It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

mamof1 HB User
Abnormal smear doctor unhelpful

Hi everyone I am new to this site,first post. I just wanted to get anyone's opinion on what is happening to me. I received a call from my doctor last week to tell me I got abnormal smear. Im only 30 so was shocked, too shocked in fact to ask any rational questions. She simply said I was in the middle category and my results were faxed off to the rotunda and I am to await apt-4-6 wks for colposcopy. I just cried for an hour convinced I had cancer looked up life insurance policy, have 3yr old child, petrified beyond words. The following day I made the decision to book an apt with GP to ask questions and see if she could put my mind at ease. Receptionist said I can fit you in 2moro morning, I said great I just wanted to have a chat about my results(big mistake). So I dropped dd to creche next morning was going to have quick shower and head up to gp, only to come home and find 3 missed calls on my phone. I had a voicemail...from the receptionist "hello there just ringing about cancelling your apt, as doctor *** has faxed off your results and she has nothing more to add". That was it, they 'decided' to cancel my apt. I was so upset all over again I mean big heaving sobs I thought gp was first port of call for anxieties and questions. Obviously I was wrong. I am so terribly upset by docs behaviour Im unsure what to do next. I picked up my referral leter and smear result as I booked a private apt, I couldnt bear waiting 4-6wks in complete terror. So I said to the receptionist in a very shaky voice, sooooo upset, "I think it was a bit insensitive to cancel my apt by voicemail, I have valid concerns that were dismissed so readily and I am upset" she replied "oh well I'll see if she has a few minutes to spare now for a quick chat? My sadness turned to anger at this point and I said"no it's fine I will ask Gynae any questions next week" and walked out bawling. I am so not a confrontational person I really tend to let things go, but this really got to me. I trusted in my gp and she shooed me away like some naughty child. I have had nothing to go on but info on the internet, some good ,some bad. I really am so saddened I can't sleep/eat etc. I want to make her pay, not in money but to see what her casual dismissal has done to me. Ive lost 4lbs, I only weighed just 9 to begin with. I would really appreciate anyone's advice/support. Anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Re: Abnormal smear doctor unhelpful

I am so sorry your doctor treated you like that. It is so frustrating and upsetting when you are anxious and worried. I have experience with abnormal paps and understand how anxious an abnormal result can make you - especially the first time it happens. I remember how upset I was when, after years of normal paps, suddenly my Pap came back with high grade abnormal cells. I too had to wait 3 weeks until the Gyno got back from vacation because getting into another one would have taken much longer. I want to encourage you to remain calm. Most abnormal cells of the cervix are caught while they are still a very long way from being cancer and can be very successfully treated. Waiting a few weeks will not matter, even though the wait is hard, because these cells typically progress very, very slowly. I had a colposcopy which confirmed CINIII severe dyplasia and I had a leep procedure which excised all the abnormal cells. It has been 7 years and I have never had a return of the dysplasia. It sounds like yours is not in the severe category and so a few weeks of waiting is not going to do you any harm. Since my procedure, I have had several abnormal Paps - mostly ASCUS. In all cases I have waited 6 months, repeated the Pap and it has always come back normal. Right now I am dealing with endometrial cells on my pap but that is a different story. An abnormal Pap is nothing to panic about. If you can't get in for your colpo sooner then I encourage you to try to stay as busy and relaxed as possible and you will be having your colposcopy before you know it. Please feel free to talk any time you need to.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

kosm HB User

First of all, calm down, and remember that an abnormal smear doesn't mean you have cancer. I know it is scary though! I am going through the same thing. Your doctor is being pretty insensitive. They should have explained some things to you. That is just wrong. What you want to do is find out specifically what the abnormality is. Sounds like LSIL. She said middle category? Call back and ask her for the pathology report to be sent to your house. That will give you manymore answers. Middle category likely means possible low-grade lesions, which can regress, have a benign cause or, in the worse case can be pre-malignant. Even if it is pre-malignant, it is sooo easily treated, with a cure rate of almost 100%. You really won't know more until you get the colposcopy though. I have had many friends with abnormal smears that were middle category and the biopsy came back benign!!! However, it could possibly be something more serious and if it is, it is easily treated. The most important thing to do is calm down, find out EXACTLY what the pathology report says. There are sooo many types of abnormalities. Then, get the colposcopy, then CHANGE DOCTORS!!! That is downright rude of them to not even tell you anything. Doctors should be much more attentive, especially with this stuff.
Many women have abnormal smears and the colposcopy is normal protocol. I know it isn't easy to not worry, but please try to ease your mind a bit. Have you been getting regular smears up to this point? If so, it is likely that even if this is something bad, it just started and like I said, can be easily treated. Let us know how things go!!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
(female)

mamof1 HB User

Hi girls thank you both for replies. Yeah I have had normal 2 year smears so far. I have calmed down a little bit and managed to focus my anger/anxiety into doing something pro-active. I have been in contact with the screening programme and they agree that my treatment was wholly unacceptable. I am lodging a complaint through them against my doctor. I have to find a new one now as well all because she couldn't give me a few minutes of her precious time. I am gutted. Anyway I have colp 2moro trying to be positive, I have found alot of good success stories and it does seem as if most of what they might find would be treatable. Jrose your stiry is very encouraging as I do in fact have HSIL, severe dysphlasia. God if it wasn't for ordinary women posting their stories I would have been lost in a sea of scary research articles, so thanks again, I will post and let you know how goes it

Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
(female)

kosm HB User

So glad you calmed down, and glad you lodged a complaint! IMy doctor is always the one who calls me with any result. He spent 27 minutes on the phone with me last week discussing everything with me. He is awesome and I think all doctors should be that way if that is possible, or at least try. Just to let you know, I had HSIL about 3 years ago. It scared me to death as well. When they did the biopsies it came back as CIN 1, and then regressed to Atypical. However, I do have glandular abnormalities now that I need to deal with. Yes, HSIL is scary at first, but you have had 2 years of clean paps and that is really good!!!!! I haven't had a normal pap in 3 whole years!!!! Good luck and yes, please let us know what happens.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamof1 View Post
Hi girls thank you both for replies. Yeah I have had normal 2 year smears so far. I have calmed down a little bit and managed to focus my anger/anxiety into doing something pro-active. I have been in contact with the screening programme and they agree that my treatment was wholly unacceptable. I am lodging a complaint through them against my doctor. I have to find a new one now as well all because she couldn't give me a few minutes of her precious time. I am gutted. Anyway I have colp 2moro trying to be positive, I have found alot of good success stories and it does seem as if most of what they might find would be treatable. Jrose your stiry is very encouraging as I do in fact have HSIL, severe dysphlasia. God if it wasn't for ordinary women posting their stories I would have been lost in a sea of scary research articles, so thanks again, I will post and let you know how goes it
I'm so glad you were able to get the colposcopy sooner and am glad you will be switching doctors. Good for you! I really think sometimes these issues with doctors happen for a reason and we end up where we are supposed to be. The same thing happened with me recently trying to deal with my own issues and I ended up at a gyno with tons of experience who specializes in my exact problem. Please let me know how everything went and what you find out. Been there, done that and we'll get you through it!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

mamof1 HB User

hey girls,

had colposcopy today. Consultant was soooo nice, really sympathetic and helpful. I asked him loads before he did it (mostly re: TTC after any treatment) he said dont worry at all doesnt affect fertility unless in the unlikely event I needed several Lletz or cone biopsy. So he was really gentle explained everything he was doing. Said cervix looked normal just two small abnormal areas showed up with stain. He is going to Lletz or Loop(same thing depending on where you are I think) this on Mon so fast! He told me get the word cancer out of my head he reassured me that as a oncolgy Gynae he has seen it all and there is absolutely no evidence of cancer. He said most likely a virus didnt clear from my system. I am so relieved I cant put into words. Going from "how long have I got?" to this is amazing. All my stupid doctor's fault she could easily have told me at least some of what he said.
Anyway thanks so much for support. Im sure Ill be posting again about how LLetz goes and when I get that normal smear Im heading straight for babyville please god xx

Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
hey girls,

had colposcopy today. Consultant was soooo nice, really sympathetic and helpful. I asked him loads before he did it (mostly re: TTC after any treatment) he said dont worry at all doesnt affect fertility unless in the unlikely event I needed several Lletz or cone biopsy. So he was really gentle explained everything he was doing. Said cervix looked normal just two small abnormal areas showed up with stain. He is going to Lletz or Loop(same thing depending on where you are I think) this on Mon so fast! He told me get the word cancer out of my head he reassured me that as a oncolgy Gynae he has seen it all and there is absolutely no evidence of cancer. He said most likely a virus didnt clear from my system. I am so relieved I cant put into words. Going from "how long have I got?" to this is amazing. All my stupid doctor's fault she could easily have told me at least some of what he said.
Anyway thanks so much for support. Im sure Ill be posting again about how LLetz goes and when I get that normal smear Im heading straight for babyville please god xx
Yea! I'm so glad for you. It sounds like you found a wonderful doctor to perform the Colposcopy and to give you the facts straight. I will be thinking about you on Monday when you have your leep. Will they do it in the office or outpatient? Mine was in the office and it really wasn't a bad experience at all. I healed very quickly. My gyno says you can't even tell from looking at my cervix that I ever had a leep. You will be healed and on your way to babyland very soon. Blessings

Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
(female)

mamof1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose1358 View Post
Yea! I'm so glad for you. It sounds like you found a wonderful doctor to perform the Colposcopy and to give you the facts straight. I will be thinking about you on Monday when you have your leep. Will they do it in the office or outpatient? Mine was in the office and it really wasn't a bad experience at all. I healed very quickly. My gyno says you can't even tell from looking at my cervix that I ever had a leep. You will be healed and on your way to babyland very soon. Blessings
yeah he really was great, he was chatting away about his kids and his holidays like "no biggie I do this everyday!" He told me we could start TTC in 6 wks! I was like ,"well I was thinking more along the lines of the end of the year" With 3yr old, work, psycholgy degree(nearly completed) oh the irony!!! I will make it my business to do some research into the psychological effects of having a crap doctor give you bad news..lol. Having it done as outpatient in private hosp, cos he said he didnt have any back up in his office in case of anything-bleeding alot and that.Thats great Jrose I thought Id have a big old hole in my cervix forever. Thanks so much for support, Im not even nervous he was so reassuring. I hope to be posting great results from next colp/smear soon! I read up a bit on helping yourself get a normal smear and Im going to give up cigs(sooo bold) , take vits A,B,C, magnesium, folic acid. I also decided to stop taking the pill. I don't know if it has anything to do with this but Im taking it four months for heavy periods and its given me nothing but trouble-bleeding between periods, moods, etc. I can deal with the heavy periods, it was more for conveniance. I just thought because it kind of mimics pregnancy in your body, and you are way more likely to get abnormal smear while pregnant(cells just shifting themselves around) I don't know I guess they cant say for sure, it just sort of makes sense to me and my smears were all normal while off pill...hmmm. Thanks again for thinking of me. will post, post-lletz

Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
(female)

mamof1 HB User

Hi girls, and to anyone going to have lletz treatment. I had mine done today. I was a little anxious just before the procedure but I had a really lovely nurse who had it done herself. She put me at ease and went through everything the doc was going to do. She said there is some adrenalin in the local anaesthetic so I would feel my heart race for a minute or two and my legs would go shaky. This is exactly what happened, so glad she told me, as it felt very strange, but passed quickly. I didnt feel any pain at all just some pressure like with a smear. I asked to have a look at the bit he took off (too gross for some I know) but I was curious. It was teeny weeny he said around .7cm. He assured me I had plenty of cervix left for a normal pregnancy. It was all over in 15 mins. No immediate bleeding, slight discharge since, the nurse said to expect small bleeding for a week or two. Otherwise I feel fine. I got worked up over nothing, but such is our nature. I will get the results of the lletz(sent off to pathology to make sure they got everything) in around a week or 10 days. Fingers crossed all will be fine. I swear since I have said Im having this I have heard more women say "oh yeah I had that" and I never knew. Its reassuring to hear so many mention it as a 'thing in their past, no problems since'. Its great that this thing is so treatable with regular screening, almost 100% apparently. Good luck to anyone having this done and try not to worry, my doc was like " Think of it as treating a strange looking mole on the skin-better safe than sorry, doesn't mean you were going to or ever will get cancer".
Ill update when I get results, fingers crossed for me girls

Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Hi girls, and to anyone going to have lletz treatment. I had mine done today. I was a little anxious just before the procedure but I had a really lovely nurse who had it done herself. She put me at ease and went through everything the doc was going to do. She said there is some adrenalin in the local anaesthetic so I would feel my heart race for a minute or two and my legs would go shaky. This is exactly what happened, so glad she told me, as it felt very strange, but passed quickly. I didnt feel any pain at all just some pressure like with a smear. I asked to have a look at the bit he took off (too gross for some I know) but I was curious. It was teeny weeny he said around .7cm. He assured me I had plenty of cervix left for a normal pregnancy. It was all over in 15 mins. No immediate bleeding, slight discharge since, the nurse said to expect small bleeding for a week or two. Otherwise I feel fine. I got worked up over nothing, but such is our nature. I will get the results of the lletz(sent off to pathology to make sure they got everything) in around a week or 10 days. Fingers crossed all will be fine. I swear since I have said Im having this I have heard more women say "oh yeah I had that" and I never knew. Its reassuring to hear so many mention it as a 'thing in their past, no problems since'. Its great that this thing is so treatable with regular screening, almost 100% apparently. Good luck to anyone having this done and try not to worry, my doc was like " Think of it as treating a strange looking mole on the skin-better safe than sorry, doesn't mean you were going to or ever will get cancer".
Ill update when I get results, fingers crossed for me girls
Yea! You're done! I have been thinking about you today. I had the exact same reaction to the anesthetic with the shaking legs and everything. You were brave to actually look at the part he removed. Good for you. I think I had some spotting for a week and then a watery discharge for several weeks which was entirely normal. I'm sure you will get a good report and you will be on your way! Hoooray! Please let us know how the results come out and then let us know again when you get preggers

Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
(female)

mamof1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose1358 View Post
Yea! You're done! I have been thinking about you today. I had the exact same reaction to the anesthetic with the shaking legs and everything. You were brave to actually look at the part he removed. Good for you. I think I had some spotting for a week and then a watery discharge for several weeks which was entirely normal. I'm sure you will get a good report and you will be on your way! Hoooray! Please let us know how the results come out and then let us know again when you get preggers
Thanks you are so good thinking of me Ill definitely post again with results- it'll be the longest drawn out post ever lol. I am broody mcbrood right now (not this actual moment!) just in general since the idea entered my head that my fertility could ever be at risk, took it for granted. So foolish really I guess someone up there is giving me a kick up the bum and telling me to take care of myself and be thankful for what I have. Oh hindsight is 20:20...Take care, keep ya posted

Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Thanks you are so good thinking of me Ill definitely post again with results- it'll be the longest drawn out post ever lol. I am broody mcbrood right now (not this actual moment!) just in general since the idea entered my head that my fertility could ever be at risk, took it for granted. So foolish really I guess someone up there is giving me a kick up the bum and telling me to take care of myself and be thankful for what I have. Oh hindsight is 20:20...Take care, keep ya posted
If I had a dollar for every hindsight experience I've ever had I would be typing this from my beachfront house in Bermuda. (Regret looks back, fear looks forward, faith looks up). You are a gem right here right now!

Closed Thread