It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

Janna125 HB User
vaginal issues....please help!!!

My problem started over 2 months ago. I got several sore bumps on my vulva area that formed a head and crusted over. I also felt itchy down there. This happened at a time I was under a great deal of stress as I was planning on taking my daughter and leaving my alcoholic husband. I was not eating or sleeping well. I've been married 13 years and my husband and I have rarely had sex the past 5 years. I don't believe I have an STD and I was tested for herpes which was neg. My Dr. recommended A&D ointment. The time I saw my Dr. I was also tested for yeast which was also neg. The ointment helped but I had to keep applying it, or the irritation would come back. I also started a sexual relationship with my old college sweetheart. I noticed that sex did irritate the already frail skin on my vulva, but otherwise, no problems with intimacy. Then a couple weeks ago I started having itching inside my vagina and the white, lumpy discharge which comes with yeast. This time I self treated with Monostat and those symptoms cleared. However, my vulva then turned bright red and itched more. I tried Femmesil cream which really did help my vulva and I've done a dose of Diflucan.

Here's where I'm at now. My symptoms have improved, but I am so focused on that area. I am constantly looking down there, wondering if things are normal. I still feel a little itch sometimes and now I think the skin around my anus is a little irritated. I don't know if the skin on my vulva is normal. It looks a little dark sometimes, but I never noticed what it looked like before all this. I feel very stressed about lots of things in my life: divorce, finances, medical insurance, and a new relationship which I don't want this to ruin! I also may be getting close to menopause. I'm 46, my face is breaking out, I have headaches and I'm crying all the time. I'm obsessed with reading these boards trying to figure out what is wrong with me! I really hope someone answers because I have posted on other boards and gotten very little response. I really feel I am going insane!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: vaginal issues....please help!!!

Oh, I am SOOO sorry you are going through all of this. Sometimes life throws you for a major loop and all hell breaks out emotionally and physically. I sympathize with you.
I had the same issues that you are describing. Even if it doesn't test positive for yeast, I truly believe that it could in fact be that. A swab will test negative if it's on the outside of your body. That was MY own case!

I have been prescribed four different lotions (and potions, ha!) to get rid the stuff I had recently. I swear I felt like such a head case constantly going in and out of the gyno's office. (What must they think of me??? Yeah, those were my thoughts).

Things to try:
*Change your laundry detergent to something gentle like All Free & Clear (even if you don't think it's that). Change your soap to Dove Unscented. I was stupid and using Dial which is an antibacterial soap. It only aggrivated the area more!
*Go panty-less whenever you can. No one will know but you if you do it descreetly of course.
*If it's tight, DON'T wear it!
*Only cotton underwear.
*Be careful about how you bathe - not too frequently and avoid soap directly to the vulva. When drying, use a hair dryer to absorb any extra moisture.
*Try apple cider vinegar or baking soda in a tub.
*DO NOT touch the area if you can help it. Everytime you look at it (spreading yourself open to examine it, like I did) or scratch it, it has to heal all over again. My gynocologist stressed this to the max.
*Find a good cream that works and keep going back until you get it fixed. Don't let anyone make you think it's in your head, because you know what's normal and what's not.
*Eat plain yogurt or take an acidophilus supplument daily.

It sounds like a thrush to me. I would imagine that they tested you for things like this and bacteral vaginosis, but sometimes the little buggers will still remain. I took 2 diflucans before testing POSITIVE for yeast! The damn pills did nothing for me!
The thing that has worked best for me is nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream. I believe it's an antifungal and cortisone. Helped tremendously! There is another lotion called Clindesse that helped me once before 3 years ago.
Remember that it sometimes takes trial and error, but you will NOT be like this forever! Think of anything and everything that could be affecting it and modify as needed (new condoms, different lubrications used in sex, boyfriend's soap/cologne, etc).

Good luck and don't let it consume you!!!

Last edited by LauraLu; 05-10-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
(female)

Janna125 HB User

Thank you so much, LauraLu! It is reassuring to know other women have experienced this. I feel very alone. I have tried many of your suggestions. I will try to stop looking at it alla the time. I really hadn't thought about a yeast testing neg when it is on the outside! That makes a lot of sense! I have seen some improvment, but it is still haunting me. Your encouraging words have helped!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

Janna125 HB User

Now it seems the nasty bugs or whatever it is, has traveled further back to the anal area and in between vagina and anus. I still feel so irritated! I had sex today too which probably didn't help the skin, but was enjoyable at the time I can't see my gyno till next week! Will it ever end??

Old 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting information for you: As you know, I have been going through the same thing. I was in last week for yet another appt. My doc. did a swap and cultured it. Well, she called this evening and told me I had Group B Strep. It's good that I know this b/c I am 6 weeks pregnant. She's putting me on Amoxicillan.
Anyway, I'm STILL itchy and burning. I looked up Group B Strep, but there is really no information about non-pregnant woman and it's usually symptom free. Perhaps it's just a build-up of bacteria? I really don't know. I'd like it to be GONE!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
(female)

Janna125 HB User

That is interesting. It's a good thing you found out since you are pregnant! Everything I have read about strep B or any bacterial infection in the vagina talks about smelly discharge. I have had none of that. The only discharge I had was the white yeasty stuff, which is now gone. My main symptoms have been red, itchy skin on vulva and surrounding area. I haven't gotten one of those nasty bumps in a couple weeks, but I keep worrying about them!! I hope we both get some help!! At least you got a diagnosis and some treatment for it. Let me know how it works!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't have any discharge. I do have the EXACT same symptoms as you. My vulva is bright red and itchy itchy itchy. I'm so done with this. I went out last night and got my prescription for amoxicillian (sp?) and bought acidophilus to take in between doses. I DREAD getting a yeast infection.

Closed Thread