It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

Jean30 HB User
hysteroscopy

I need some reassurance. I'm 51 yrs old, have been menopausal for 8 yrs. I've had infertility problems all my life, endometriosis, fibroids etc. For years I've had ultrasounds to check the size of fibroids/lining and all has been ok. I just recently went for my ultrasound and they found my lining to be 7mm. My Dr. did a uterine biopsy and all was ok. Pap was ok also. The OBGYN wants to do a hysteroscopy. I'm worried #1 about the procedure and #2 about the lining being so thick. Of course I can't get the word cancer out of my mind. I've been having cystitis problems lately w/cramping and my hormones are a mess (close to zero progesterone.) What could be the reasons for the lining getting so thick? I was told by my Dr. that it should be 5mm.
Thanks for any help.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Re: hysteroscopy

I just had a hysteroscopy and D&C done for the same reason - 16mm lining. I am 52 and not menopausal yet but because of my age and some dyfuntional bleeding my doctors were concerned. I am still waiting for results. Estrogen makes the uterine lining thicken and so, after menopause, they really want to know where the estrogen is coming from. Too much estrogen after menopause can cause your uterine lining to swell and can eventually lead to endometrial cancer, especially if your progesterone is also low. It could be that you have a polyp or a fibroid or a cyst that is producing estrogen or perhaps some external source of estrogen. Or, it could be that 7mm is entirely normal for you. I was such a nervous wreck before my procedures and several women on this board encouraged me and calmed me down. I had my procedures done 2 days ago in the hospital as an outpatient under general anesthesia. It really wasn't a big deal. I'm glad I did because I would rather know that everything is OK. If there is a problem then I will be glad to get on top of it. I was up and about right after surgery with very minimal pain and bleeding and am feeling almost back to normal today. If you are having a hysteroscopy without the D&C it will be much simpler and you will have very little recovery time. I would just go do it and ease your mind. Blessings - jrose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

Jean30 HB User

Thank you jrose for posting. I had a feeling it might be my overload of estrogen. Lately so many things are going wrong and too many tests for me. I appreciate your help. I've been really worried.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean30 View Post
Thank you jrose for posting. I had a feeling it might be my overload of estrogen. Lately so many things are going wrong and too many tests for me. I appreciate your help. I've been really worried.
Well - if they didn't find anything on ultrasound and biopsy then I wouldn't worry too much but sometimes those procedures can miss problems. With the hysteroscopy, your doctor will be able to see very clearly inside and may be able to take care of any problems right through the scope. My doctor said my uterus looked perfectly clear and he predicts that the pathology will come back completely normal. This eases my mind quite a bit but i still want to know for sure. I think the same thing will happen to you but it will be nice for you to have the peace of mind. Blessings - jrose

Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
(female)

Jean30 HB User

They did find fibroids and possible polyps on the ultrasound as well as the thickening. I, just like you will be happy to finally ease my mind.
It does upset me that after going to this OB for so many years, having infertility problems in the past, fibroids, endometriosis etc that she never even mentioned checking my hormones. I was the one that suggested it. UGH We really do have to take charge of our own healthcare matters I guess.
Thanks again. I will post when this whole mess is over with (hopefully)

Closed Thread