It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

FitChic HB User
Low estrogen

I am a 26 year old female – that as of the 2 years ago have had basically zero sexual desire and probably about 4 periods in 2 years…..I finally told my obgyn the truth and went for blood testing – he said I have very low levels of estrogen – basically due to excessive exercise and low body fat and weight -- he recommend putting on about 10 lbs and going on birth control

I basically am just looking for support and guidance from other young females who suffer from this and how they are dealing.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
(female)

kriss79 HB User
Re: Low estrogen

Hun, if your estrogen is low solely due to "excessive exercise" and the resulting low weight, you might have more issues than just what you've stated.

I worry that you might have some type of body image disorder if you're in this condition. Has your doctor mentioned seeing a counselor or psychiatrist?

Are you "fit" or perhaps overdoing it? What is your height and weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Re: Low estrogen

Hi FitChic. If you are too thin and working out to the point where your periods stop, I don't think you can call yourself "fit". Fitness comes when you are supporting all of your body functions in a whole, healthy, balanced manner. I can say this because I have been in your shoes. Up until about your age I was ultra concerned with being thin and it drove me to eat very "carefully" and to workout all the time. At your age I was approximately 5 feet 8 inches and thought that 120 pounds was too much. I went for 4 years without a period. I definitely had body image issues and a borderline eating disorder. Thankfully I wised up after I got married. In order to have children, I had to have periods. That's when I started eating and exercising right and my life came back into balance and my periods came back and I did go on to have 2 children and a very happy life. Now I am 52, 5 feel 7 and a half inches and 146 pounds. I still workout all the time but, weight-wise, I think I look great! Not saying that you are unhappy, but perhaps a bit unhealthy.

Closed Thread