It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

didi30 HB User
can pregnancy cause hypothyroid?

I had my first pregnancy 6 years years ago and started to get really severe migranes I had severe anemia. Also had constipation. After I had my daughter my anemia went but was still left with the migranes. Doctors couldn't give me a diagnosis as to why and put it down to "one of those things". I had my second child 3 years ago and during that pregnancy I again had severe anemia which again went after I gave birth. Also whilst pregnant I began to suffer with terrible pains in my legs my skin was extremely dry and had very bad fatigue. Which obviously was put down to pregnancy. All other test came back as normal.
After my son was born I became depressed especially when I was unable to produce any breast milk for him, started with very heavy periods and my headaches and body pains continued. My doctor treated me for my depression and for the bleeding which did get better. My bloods then showed that I was borderline hypothyroid and was told that they would just keep an eye on it. Every few months I went back for more bloods and was told that it was all getting better. ( I don't know what the levels were just that I didn't need any medication).
However the last few months My health really went down hill and I had more bloods done to find out that my T4 had dropped to 1.7 and my tsh had gone up to 100+. Needless to say that I ended up in hospital so they could sort me out.
After researching hypothyroid I have realised that I have had a lot of syptoms since my first pregnancy and have been treated for the syptoms but not the cause. Also have not seen anywhere that it could be the cause. Has anyone else suffered with anything similar????
I would love to know that I am not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Re: can pregnancy cause hypothyroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by didi30 View Post
I had my first pregnancy 6 years years ago and started to get really severe migranes I had severe anemia. Also had constipation. After I had my daughter my anemia went but was still left with the migranes. Doctors couldn't give me a diagnosis as to why and put it down to "one of those things". I had my second child 3 years ago and during that pregnancy I again had severe anemia which again went after I gave birth. Also whilst pregnant I began to suffer with terrible pains in my legs my skin was extremely dry and had very bad fatigue. Which obviously was put down to pregnancy. All other test came back as normal.
After my son was born I became depressed especially when I was unable to produce any breast milk for him, started with very heavy periods and my headaches and body pains continued. My doctor treated me for my depression and for the bleeding which did get better. My bloods then showed that I was borderline hypothyroid and was told that they would just keep an eye on it. Every few months I went back for more bloods and was told that it was all getting better. ( I don't know what the levels were just that I didn't need any medication).
However the last few months My health really went down hill and I had more bloods done to find out that my T4 had dropped to 1.7 and my tsh had gone up to 100+. Needless to say that I ended up in hospital so they could sort me out.
After researching hypothyroid I have realised that I have had a lot of syptoms since my first pregnancy and have been treated for the syptoms but not the cause. Also have not seen anywhere that it could be the cause. Has anyone else suffered with anything similar????
I would love to know that I am not alone.
Yes. Pregnancy increases your body's need for thyroid hormone. I think something like 2% of women end up hypothyroid after pregnancy. This happened to me after the birth of my daughter 21 years ago and I have been on thyroid replacement ever since.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: can pregnancy cause hypothyroid?

Same here! After the birth of my daughter almost 3 years ago, I became constipated, cold, TIRED, had dry skin and hair, and depressed. I thought I was going to seriously lose it. Finally, at a pap smear 6 months after her birth, my doctor noticed my neck was thicker than normal. I did test positive for hypothyroidism. The doc. put me on synthroid and I took it for 2 years. I'm now 100%! So...YES, pregnancy can trigger hypothyroidism.

It's sneaky and easy to miss. A lot of doctors misinterpret it for depression.

Last edited by LauraLu; 05-19-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Closed Thread