It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

peggy46 HB User
fear of taking medicine

is there other people who fear taking medicine ? i have anxiety attacks and perimenopause ive been told to take black cohosh,niacin,fish oil supplements ,but i fear taking medicine .i read the side effects before i start any type of medicine . i fear that i will have a side effect from it and die . the doctor told me these 3 supplements will help me . but how in the heck will i know that if i am scared to death of taking them? can anyone help me

Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: fear of taking medicine

Is it the number of meds perhaps interacting or just any med? If it's any med, you probably need some counseling to get over this fear. If it's the quantity, try taking one till you are comfortable with it and then adding another. I'm not aware of any of the ones you listed having a "serious" or life threatening side effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Just as an FYI, Niacin can cause something called a Niacin flush. My husband took it and thought he was having a heart attack.

I am afraid of taking medications too. Everyone should be cautious in taking anything new. I always research everything before I decide to take it or not.

Everything you are taking is supplements and technically not medications, although like the Niacin, they can have side effects.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
(female)

stillbright HB User

If your doctor has given you the okay to try these medicines, they are probably worth a shot. I used to be very afraid to take medication myself, not liking having to swallow pills, so I understand your fear.

I agree with one of the responses above me that a form of counseling to help you combat this fear will be beneficial to you. Perhaps you should seek out someone you can talk to about this, who can give you the tools to work through your phobia. I know you can do it! Don't give up.

Best of luck,
Bright

Closed Thread