It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Numbness/tenderness in groin area

I had surgery in November 2009 for two inguinal hernias, in the groin area. I had the traditional method used, where two incisions about 3 inches each were made. The muscles and then the skin were sewn up with stitches for the repair. No mesh or anything was placed in the area.

I healed just fine and now only have scars, which hopefully will continue to fade over time. I do have some scar tissue, as I can feel ridges along the incision area.

I do notice that I still have some numbness and slight tenderness on the right side. This is normal for the surgery as nerves get cut through, and I was told it can take some time for the feeling to come back.

I talked to someone who told me that after their C-section, it took about 6 months for all numb areas to feel normal again. The way my surgery was done, the incisions were quite similar to a C-section. It would be about 5-6 inches total incisions and my muscles were cut through.

If any of you have had a C-section or surgery similar to mine, can you let me know what your experience was like with the healing process? Did it take over 6 months for everything to feel normal again? I wouldn't say it's completely numb... just more at the surface. When I shave, it feels odd, like I can feel it only somewhat. The tenderness is not bad, but for example, if my smaller dogs jump into my lap and lend on that spot, it hurts much more than anywhere else, like on the left side.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Numbness/tenderness in groin area

Muscle and nerve cells are the 2 type of cells that take the longest to grow and therefore, heal. Muscles can take up to 8+ months and nerves can be 9 months+...up to 2 years. Some people will always heal faster and some are slower. And then you might even end up with some permanent numbness. Nerves grow very slowly and some muscle cells can be several feet long(think about your thigh muscles)so they just take time.

Give it time.

Jenny

Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Numbness/tenderness in groin area

Thank you so much for your reply! This is very helpful. I just wanted reassurance that it's normal to take over 6 months. It isn't too severe, so if it was this way permanently, it wouldn't be too bad. It would be annoying though, yes, especially how it is a little bit tender. Thanks again!

Closed Thread