It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
(male)

Mentor9 HB User
Ladies Sport's Issue.

Hello,

I will start by just giving you a short overview of the issue i am facing.
I coach a ladies sports team(under 16's) and recently i have been approached by a parent stating that girls should not been sitting on the floor while doing stretches. (Floor being Grass in this case)
Apparently this can effect their hormones or cause complications in the future for them....

Forgive me if i am wrong but that did not sound right to me, so i did not respond to this as i did not know the true answer.

Anyone out there with advice on this please??
I have never heard this in my 5 years of training females and am quite upset with it.

Last edited by Mentor9; 04-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User
Re: Ladies Sport's Issue.

How exactly is the ground going to effect their hormones? The idea of that is ludicrous. I would ignore the parent or advise them to speak to a endocrinologist who would be very qualified to explain to them exactly why even the idea of that is absurd.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
(male)

Mentor9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak77 View Post
How exactly is the ground going to effect their hormones? The idea of that is ludicrous. I would ignore the parent or advise them to speak to a endocrinologist who would be very qualified to explain to them exactly why even the idea of that is absurd.
I have no idea that is why i posted here to find out or get some ammo to answer back with.
Being a coach i get a lot of parents come up to me to add give me their "wisdom/knowledge", most cases it is around the sport so i can answer back.
This one got me off guard so i thought i should get some help...
Is there any Doctors on this forum which can clarify and explain this for me...?
Really gets annoying....

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Sounds like a 'green' illness ... I've never heard of sitting in the grass affecting hormones, unless there has recently been a lot of herbicide or pesticide spread on that lawn. I am just grasping for a reason the parent would be so high maintenance over this - unless they have a bonified medical reason.
Enlighten us if you can, if they share their reasons for the non-grass warmups - Asphalt is lot harsher and produces more blisters, etc than good old cool grass.
Rose

Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
(male)

Mentor9 HB User

Will do...
Just trying to work out a way i could approach this and really shut him up...
If only i can find a write up on this topic some how, but i am sure that nobody would have ever ask this ridiculous question before...
Suggestions???

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
(male)

Mentor9 HB User

Ok a little correction...
The above statement is more based on cold grass causing ladies to have worse period cramps/pain etc...
???

Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

Just tell them thanks for the tip, you'll take it under advisement and then don't do anything differently.

It's preposterous and I've never heard of anything about this. I think some parents are way, Way too overprotective of their kids and will find anything to hassle the teachers about.

Just blow it off. You're the teacher, who cares what they say? They don't have any say in whether you have them warm up on the grass or on the gym floor?!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Well then - if cold grass is the problem - then so is airconditioning - It is okay to have a little discomfort - and there is always pamprin for the pain. There will never be a perfect outdoor sport for gals with their monthlies ... It is part of the whole package I am afraid.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Why don't you just politely ask the parent exactly what they are talking about and ask them for more information on the subject. If they can't produce any credible information to back up this ludicrous idea, then I would just dismiss it.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
(female)

jojo647 HB User

This sounds like a myth to me!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-22-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Closed Thread