ahead to have baby or they would be able to do immediate treatment (although doc said she very much doubts there will be anything to treat).

The doc also gave a 2nd opinion on the cysts on my cervix and said they are completely normal, as well as an abdominal and pelvic examination where she said everything seemed completely normal (my choice for her to do this - she offered and so i accepted!)

So this is great news for me - the doctors have been fab and i am so pleased i rang them and asked to discuss it with a doctor - now i will either be treated much sooner than had i waited for the next smear... OR i will be given a consultants "go ahead" to try for another baby! yipee! am also cutting out alcohol and taking vitamins, as well as eating really healthily - the doctor said that low immune / infections can also be a contributing factor to abnormal smear results.

oh well just thought i would share that with you all - DEFO worth following up with your doctors and asking their advice about concerns you have. They were also able to advise me today that my smear results showed no sign of HPV virus, and that it was only "some" of the cells which were borderline (not all of them) - which has eased my mind a bit too.... i never would have found this out if i hadn't rung them back after getting my results and asking if there was someone i could talk to x x x

Closed Thread