It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

Shadowedheathen HB User
endometrial ablation and tubal question

Hello,
I'm new here and I am looking for advice. A bit of history on me. Ten years ago I had my son by c-section. After I was all healed up I started having very very heavy periods, major cramping enough that I was taking vicoden the week leading up to, the week of and a few days after my period. I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured and I had to have a laproscopy to clean it out. Two years ago after dealing with this for 8 years I went to my gyno and they started testing for endometriosis. I was put on nuvoring (which by the way is the GREATEST) for the entire month for a six month period. It stopped the period, stopped the cramps. It was absolutely wonderful. The doctor still decided to do an exploratory laproscopy to check for endo tissue and fibriods. All he found was extensive scaring from my c-section which he cleaned out. Since there was no sign of then endo and I didn't have insurance the doc took me off the nuvoring and chalked the pain up to IBS and sent me to a gastro guy.

For a year and a half i've been switched from acid reducer to acid reducer. The gastro guy wouldn't listen when i told him that i didn't have acid reflux or heartburn.

I have insurance once again and went to a new Gyno for the yearly pap smear and to see about a tubal. When he was taking my history he question the previous laproscopies and procedures I'd had done 2 years before. He is recommending that along with the tubal I also have the ablation. He said that it may not stop my period that only 50% of cases is the period totally gone but that it should reduce the bleeding and stop the horrible cramping.

How does this measure up to what those of you who have had these procedures experienced?

Also with a tubal, in case the ablation does not work, can nuvoring still be used to entirely take away the period like I've been doing for the past couple of months? I forgot to ask the Dr. that question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: endometrial ablation and tubal question

Hello Shadow,

If the Nuvaring was working, may I ask why your doctor took you off it ? (is this because of insurance ?) How old are you ?

IBS is an unlikely diagnosis since the pain was occuring cyclically with your period and goes along with heavy menstrual bleeding. Also, you said that the pain was period like cramping. I do not think that IBS pain is the same thing.

As for the acid reducers, I was under the impression that these are usually used for acid reflux and hiatal hernia or Barret's esophagus and ulcer type cases in order to reduce the damage that would be caused to the esophagus should stomach acid reflux back into the esophagus. I am not sure what these drugs do for IBS except perhaps to slow down your digestive system (acid reducers do this because your stomach needs acid in order to move things along .. as a result, proton pump inhibitors and antacids reduce the acid and keep things in the stomach longer).

If the problem is indeed in your digestive system, then an endoscopy / colonoscopy (or sigmoidoscopy) would help to actually find the cause. However, from your description of when the pain occurs (it is cyclical with your menstrual cycle), the type of pain, the fact that it goes along with heavy menstrual bleeding AND when the problem started (after your C-section), this all points to a gynecological problem.

Also, you said that your doctor found a lot of scar tissue during your lap. This may very well be co-incidental but it also may not. Your uterus is obviously not contracting properly during your menstrual cycle and this is creating the problem of cramps and excessive bleeding. The problem may very well stem from your C-section.

Endometrial ablation may be the right solution for you but you will have to do some serious consideration. For example, there is a lady on these boards that has mentioned that after her endo ablation, she had irregular bleeding but was unable to have an effective endometrial biopsy because of the scar tissue that forms in the uterus after an ablation. This means that they can no longer test for endometrial cancer if the question ever arises in the future. Doctors will not mention this as something to consider for some reason. Also, sometimes the lining grows back and you are back where you started. Do some reading on the procedure before deciding. Hopefully some other ladies will come on these boards to give you their own experience. My experience was with irregular bleeding and ovarian cysts and not with endo ablation. My irregular bleeding was because of prolonged pill use.

Although I am not a fan of hormonal birth control, I have to admit that in cases of endometriosis and pain such as yours, it does seem to be one of the few solutions barring surgery. Depending on your age, physical condition and family history, the Nuvaring may be something to reconsider. Oh and by the way, sometimes endo could be very very small, cause a lot of pain and they never find it. This means that a diagnosis of endo should not be dismissed entirely.

I hope you find the right solution for this problem and that the pain will no longer be an issue for you in the future. Take good care of yourself.

Estria

Closed Thread