It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
(female)

katiewilkinson HB User
fibroids !!! Help !!!

Hello everyone,
I have just joined the board as I have just been told I have fibroids and would like to chat to someone .

I am 53 and when I started having heavy periods I just thought it was the start of the menopause but a scan found quite a lot of fibroids. None are large.
I see the consultant on the 24th may so will know more about the size and were they are after then. Also what treatment I will receive but from what I have read on the internet,fibroids shrink after the menopause so I think he will say we will' just watch and wait '. I just wondered what other women who have had fibroids have experienced.
I can think of nothing else only these tumors growing inside me and it is driving me mad.
Hope to hear your stories and if anyone can give me some advice on how I am going to come to terms with my " little unwanted residents " I would be ever so grateful
regards Katie

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
(female)

mamof1 HB User
Re: fibroids !!! Help !!!

Hi I am new to this site and just happened to send first post when I saw this. I am 30 and had fibroids diagnosed last year by ultrasound. I have two small ones, main symptoms heavy periods, but Ive had those since I was 18 so I reckon theyve always been there. Anyway they are completely harmless and quite common. A large number of women have them and don't know it. They will NOT turn cancerous. I decided not to have mine treated as this could have affect fertility. They are just a pain in the bum really. Dont be worried about them, they only cause major problems if they grow very large(highly unlikely) and press on bladder etc. They do UFE procedure here in Ireland anyway, they sort of cauterize the stalk, minimally invasive. But there are lots of options if they are bothering you.
Best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
(female)

katiewilkinson HB User
Re: fibroids !!! Help !!!

Thank you for your reply.
I am not exactly worried,I just feel stressed having found them. I think part of the problem is I thought my periods would stop soon or at least get lighter and instead they have got heavier and are very painful.
I will probably feel better after I have seen the consultant . We have just moved house and I know no one here, so I have no one to talk to.
Thank you again for your reply.
Katie

Closed Thread